Oil change for Porsche 718 2.T

Have an appointment in a few days for oil service at a local shop for my 718 cayman. They tend to fill with Liquimolly 5w40 but I have a few jugs of M1 5w40 FS I was thinking to bring with me and use instead. Both oils carry the A40 approval (along with most of the same German mfg approvals) so I guess it just comes down to preference. Should I go with the M1 over LM?

They may be weirded out by it. Liquid Moly is a good oil but it's odd many of their oils don't contain moly. Ask for a discount if they will use your oil.

Why would they be weirded out by it? Its not uncommon to bring your oil of choice to a shop to have them perform the work.

Bring what you have and see if it's okay to use and just charge you labor+filter. I have to disagree with asking for a discount on a job where you bring your own parts, don't do that to auto shops. You don't ask for a discount at the grocery store, no?

Bring what you have and see if it's okay to use and just charge you labor+filter. I have to disagree with asking for a discount on a job where you bring your own parts, don't do that to auto shops. You don't ask for a discount at the grocery store, no?
I don't ask for a discount when I bring my oil and filter to the local shop. They end up only charging me $20 when I do that.

Have an appointment in a few days for oil service at a local shop for my 718 cayman. They tend to fill with Liquimolly 5w40 but I have a few jugs of M1 5w40 FS I was thinking to bring with me and use instead. Both oils carry the A40 approval (along with most of the same German mfg approvals) so I guess it just comes down to preference. Should I go with the M1 over LM?
Mobil1 is first fill in Porsche.
I would definitely go M1 over LM.

My indy MB/BMW shop recently went to using Liquimolly because he could get it cheaper than anything else. That's the only reason.
LM is good oil. Some of its oils are base stock group 3 and not syntheyic under German law. I've run LM in my car with no issues, but will switch to Ravenol at the next change. JMVHO YMMV

They may be weirded out by it. Liquid Moly is a good oil but it's odd many of their oils don't contain moly. Ask for a discount if they will use your oil.
Hopefully, you mean "ask for a discount if they won't use your oil"?

It's a major knobhead move otherwise ;)

Back