Oil change before car sitting 1 year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by rooflessVW

The battery will not hold a charge in that car for 2-3 months.

If he's not able to keep a tender on the car, it would be better to just remove the battery.

You learn something new everyday. If that's the case then split the difference and drive it once a month, or get a boost pack and jump it. Or prep it as stated earlier and leave it parked for the year, then jump it when his son gets home.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
OP keep in mind if someone in the parking lot hits it and runs you will be SOL w/o collision insurance on the car.

Yeah, I'd keep some kind of underinsured/no insurance coverage on it in case of a parking lot H&R... depending on the value of the car of course. You could change up deductibles, lower the liability level and drop other coverages like PIP or roadside assistance if you want to save some money. Does his insurance company penalize him for not being continuously insured, or do they give deployed service members a break??? Is there not another family member close by with driveway space?

Last edited:
To the OP, Where in the US are you located? Will the car be stored outdoors or indoors? If it's outdoors and not driven I would be worried aboit rust on the brake rotors and seized brakes if it sits for long.

If you can remove the battery and keep it on a battery tender that might be a good option. Will the computer on that car have any issues of you do that?

Above all, Thank your Son for his Service to this Great Country of ours.... God Bless him and to all his future endeavors.......
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
OP keep in mind if someone in the parking lot hits it and runs you will be SOL w/o collision insurance on the car.

Yeah, I'd keep some kind of underinsured/no insurance coverage on it in case of a parking lot H&R... depending on the value of the car of course. You could change up deductibles, lower the liability level and drop other coverages like PIP or roadside assistance if you want to save some money. Does his insurance company penalize him for not being continuously insured, or do they give deployed service members a break??? Is there not another family member close by with driveway space?

If there is no insurance I have to turn in the plate. Then he has no ride when he gets back. Value?? I bought the car at the auction I work at for 4400. He has had it 5 or 6 months and put 8k in.
No other family here in NC

Originally Posted by incognito_2u
Above all, Thank your Son for his Service to this Great Country of ours.... God Bless him and to all his future endeavors.......
grin.gif

Thanks to all!!

Originally Posted by clarkflower

If there is no insurance I have to turn in the plate. Then he has no ride when he gets back. Value?? I bought the car at the auction I work at for 4400. He has had it 5 or 6 months and put 8k in.

I suggested you KEEP some level of insurance, not cxl it.

You actually physically turn your plate over? Say you didn't turn over the plate, is there some kind of penalty. How does the DMV know you've dropped insurance? Again, I'm not advocating dropping coverage (especially if you've got $12k into it) all together...just that I've never heard of this.

Do you have any close friends that would allow you to park your son's ride? Man, i wish you were near me.. I've got a spot in my driveway that's empty 99% of the time. All I'd ask is that you keep it insured and give me a copy of the keys in the event I need to move it, or you'd have to agree to come by to move it if I needed it moved. You could come by and run it every now and then whenever you want... maybe you have a friend close by that would be willing to do similarly??

And best of luck to you and your son during this deployment, he'll be home soon (sending positive vibes).

Last edited:
No I kept base insurance, with no collision/theft its only 80 for 6 months.
But yes the dmv knows the minute you don't have any insurance and a plate not turned in. For even just 1 day.
My youngest was a day late and they deactivated his drivers license. I had to wait in line, show proof of insurance and pay 50 to get the DL reinstated. 1 day!!

I guess the idea here is to have it ready to roll anytime he needs it. Maybe he will get home for a week.

Thanks to all for the best wishes. Sucks having him gone so soon after my youngest sons death. He was my crutch.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

I wasn't suggesting to turn in the plates. I was simply saying to keep the coverage intact, as is if you plan on parking and driving it occasionally. People around here clip parked cars and split all the time. If they don't get caught the owner of the clipped car eats the repairs. You could also roll the dice and drop the collision. Only you know if you feel financially comfortable in doing it.

Keep in mind if you surrender the plates, you still have to park the car and if it is stolen or hit with no insurance you're out a lot of money. We did that once when my son went to boot camp and a month later was in Afghanistan. I had his Blazer with no insurance in the backyard blocked in by my van. No one was going to drive it and the odds of it being stolen w/o a battery to start it with were slim to none.

Change the oil now, fill the tank, add stabilizer and put the battery on a maintainer if you can. Take the car for a drive, enough to warm up engine, in the late fall before winter and leave it alone till next spring before taking it for a drive again. Take the battery in your condo for the winter and place on a maintaner. Won't hurt anything to let it sit for long periods.

Last edited:
When our son deployed, me and the wife just picked one day a week (usually on the weekend) that one of us would drive his F150 for whatever task at hand we hand. That easily put about 75 miles on it each time. Seem to work fine and he had no problems after a 10 month deployment using it again.

What about a drive once every 3 weeks?

You could drive it once a month, and if the battery holds a charge once every two months, or even more. Nothing bad is going to happen to the car. My van sat longer than that, and it is over 30 years old now and still runs like a champ. Just make sure if you run it you drive at least 30 minutes.

Certain time of the year my Rubicon will sit up to a month w/o being used. No problems to report.

I have an old Merc. which sits for 5-6 months a year. I charge the battery every 1 1/2 months, prep the fuel system and never has had a single problem by doing this.I change oil at 4k miles and if it is halfway through an oil change, I leave it in the engine but I wouldn't leave oil which has roughly 5k miles on it, in there for one year. I don't start it at all for the duration. I have been doing this to this car for 30 years. For a one year storage, every 4 months, long cruise would be good. If you cannot drive it for a good 15-20 miles at a time, you are better to let it sit.The battery is the item needing attention. Atleast you should disconnect the battery if you cannot keep it charged.

Last edited:
a bit different yet concept same...I store a scooter & motorcycle every winter; usually oil had a few hundred miles on it at the time storage occurs; slightly overinflate tires, fresh gas top off (hi octane with stabil 360 protection or k100 mg+), attach battery tender, cover, and hibernate; option for intermittent start up, idle, and rev throttle on warmer days (fresh gas in carburetor & recirculate oil); since the car has more fluids (trans, steering, coolant, refrigerant) an occasional drive is feasible

I guess the idea here is to have it ready to roll anytime he needs it. Maybe he will get home for a week.

Thanks to all for the best wishes. Sucks having him gone so soon after my youngest sons death. He was my crutch.

So sorry for your loss!
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back