Oil Change Instruction for Teenagers

It takes plenty of time and patience. Do not let them do anything! Demonstrate the entire oil change from start to finish while they record it with their cell phones, and stop to answer their questions. If they don't ask any, prompt them in order to promote critical thinking and be patient, they don't have any experience on the subject. Have them review their cell phone footage and field any questions they may have. Then, on the NEXT oil change have them describe their plan first by using your original demonstration as a guide. Then with your supervision carry out the service helping them along the way. The most important thing is to not intervene whith their learning unless it's a phyiscal challenge. Patience and repetition is the key; Rome wasn't built in one day. These are 13 year olds we're talking about here.

Last edited:
Oh boy... When my stepson got his license at 17, he suddenly decided he knew everything about cars DESPITE my attempts to teach him anything up to that point. If memory serves, I probably walked him through a couple of oil changes. One afternoon, he wanted to change his oil. I had somewhere to be and asked him to wait until I got back. Of course, he didn't want to wait so I helped him get the car supported and went to run my errand. Upon my return I come back to him running around the driveway and the entire driveway covered in oil. What did you do, I asked. You know the plug on the drain pans you need to remove so the oil funnels in? He left that in.
Another time, I was changing the oil in my wifes Kia Sorento. He insisted on getting the drain plug. I say ok, get it. He slides the pan out to me and I think huh... Why is the oil blue? He drained the TRANSMISSION. Thank god it was a clean pan and I was able to pour it back in and then drain the engine oil.
Hes thirty now and a police officer. The 3/8 socket set I gifted him years ago in my basement. I think he faced the facts and realized some people just aren't mechanics.
My sixteen year old gets it. He has assisted me on quite a few jobs and has a high level of attention to detail. I have high hopes for him.

Many good points here. When someone does something for the first time I always tell them not to start a a job after the parts store is closed. Some people need the vehicle that day, so if they messed up the drain plug or didn't have a crush washer on hand they could be on a bind.

I would probably watch a few videos with them on YouTube first to give them an idea of what will happen before you climb underneath a car with them. Also have them get all tools together and supplies and extra paper towels and cardboard etc.

Last edited:
Nice engine to learn how to strip the drain plug on. First you better tech them how to use properly set and use a torque wrench.
Seriously these and a few other aluminum pans are notorious and will not take over tightening by very much. I use a TW on all aluminum pans regardless, pay close attention to the threads when you remove one that you didn't tighten.

General info. always use a quality torque tool of the correct size, do go go after a 18ft.lb bolt with the trusty HF 1/2" drive, its a guaranteed strip out. A 3/8 drive wrench 7-50 ft.lb would be ideal. If you are going to work with aluminum and most engine today use a lot of it these tools are a must have even for weekend warriors.
Their other car is a Toyota V6 with the cartridge oil filter and an oil pan where the quick lube has already semi-fubared the threads (I had to clean up the threads with a tap), so I think the RDX might be the better candidate.

One other thing I do is I have a card for each of these occasional jobs (oil change on the Honda, oil change on the BMW, etc) with all the required tools, specs and supplies listed. That way I know what socket to use, which oil, how much, torque specs, etc. I don't start the job until I have it all there and I just find that makes the whole job go better.

Most of us on Bob have been doing it for years and have forgotten that a simple oil change requires all sorts of knowledge and mechanical skills. It's also a good place to start.

One other thing I do is I have a card for each of these occasional jobs (oil change on the Honda, oil change on the BMW, etc) with all the required tools, specs and supplies listed. That way I know what socket to use, which oil, how much, torque specs, etc. I don't start the job until I have it all there and I just find that makes the whole job go better.
I do something similar. With 6 cars to change oil, I can't remember all the detail for each one. This way, everything is laid out at the onset. It saves from running back and forth.

Most of us on Bob have been doing it for years and have forgotten that a simple oil change requires all sorts of knowledge and mechanical skills. It's also a good place to start.

True. It is not just the act of changing the oil. The knowledge of knowing which tool to use and how to use it properly is a key point here.

Many of us including myself spent time under cars with our fathers watching him perform maintenance. We learned about tools by passing them to him. In a way it was a rite of passage for a young kid and afterwards sharing the pleasure of a job well done.

Today’s kids don’t get that anymore because their parents didn’t get it either. Getting the oil change means driving to the quickie lube for most.

