Oil Change At JIFFY LUBE>!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mods move this if you must, but I thought it was highly important, and this is maybe the most active forum.

For those who don't change their own oil, or transmission fluid, or fuel filter, or...

Might NOT want to trust Jiffy Lube! Tell your mom, grandfather, little sister, and the geek down the street!

http://www.nbc4.tv/video/9152183/detail.html

I don't have any faith in any of the quick lube places. They have demonstrated on numerous occasions that they don't have a clue what they are doing, can't read, and I would rather be changing my own oil in the middle of winter in an unheated garage before I ever take my car to one again. Different places have overtightened the drain plug on the car my folks used to have (despite the clearly stamped instructions of "tighten 1/4 turn after gasket touches", and one time they tightened the drain plug so tight I rounded off the bolt head trying to remove it (ultimately it had to be chiseled off), they nearly put 20W-50 oil in my Saturn, despite the clearly stamped "5W-30" logo on the filler cap, and they always over-inflate my tires. 'Nuff said.

It's nothing new ..even before JiffyLube. All of your chain operations make the margins so important to everyone's paycheck. I worked briefly at a Kmart service center. They were pretty much fine on doing the installs and service ..but if you needed a warranty issue resolved it was spin city. The manager was riding everyone perpetually to get the vehicle out of the bay to make room for the next one. Throughput is king on those operations.

Most of it isn't outright theft like these guys ..most are just charging for stuff you didn't bargain for at the onset of the repair. Stuff that turns the $49.95 service into $124.48 with just 10 minutes more work.

I like Mr.Lube up here in Canada. They want you to stay around in the bay while they do the work.

Anyone rushing you away from your vehicle during the service is up to something.

Most fast lube places pay very little
to their help,so you get very little
grey matter going for you when they start working on you car.
Try not to use them.
Shop around,I'm sure you can find a place.
Good Luck...

Years ago they caught Burger King employees ******* in the coffe, putting boogers in burgers, red handed. Last I checked, Burger King just recently went public.

quote:

Originally posted by Coral:
Years ago they caught Burger King employees ******* in the coffe, putting boogers in burgers, red handed. Last I checked, Burger King just recently went public.

That happens in every eating establishment.

You being from San Antonio know about Bill Miller's. About 5 years ago, they built about 4 or 5 new restaurants that had the food prep area out of view of the customers. They found sales would be down by almost 1/3 because people were use to seeing their food being prepared and many of the old timers would not visit these new Bill Miller layouts. Before I left last year, they were starting to convert them back to the old format.

Hootbro

I buy my hay from his boys at his place off of Hwy. 46. Small world. My point is, folks will go blindly into many a transaction. It's called public trust. And scumbags will and do violate that public trust. Now not all Jiffy Lube places are ripp off's. We got one here in town. Fine people. Honest and hard working. I think the environment that newscast was shot probably would reveal rip offs in about every establishment in that location. Not a testimony of Jiffy Lube per se. But a testiomony to that geographical location and the population that resides there.

I used to work at Pep Boys. They had several different squirt cans of various fluids. If they were giving the mechanics bonuses that month for selling shocks then they would squirt the oil on the shocks to make it appear that they were leaking.

I didn't last long there. A few years ago PB got nailed and the BBB said that if they catch em doing it again they would pull their license in Ca.

My buddy got his dad to buy him a (I think) 70 AMX (this was in 1973, IIRC). He was driving it at 120 and the wheel shook pretty bad. So, he got his dad to authorize him using his credit car to get an alignment. We stopped in a Firestone type outfit and the manager said that they could do it while we waited. He walked outside and began looking a little bit (this guy was a long sleeve and tie type -fairly well groomed) ..he pushes the front end down and peeks under the wheel wells. He says, "You've been bottoming out. You should consider having the shocks changed while you're getting it aligned. Now, we can align it ..but the first bump you hit when you leave here ..and it's gone.". So, my buddy gets back on the phone and asks his dad if he can do shocks. He says yes and the car gets pulled in to have new front shocks and air shocks put on the back.

While we're sitting there the guy is on the phone with a customer that had dropped their car off. "Mr. Smith ...You've been bottoming out. Now, we can align it ..but the first bump that you hit when you leave here .....". My friend and I just looked at each other and shrugged.

You gotta love it when you're viewed as a ripe crop to be harvested for someone's bonus check
dunno.gif

This is why every high school should teach a mandatory automotive maintenance course for one full year.

When I worked at the Xpresslube, those guys would see a woman and be like "big money!" and the sad part was the woman would call her husband (usually) for advice and still go through with it. Another funny part was when my brother brought his car in to get an oil change, while I was there, and the crackhead who was "servicing" his car came up to him and was spouting off the high mileage oil service...did I mention my brother's car only had 20,000 miles on it at the time? Luckily my brother isn't stupid.

If you choose to take your car to one of these places, please drive it to 9 miles north of Cincinnati downtown and to my house. I'll not only buy your oil, I'll change it for you and serve you homebrewed beer. AND both will be done correctly.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Meutsch:
If you choose to take your car to one of these places, please drive it to 9 miles north of Cincinnati downtown and to my house. I'll not only buy your oil, I'll change it for you and serve you homebrewed beer. AND both will be done correctly.

You accepted appointments?
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Meutsch:

(visions of some recurring television program that everyone found funny in RoboCop)

"I'll buy that for a dollar!"
grin.gif

or ..maybe you could hold a sign:

Will entertain for the right to change oil.

*-Lube joints are discussed from time to time on the VW Passat and Audi forums. Our cars have the additional challenges of the belly pan (10 fasteners at dropoff, alot fewer at pickup) and the "sealed" ZF automatic transmission, which requires special synthetic fluid and temperature monitoring with a scanner when setting fluid level. The 1.8Ts need a larger-than-original oil filter which cannot be installed without pulling the throttle body's air inlet hose and/or the coolant recovery tank's three mounting screws, and they absolutely must have syntheitc oil to prevent "sludge" [sic] / coke formation. Because of the undersized oil sump, oil level is critical. There is NO WAY I would take my wife's Passat or my son's A4 to *-Lube, PepBoys, etc.

My neighbor brought a new Saturn back in 01-02. Well she decided to take it to a quick lube place for the oil change. Well, on the way home the car quit on her of course she blamed Saturn and had them come and tow the car. Saturn discovered that there was no oil in the engine and wrong filter had been installed and it was not covered under their warranty. The Quick lube did pay for engine replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back