OIL CHANGE INTERVAL LOW USE CLASSIC CAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1965 Valiant with slant six 225ci engine. It does a maximum 1000k/m a year. When it does get used most trips are more than 15 k/m and engine is always warmed up before driving off. I change the oil & filter once a year. Should I extend this change period? Oil comes out near new when drained. It uses Valvoline Xld 20w/50 sj/sl. Thanks
cool.gif

Last edited:
Given that XLD on sale from SCA and one of their filters is maybe $30, and rego is more like $700, either 1 year or two is noise

If it is stored outdoors or where there are humidity and temperature extremes, condensation could be an issue requiring more frequent changes. If it's stored in a relatively climate controlled environment and always warmed up enough when driven to drive off water vapor, long intervals should be ok.

if put up for winter storage. change oil when you park it. don't run it. put up on jack stands so no flatspot tires and put on a trickle charger.
when taken out of storage drive for. nice long 30 minute- 1 hour drive to burn off any condensation.

Please be cautious, many times putting a car on stands allows the suspension to hang on the bushings, distorting them terribly. It can be disastrous on some cars!

I have noticed this once a year oil change recommendation before for little used cars but no actual factual reason for it.

It appears to be a male thing that you have done something to improve the reliability of the car by changing the oil!

Can anyone point me in the direction of a suite of UOA that shows oil degrades after a year compared to say two years or three year in the sump with similar engines and use.

Sorry the usual "it's cheap insurances" does not do it for me as you insure against a risk that no one can actually pinpoint with quantitative data.

eddie

Last edited:
I have a '98 Z28 that sees very low miles. I change at 2yr/3000 miles.

I had a UOA done after 2.5 years. There was high iron from leaching but everything else was within reason. I don't see a problem with longer interval changes.

I cut open the Purolator filter, IIRC, and did not see any ill effects, though with different oil/filter combos YMMV.

I have a 71 MGB that I drive very little also. I do yearly oil and filter changes. Do I need too, probably not, but its worth it to me. Great car you have. I had a 63 that my sister and I shared when we were just starting to drive. Had the 3 speed push button trans, and that slant six and transmission were bullet proof.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Please be cautious, many times putting a car on stands allows the suspension to hang on the bushings, distorting them terribly. It can be disastrous on some cars!

I agree.
I owned a classic '69 Corvette for many years I used for car shows and cruise nights.
I would change the oil yearly before winter storing.Also added 40 lbs of air in the tires.
Stored in a attached garage.

Take an oil sample after a year, send it off to a lab and see what they tell you, base your OCI on that. It can probably easily go 2 years maybe more. W/O a UOA all any of us is doing is guessing.

Originally Posted By: Bud
I have a 71 MGB that I drive very little also. I do yearly oil and filter changes. Do I need too, probably not, but its worth it to me. Great car you have. I had a 63 that my sister and I shared when we were just starting to drive. Had the 3 speed push button trans, and that slant six and transmission were bullet proof.

I had a slant 6 too in an old Plymouth. They run forever, even when using a lot of oil toward the end of their life. Gotta remember to put oil in an oil burner, though. All the slant sixes I have ever seen blow up the #6 sticks a baseball size hole thru the block near the starter motor.

I have an 88 5.0 Mustang that I drive ~1300km/year. I'd change the oil/filter in April when the car came out of storage, then I'd just change the oil before storage again in Oct. Many will say overkill but what is an extra $20/year for the vehicle you love? You could probably get away with 1/year change easily.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Given that XLD on sale from SCA and one of their filters is maybe $30, and rego is more like $700, either 1 year or two is noise

Jeez, you don't get a price break on antique cars?
crazy2.gif

I have a similar low yearly mileage car (70 Camaro). The only difference is it appears that you let yours warm up a bit before driving off, I drive of and make sure car is at full operating temp for awhile before coming back. I have sent samples to Blackstone after my last 3 oil changes. All reports came back fine. The last one had 3 years between changes. Your yearly change is more than enough.

How old is the Valvoline Xld 20w/50? if the oil has been sitting around a few years - I'd change it every other year in the car. If it's fresh oil, you're probably good for 3 years at a paltry 600 miles/yr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back