Oil change for a friend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have a friend of my lady who needs to have the oil changed in her 2011 Nissan Rogue SL 2.5. This is a freebie to help her save the money. It sees mostly in town short trips and has about 70k miles on it. So what oil would you all run it in? I have the following available... 1) Havoline Pro DS 5w30 2) Motorcraft 5w30 3) Castrol Magnatec 5w30 4) Formula Shell 5w30 or as a distant possibility 5) Castrol 0w30

Oil filters I have are 1) Wix 57356 2) Fram TG 3) Royal Purple 10-2867 4) Mobil 1 M1-110

I am thinking about running the Castrol Magnatec 5w30 and a Fram TG on there. What would y'all do??

Last edited:
I did an OCI on a Rogue back in May or June. I just used QSGB 5W-30 and a Napa Gold 1358. Since it's a freebie, I would use something cheaper since it's going to get short tripped. Either Formula Shell or Motorcraft will be good. Filters I'd use either the Wix or Fram. Save the upper tier filters for your car.

I was going to say the Magnatec and Wix.
What mileage you wanting to get out of the oil change? The Magnatec/Wix will do 7500 miles no problem.
Only use the TG if you use the Castrol (Which one specifically?) for a 10,000 mile interval.

What oil does the manual recommend and what is the oil change interval? Then how has the vehicle been maintained in the past? The lowest price properly rated oil and filter is more than is needed.

Well CT8 the vehicles manual is likely similar tolike mine. May well be now specd for 0w20 or 5w30 (conventional) which really is a misnomer anymore given that Havoline and Valvoline now make it plain that their conventional oils are synthetic blends.. 3750 miles for short trips.7500 miles if it's all or high percentage open highway operation.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Well CT8 the vehicles manual is likely similar tolike mine. May well be now specd for 0w20 or 5w30 (conventional) which really is a misnomer anymore given that Havoline and Valvoline now make it plain that their conventional oils are synthetic blends.. 3750 miles for short trips.7500 miles if it's all or high percentage open highway operation.
Yeah the lowest priced [ quality name brand ]oils are all that is needed for the longest engine life these days. Oils are that good.

Use whatever is in your stash that you want gone for your next purchase.

For a free oil change, that's all that's needed.

Yeah that's true Shannow. I just have it in my mind to put in another's vehicle what I would put in mine. But... I have run the Formula Shell in my car already
smile.gif

Well it was $18.68 at Wally World 5 qt container. Not bad. But it has gone up $4 in the last say 3-4 years. My upper limit to spend on oil is a fair amount higher than that.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Well, I have a friend of my lady who needs to have the oil changed in her 2011 Nissan Rogue SL 2.5. This is a freebie to help her save the money. It sees mostly in town short trips and has about 70k miles on it.

My answer depends E N T I R E L Y on "how often does she service her car"?

1) I do charity oil changes on some local "low-income" single moms, and the ones that check their oil often and are good about making sure they do maintenance get cheap conventional and cheap filters.
2) The ones I KNOW won't be back before 20,000 miles (or more!) has passed - all get good, extended life synthetic everything.

Originally Posted By: CT8
What oil does the manual recommend and what is the oil change interval? Then how has the vehicle been maintained in the past? The lowest price properly rated oil and filter is more than is needed.

this

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
Originally Posted By: CT8

this

Exactly. As long as an oil spec'd by the mfg. is used the OP's friend should be happy and thankful. Favors shouldn't be stressful, or over thought by the person doing them. And always remember, no good deed goes unpunished.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

My answer depends E N T I R E L Y on "how often does she service her car"?

1) I do charity oil changes on some local "low-income" single moms, and the ones that check their oil often and are good about making sure they do maintenance get cheap conventional and cheap filters.
2) The ones I KNOW won't be back before 20,000 miles (or more!) has passed - all get good, extended life synthetic everything.

My sentiments exactly...given that is sounds like money might be a major issue for her, you'd be doing her a double solid by using oil and a filter that could hold up to a long OCI on severe service (short tripping).
The OPer sounds like a nice fella! My hat's off to him for being kind to his neighbor...

One "favor" leads to another....and that's OK.

A relative's Saturn holds 4 quarts. It's dipstick was dry. The car need 3 quarts.

I now carry a stash of good, used oil whenever I visit THESE PEOPLE. (I swear. Go to Virginia-bring 2 gallons of "Chapter II Oil").

I'm forever dolling out large top offs - makes me feel good.

I can't get THESE PEOPLE to keep records or pay attention - makes me feel bad.

Then they giggle - makes me want to make sausages. Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira

A relative's Saturn holds 4 quarts. It's dipstick was dry. The car needed 3 quarts. I can't get THESE PEOPLE to keep records or pay attention - makes me feel bad.

I feel your pain. I do try (as tactfully as I possibly can) to include a lesson on personal responsibility when discussing vehicle maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Use whatever is in your stash that you want gone for your next purchase.

For a free oil change, that's all that's needed.

+1, if you are helping someone out with a freebee I would be using the oil that meets spec and was the cheapest oil you bought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back