Oil change in the Nissan fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Nissan Altima with 200k. Has the 3.5 v6
Pushed my dad to buy the M1 HM 10w-30 (he’s a M1 guy) because I’ve heard different posters talk about how the Nissan engines shear oil. He bought M1 HM 5w-30 and the Fram Ultra. Le sigh. He didn’t want to change 5 to 10w just on my recommendation because he’s an owners manual guy.

For the 2007 Nissan Pathfinder with 4L v6 120k mi I was able to get mom to purchase the M1 HM 10w-30 and Fram Ultra.

In Florida 5w vs 10w makes no difference.

What say you? Would you run something different? Why or why not?

Did not M1 HM 10w30 used to be ACEA A3, b4 high HTHS?

Havent looked at a Xom datsheet in a couple months.

That would make a diff for sure.

In Florida you can bet I'd be running 10w30 I can almost always find it on sale cheaper than 5w-30. I just bought 3 Jugs of Havoline for $13 a Jug and then got a rebate on it that beats any Walmart Rollback and Mobil rebate price.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Pushed my dad to buy the M1 HM 10w-30 (he’s a M1 guy) because I’ve heard different posters talk about how the Nissan engines shear oil. He bought M1 HM 5w-30 and the Fram Ultra. Le sigh. He didn’t want to change 5 to 10w just on my recommendation because he’s an owners manual guy.

For the 2007 Nissan Pathfinder with 4L v6 120k mi I was able to get mom to purchase the M1 HM 10w-30 and Fram Ultra.

In Florida I would be using the 10w. In my opinion, the oil your mother picked is excellent. In Florida the 10w does make a difference. Higher base oil = better oil for the valve train.

And yes, Mobil1 HM 5w has an HTHS of 3.1 where the 10w has an HTHS of 3.5 and the 10w works well for me.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Did not M1 HM 10w30 used to be ACEA A3, b4 high HTHS?

Havent looked at a Xom datsheet in a couple months.

That would make a diff for sure.

10w-30
A3/B3 HTHS 3.5
KV100 12.1
KV40. 78

5w-30
A5/B5 HTHS 3.1
KV100 12.1
KV40 72

The higher HTHS says less VII to me

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
In Florida you can bet I'd be running 10w30.

In Florida you can run 0w20 or 5w20 with zero issues. Ran 5w20 for 300K miles in a 4.6 V8 Town Car and now running 0w20 in my Tahoe. All on Mobil 1. That is also in tons of gridlock with a/c constantly on.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010

I agree in a moderate climate you will see little to no difference between 5w30 and 10w30. But I would still run the manufacturer's spec 5w30.

Pushing dad to use HM oil based on the internet, I don't know about that. If he's got 200k miles, obviously he's doing something right. Again, I would run what's in the owner's manual, not only because that's the spec but because it's worked great so far. Don't fix something that isn't broken. If there are leaks or other symptoms that can be addressed with HM oil, maybe suggest it to him and leave it at that?

Otherwise it's not needed. And apparently if you had to push him, it's not wanted either. At least you got mom to cave.

DGXR,

Go back and read my post why he (and anyone in a temperate climate) would be better off with 10w.

And at 200k the engine is no longer in manufacturers spec. There are other benefits to a HM oil other than conditioning seals. HTHS is never a bad thing for an older, high mileage, engine.

It’s not about high mileage oil, it is about 10w-30 being more resistant to shear vs 5w-30. The VQ engines are known to shear down oils as shown in UOA posted on site.

Perhaps you should learn more about oils and refrain from interjecting your opinion on how to discuss things with family into a discussion about engine oil.

Read the "23k on Mobil Super" thread. Now think of arguing over M1 HM 5w30 vs 10w30. Not going to make a difference in the life of the engine. I've owned close to forty cars and the only engines I've killed were a coolant loss and a (deeply discounted) Ford Festiva that I bought that probably got one oil change in its first 28K. Died after 110,000 miles.

Modern engines seldom wear out. It's usually something else that kills the car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: csandste
Read the "23k on Mobil Super" thread. Now think of arguing over M1 HM 5w30 vs 10w30. Not going to make a difference in the life of the engine. I've owned close to forty cars and the only engines I've killed were a coolant loss and a (deeply discounted) Ford Festiva that I bought that probably got one oil change in its first 28K. Died after 110,000 miles.

Modern engines seldom wear out. It's usually something else that kills the car.

I agree with your points. However, for the same price, why not select the viscosity that is most suitable for the application?

Originally Posted By: Eddie
200,000 miles doing what the owner did and someone wants to change what works? Ed

Yes because now it’s burning some oil. And the other reasons I have posted previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back