Oil Change Light/Reminder

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is the oil change reminder light triggered in a newer Toyota/Lexus vehicle? I was told two different things; one, it was triggered by mileage and I was also told it was triggered by counting ignition/fuel pulses. Please respond if you know for sure, thanks.

Depends on the car. My 04 Highlander goes by miles. The newer Lexi go by time/crankshaft rotations. I have yet to see a Toyota with the sophisticated setup, but I haven't really looked.

As of 2009 it is still a mileage counter. My Corolla S goes off every 5k, regardless of what type of driving those 5k miles consisted of.

I agree, and am surprised that GM has had a system that is so much more sophisticated for a long time, and Toyota hasn't matched it.

Originally Posted By: Alex38
I agree, and am surprised that GM has had a system that is so much more sophisticated for a long time, and Toyota hasn't matched it.

I am surprised too that Toyota doesn't have something similar to the GM system.

I know on my 03 Buick that the OLM varies widely based on driving conditions (3,200mi all in town, 5,500 mix in town highway, and currently all highway at 8,500mi and hasn't gone off yet).

Frankly I'm surprised GM implemented such a (relatively) sophisticated and well designed system considering some of their other *gems* of engineering like the goofy way they wire up the DRLs through the BCM in some of their vehicles causing too high of a voltage (along with voltage spikes) that burn out the DRLs permaturely. At least that was an easy fix - cut the 2 input wires from the light switch to the BCM and cut the two output wires from the BCM to the DRLs/running lights and splice the wires together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back