Oil change disaster

Just a few oil changes ago I started pouring oil back into the crankcase without putting the plug back in. I'd poured less than 1/2 a quart when I thought about what I'd done. I was outside on a gravel drive so no mess to clean up. These are reasons we SHOULD ALWAYS check that the plug has been put back in before pouring and ALWAYS check for leaks when we're finished. Knock on wood. I've never had a double gasket. I remember it happening to my dad once, ever since I take a rag and wipe the filter sealing surface and check that there's not a gasket there.

I've done this one. It's always fun to try to get the now REALLY full drain pan out and drained back into the jugs as you have 2x as much waste oil as you planned on in the pan.

I was a world champion and left the drain plug in the oil catch drain pan.... I had to reach into rather warm oil to unscrew it and get it out of there. Thankful that maybe only half a quart spilled put in that whole fun show.

These stories remind me of the time I changed the oil in our Sequoia, got it all buttoned up, bolted the belly pan back on, then proceeded to gently pour the oil from the drain pan into two empty milk jugs, which I then put off to the side as I cleaned up the funnel and drain pan.

"Off to the side" to my tiny brain translated into "right behind the right front tire". I slid the drain pan and funnel back under the workbench where I store them, cleaned up all the tools, put them away, then hopped into the Sequoia to back out of the garage..... Ka-WOOMP SPLURT.

What in the world was that noise? Got out, walked around, and noticed my right front tire sitting on top of two flat milk jugs, as seven quarts of oil flowed unimpeded all over my garage floor, the garage walls, dripping from the underside of the truck, and everywhere else between here and the east coast. Oh my word, the expletives I created that day.

Strangely, a few months later there was no sign of that tragedy anywhere to be seen. Walls were clean, the floor wasn't stained, etc.

When I start my vehicle after an oil change I first look at engine area under the hood and then under vehicle. I hope to catch early what you had happen.

Hope you got non clumping kitty litter.

My cars take 5 quarts or more, so there is usually at least one 5qt jug as part of the change. So a full 5qts went in before I realized my mistake.

I was a world champion and left the drain plug in the oil catch drain pan.... I had to reach into rather warm oil to unscrew it and get it out of there. Thankful that maybe only half a quart spilled put in that whole fun show.

You are not a Car Dealer's Service Department-therefore on BITOG you get a free pass. If you worked at a dealer-this thread would go on ad nauseum, page after page saying how much better off you are doing it yourself. Obviously, in this case a flawed argument.

Well mistakes do happen but after all if you are doing this job you should be a professional at it, or at least very good, since you do oil changes often....not to mention that any shop should have two people to double check so a serious failure doesn't happen. 🙄

My cars take 5 quarts or more, so there is usually at least one 5qt jug as part of the change. So a full 5qts went in before I realized my mistake.

Yeah that is no bueno...

Did you have a extra supply on hand ??

If I did that... I would have something extra to put in. Nothing like 120 quarts... Maybe like 20-28.

The oil in my case was really a bit hot... Like my hand was a decent bit red from putting my hand in that catch drain pan... No burns thank goodness. But not pleasant either.

Yeah that is no bueno...

Did you have a extra supply on hand ??

If I did that... I would have something extra to put in. Nothing like 120 quarts... Maybe like 20-28.

The oil in my case was really a bit hot... Like my hand was a decent bit red from putting my hand in that catch drain pan... No burns thank goodness. But not pleasant either.

Yes, and extra cars. The most embarassing was losing the oil filler cap from oilBabe's 2017 Rav4. Had to make a run to the parts store for a replacement. That was a different time, but no less humiliating.

It happens to most of us. It's called an Exxon Valdez. I don't know of anyone who changes oil on a regular basis that hasn't spilled quite a little excess oil on the ground/garage floor at some point in time. Let's be honest, it happens and I appreciate your honesty. Now your are a member of the Exxon Valdez Club! Congrats!!!!! :):):):)

I actually have forgotten to put the drain plug back in one time. Drain pan had been removed so you know what happened to the oil.

BUT>>>>as I was changing oil in several cars in a row, I forgot to drain the oil in one of them and added 4 qts of a high priced synthetic.
Pulled car from lower driveway to my upper FLAT driveway to check the oil level and you talk about "up the stick"!!!!

That happened to me twice on same oil change, thought it was a bad filter put another one on and the floor got covered with oil in seconds. Turned out to be a bad filter housing, thread on nipple was bad. Had to have it towed for repair. Lost about 8 quarts of Amsoil on that floor, very very messy!

I experienced my one-and-only "stuck on gasket" on my brother's Odyssey van. It angered me obviously (because I did it) but it spooked my brother into never asking me for an oil change again. Just Saturday I heard his van start up with a rattling heat shield. Since oil change time is upon him I asked if he'd like to come over so we could do both jobs. He accepted.

Now watch the darn heat shield be of some bizarre design which cannot be secured. I'll never see him again!

Few mention what a colossal dippy-doo you feel like when you pull a boner like spilling any fluid for any reason.

The oil filter didn't tighten flush to the mount, and 3.5 quarts of synthetic 5w-20 covered the garage floor...

Been there.

Another way to say this is - you didn't tighten it flush to the mount.

Back