Oil change and warranty

I got an oil change at this ghetto oil change place. They use some extremely obscure brand but it says "certified" oil. But they didn't put the milage on the record. So I went to my dealer and had it done but I was about 20 miles past the manufacturer recommended oil change interval.

Am I good? Is my warranty at risk?

Next time try a Valvoline Instant Oil Change or Juffy Lube over obscure locations unless you know what they're putting in. Hopefully you have them in your area.
I don't think you're at risk for going over by 20 miles.

Last edited:
I got an oil change at this ghetto oil change place. They use some extremely obscure brand but it says "certified" oil. But they didn't put the milage on the record. So I went to my dealer and had it done but I was about 20 miles past the manufacturer recommended oil change interval.

Only if you have a problem effected by engine oil, that requires a warranty repair by the automotive company, then it boils down to how forgiving the dealership and the automotive company is.

Was thinking that op is kidding us ... No?

If 7520 (20 miles over the recommended oci) is an issue, they can also argue that 7000 miles oci is also not good enough since the severe condition oci is 3500 and no one drives under "perfect" 7500 oci conditions ... and we are all violating the recommended oci rules.

Basically I wouldn't worry about it in case you are serious!

Also for legal purposes:
Your cousin (son, family member, etc.) change your oil at 3000 miles because you love your car and will never abuse it. ;)

I’ve used the Certified brand transmission fluid, purchased at Sam’s Club in my ‘74 Bonneville, and to top off the transmissions in my pre-1990 GM and Ford vehicles. It worked fine. Sam’s seems to have replaced the Certified brand with Prime Series, which I’ve also used in five pre-1990 GM/Ford vehicles. I’ve never bought either brand of motor oil.

A 2010 BITOG post says that a Pennzoil representative confirmed that it was made by Pennzoil and has an add pack similar to QS or PYB.

Prime Series appears to be Amalie.

That's the real issue here. Why would you do such a thing?

You seem to have a history of this and of subsequently worrying about your warranty. Didn't you learn the last time?

And this time where you worried about your filter and the warranty:

In the extremely unlikely event you had/have an engine problem related to the engine oil, maybe.

BUT your entire warranty is NOT at risk.

I'm not going to type longer, probably a waste of time, but people really blow the warranty risk way out of proportion. Plus the utter lack of detail here, we are just pulling stuff out of our collective arse.

If you’re going to pay somebody to change your oil then ask them what kind of oil and filter they are using before the service is performed. Or bring your own oil and filter and have them use that or change it yourself.

Back