Oil Change Instruction for Teenagers

Trying to teach them proper torque is tough. Tell them, snug but don’t be a gorilla.
Use a short tool, ideally a ratchet (1/4" is even better) that's 6-8" long. Have them choke up and hold it right below the ratchet head and not at the very end of the tool.

Use a short tool, ideally a ratchet (1/4" is even better) that's 6-8" long. Have them choke up and hold it right below the ratchet head and not at the very end of the tool.
The “crushing effect” of a new washer also makes the feel a bit disconcerting to a newbie. I figured that I would start them off with a torque wrench until they can develop the appropriate feel.

Reactions: JC1
The “crushing effect” of a new washer also makes the feel a bit disconcerting
Yes, it does. When I did the first oil change on my Infiniti, they (Nissan) use a crush washer that's not just a regular, flat piece so it literally does crush or smash. First time I did that, I felt it crush and said "oh ****" to myself. It felt just like a stripped fastener.

Well never JUST use a jack. Jacking to get it up then chassis stands under it is fine
I am old, I was thinking bumper jack. I have seen then fall before the jack stand was in position, Cost the kid fender liner, and was veryr close to smashing his arm.

to be honest . For life ability . I would denied the training thing . If something happen to them the family will blame on you .

cause safety is the main concern here . Where to put the jack stand . Chock the tires . How to drive the car up the ramp ...

Get a MightyVac fluid extra extractor and none of the wheels need to leave the ground. Get a car where oil filter is under the hood and is vertical. By the time you extract the oil, the oil filter is already empty. Unscrew the filter and hold a rag in it. Screw on the new filter. Add oil. Evacuate the old oil into waste container.

I am old, I was thinking bumper jack. I have seen then fall before the jack stand was in position, Cost the kid fender liner, and was veryr close to smashing his arm.
And that’s a very good reason not to use a bumper jack. Kid was lucky 😞

I would have the kids come over and watch the first few times then hand it over to them while you supervise.

Show them how to find capacities and make them search for the correct filter/ oil viscosity as well as finding the right wrench.

I would prefer to show them On something that doesn’t need to be on ramps.

If they care, they can learn all about it on Youtube. My boy is only 5 and he learns all about things that interest him there. (Mindcraft lately)

Not sure why age 13 would want to learn this. They are years away from driving or being employed as a lube tech.

No matter how good you demonstrate the process it just wont matter to them at this age.

If they care, they can learn all about it on Youtube. My boy is only 5 and he learns all about things that interest him there. (Mindcraft lately)

Not sure why age 13 would want to learn this. They are years away from driving or being employed as a lube tech.

No matter how good you demonstrate the process it just wont matter to them at this age.
If they lived in my state they would be eligible for a permit in a year. I had an interest in these things before learning how to drive...depends on whether or not they are mechanically inclined to learn how to DIY or are interested in cars or not. If they see vehicles as only a way to get from A to B, then no they probably won't be interested.

Some kids are more interested in things at certain ages than others. My friend just bought their child their first car...their child is 14. Their child has been obsessed with Mustangs since really little, so the opportunity presented itself and they bought their child a low mileage pre-owned, late model Mustang for when they turn 16.

If they are gear heads they would already know how to oil changes and more before 13. Friend of mines kid is younger than that and can mig weld fairly well, for example.

I would keep it simple at first, don't make the boys do everything on their own right off the bat.
1st time: drain case, plug, fill oil, change filter, test run, top off, done.
2nd time: drain case, torque plug, fill oil while explaining viscosities and appropriate service intervals, change oil filter and check for filter gasket stuck on engine, tighten filter properly, test run, check for leaks, top off, done.
Then you can get into the metaphysical and spiritual practices related to oil changes. But go easy on them at first.

Back