I would let them watch and explain what you are doing and maybe why and see how well they pick that up before investing any real time with them, to me 13 is a little young at least for the 13 year olds I have been around.

I am not the best teacher
Michael, I have to call baloney on this... You are very well spoken and direct. You have no bias.
And you freely share your knowledge and even materials.
You learned somewhere along the line; perhaps that same instruction will work for them.

Having said that, what I kinda wished I learned (and did wrong) includes:
Proper use of tools, the correct tool for the job and tool care (aka cleanup and put away).
Then safety. And safety. Safety 1st.

Finally, not everyone is cut out to be a wrench. And that's OK.
You will do a great job. Those kids gonna brag on you at school.

Explain "briefly" the purpose the tools and steps. Let them engage and validate after done.

My dad who never drove a car till 23 arriving in USA as foreign student taught me age 15 when I started driving. My father in law taught my wife age 16.

Demonstrate first, then watch a video on it (cris fix has an easy one for beginners). Then watch them do it...provide them with cues and pointers along the way and anticipate problems they will encounter before they actually start that step.

Isn’t it normally a fathers job to teach his sons such things?
I’m not harping on fathers “job” but I certainly agree with wanting the father there, present, involved and engaged. I have safety concerns here.

does the vehicle have to be lifted?:

It’s not a one-episode thing. You can’t possibly pass on the task, the safety steps, and the lessons-learned in one episode. I have 2 kids. Both know how and have done it with me several times. As a dad and teacher of my kids, I can see which one I’d trust to do it themselves, and which one I would not. because this is a physical activity with mechanical understandings With life safety, I wouldn’t treat it as a math tutorial. If your neighbor doesn’t understand this, I’d show him this entire thread. I’m leaning against just simply saying “yes.”

as it is, my son, who is army rotc and an engineering student, came home one day and did it himself. He’s done this with me 4-5 times. But you know what? The skid pan fell off on the highway and got all tore up. He still hasn’t gotten the feel of it. I love my son - he’s smart, but he wasn’t 100% ready.

i was under a car in high school when the ramp collapsed. it was my fault that it wasn’t on solid ground. I didn’t have the wisdom or the judgment that an experienced adult might have had. I’d been under it many times. In fact, I’d helped pull, rebuild, and install the engine and was good with tools....just not enough time learning from experienced people. Much wisdom was learned there. Mistakes is part of the learning. But big mistakes that a newbie won’t see coming needs someone else there to recognize. Do you want to live with that if he develops a false confidence and gets hurt?

I was under vehicles with my dad, and also with friends, many many times before any competence was gained. As adults, I’ve now assisted other adults, and theyve learned some things along the way (and me too). But adults hopefully have more maturity, focus, ideally more accountability, and ..... they asked me for themself. They have the interest.

id start with washing, waxing, to see get a feel for the kid’s interest.

AND, I would insist that dad be there, present and involved, IF I even felt comfortable helping them at all. Perhaps I’d offer to teach his dad, and see if dad had any interest himself.

I know I’m probably preaching here.... changing oil is pretty simple. But jacks, jack stands, and ramps are entirely something else if you need them.

im not a fear-first person normally. But this one has me uncomfortable.

Thank you for all of the tips and valid concerns.

As some posters mentioned, it was impossible to teach the entire process (lifting, actual oil change, reset OLM, clean-up, etc) in one session. Lifting the vehicle, resetting the OLM, maintenance-related inspections and clean-up of the work area are items to be taught during a future session.

When the kids arrived with their father, I already had the vehicle lifted and supported with jack stands. I also had the passenger front wheel removed for improved access.

Prior to this session the kids watched the youtube video suggested by @JC1 that is specific to the RDX.

The kids were shown how-to and successfully accomplished the following:
  1. Check the oil level prior to service.
  2. Remove the oil cap and dipstick prior to service.
  3. Verifying the correct parts prior to service (Quantity/grade/type of oil, correct oil filter and crush washer)
  4. Locating the engine oil drain plug and oil filter
  5. Draining the oil and removing the filter. My new form-a-funnel worked perfect for this vehicle (see picture).
  6. Threading on the drain plug without damaging the threads, plus torquing the drain plug to spec with a new crush washer. When we tightened the drain plug, we turned the torque wrench together.
  7. Cleaning the filter mounting area and properly tightening the new filter.
  8. Adding the correct amount of oil, checking for leaks and confirming the proper oil level after service.
Everyone had fun and there was zero mess made, which was very impressive. The drymate oil spill mat and the form-a-funnel really came in handy.

After the kids completed their work, I double-checked the drain plug, oil filter and oil level. I also cleaned the surrounding areas (subframe and exhaust) of any splatter.

I completed the usual housekeeping items that the kids did not do (checking the lights, testing the battery, inflating tire pressures to spec, top-off washer fluid, reset OLM, etc.). Plus I also volunteered to do some other maintenance items (brake fluid flush, transmission service). Overall, I think it was a meaningful, productive and successful evening for all parties.

Attachments

• ED7CD052-DD32-4134-9889-D6A7624FB564.jpeg
    ED7CD052-DD32-4134-9889-D6A7624FB564.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 19
  • BCAE26CB-E926-463B-9A5A-E7D826D47E1F.jpeg
    BCAE26CB-E926-463B-9A5A-E7D826D47E1F.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
You know the plug on the drain pans you need to remove so the oil funnels in? He left that in.
Hey now, I just did that myself. :ROFLMAO: In my defense, it was only the 2nd time I used it - I always used the simple, open catch containers. I can tell you that the top basin area in a Flo Tools 16-quart pan holds over 4 quarts !! 😁 I got lucky.

Thank you for all of the tips and valid concerns.

As some posters mentioned, it was impossible to teach the entire process (lifting, actual oil change, reset OLM, clean-up, etc) in one session. Lifting the vehicle, resetting the OLM, maintenance-related inspections and clean-up of the work area are items to be taught during a future session.

When the kids arrived with their father, I already had the vehicle lifted and supported with jack stands. I also had the passenger front wheel removed for improved access.

Prior to this session the kids watched the youtube video suggested by @JC1 that is specific to the RDX.

The kids were shown how-to and successfully accomplished the following:
  1. Check the oil level prior to service.
  2. Remove the oil cap and dipstick prior to service.
  3. Verifying the correct parts prior to service (Quantity/grade/type of oil, correct oil filter and crush washer)
  4. Locating the engine oil drain plug and oil filter
  5. Draining the oil and removing the filter. My new form-a-funnel worked perfect for this vehicle (see picture).
  6. Threading on the drain plug without damaging the threads, plus torquing the drain plug to spec with a new crush washer. When we tightened the drain plug, we turned the torque wrench together.
  7. Cleaning the filter mounting area and properly tightening the new filter.
  8. Adding the correct amount of oil, checking for leaks and confirming the proper oil level after service.
Everyone had fun and there was zero mess made, which was very impressive. The drymate oil spill mat and the form-a-funnel really came in handy.

After the kids completed their work, I double-checked the drain plug, oil filter and oil level. I also cleaned the surrounding areas (subframe and exhaust) of any splatter.

I completed the usual housekeeping items that the kids did not do (checking the lights, testing the battery, inflating tire pressures to spec, top-off washer fluid, reset OLM, etc.). Plus I also volunteered to do some other maintenance items (brake fluid flush, transmission service). Overall, I think it was a meaningful, productive and successful evening for all parties.
Sounds like it was a good success. Glad to hear.

Hey now, I just did that myself. :ROFLMAO: In my defense, it was only the 2nd time I used it - I always used the simple, open catch containers. I can tell you that the top basin area in a Flo Tools 16-quart pan holds over 4 quarts !! 😁 I got lucky.
I have done this as well - but in a different way. I removed the drain plug and allowed it to drop into the pan. The plug was just the right size and plugged the center drain hole.

Glad you taught them. I know it feels good when I learn something so I am sure they probably did too. I normally do mine on ramps but having to take the wheel off I definitely would of had to use a Jack so that is good you had one available to use and everything.

Safety is the most important thing. Car in park, E brake on and blocks behind the rear wheels. Don’t let them drive up on the ramps themselves. Don’t get fancy by trying a hot oil change. Trying to teach them proper torque is tough. Tell them, snug but don’t be a gorilla. For the filter, tighten as much as their working hand can put out. No tool. No designer jeans allowed. Safety glasses would be good. Good luck. With oil changes becoming a once per year thing ( depending on OCI and amount driven) they might wonder why they need to learn this, unfortunately. Then, someone has to put them to the test and they need to do one themselves. You can check the torque. Then take out in the car they just changed the oil in, a go out for burgers. ;)

Back