Oil Catch Can On A 2021 Kia Niro

So my wife got a wild hair and we dumped our 2.5 year old, paid off, only 40k mile, perfectly running 19' Sorento in favor (her favor) of a 2021 Kia Niro. I removed the catch can from the Sorento and now want to install it on the Niro. Question is, has anyone had any ill-effects on running it on a hybrid? This is my first hybrid and currently know little about them, save, they don't make noise in the grocery store parking lot.

For some good videos of how hybrids work, check WEBERAUTO in YouTube.

Is the engine still DGI w/ no fuel rail injection, the catch can should work just the same.

nice lookin crossover! good luck with the more complicated Hybrid with more Gadgets. i like sedans or wagons for their simplicity sometimes + lower cost. girlfriends 18 kia optima 2.4 simple NA is great + basically a Sorento, but likely less mpgs + almost half the cost when new as her 8,xxx mile one year old was preowned + lacks the 100 thou warranty, a good thing for sure!

I can't see any ill effects of installing a catch can on your Niro. Post up a pic when it's done.

Obviously, my wife and I like Kia and I sat in a new Niro at the dealer recently. If my company had brand options, I would exchange my '19 Escape for a Niro in a heartbeat.

IMHO a catch can on a street car is a solution in search of a problem, and another thing to break.
This study shows even completely disconnecting PCV does not reduce intake valve deposits:

https://docplayer.net/38978662-Cons...tion-in-gasoline-direct-injection-engine.html
Your study does note on that slide that:
"Nevertheless, it is still possible that contaminated lube oil (containing metals or slurry)
could be the source of IVD since only fresh lube oil was used in this experiment"

And obviously our oils are contaminated; more research is needed to rule it out.

Why would you want to install an oil catch can on a relatively new car?

Why would you want to install an oil catch can on a relatively new car?
Same reason you'd install it on any car, to reduce aerosolized oil droplets from getting pulled through the intake and potentially carbonizing on intake valves. Relatively new cars are often GDI engines and suffer worse as they don't have port injectors cleaning the intake valves.

Do not use a catch can, extra hoses is extra friction and deleterious to crankcase pressure signal. Extra volume is added capacitance which creates a delay in crankcase pressure recovery during transitioning between idle/cruise and WOT situations.

Combustion byproducts are gasses which cannot be captured in any can, you can't catch a gas with a can.
Gases will dissolve into engine oil as partial pressure for dissolved gasses allows, one goal of PCV is to remove combustion byproduct gas before it can interact with engine oil and dissolve into the oil where it will circulate around the engine oil orifices creating deposits leading to additional wear and eventual failure.

PCV by definition is 'Applied energy which will produce negative pressure for a crankcase during all situations'.
It can be measured directly using a gauge or map sensor on the crankcase. On all performance engines I setup whether for racing or daily driving I measure the crankcase pressure and adjust to achieve acceptable wet sump operations, 0.5"Hg minimum with a desirable 1.5" to 2.5" Hg range.

Here is a 5.3L Turbo I show how to measure crankcase pressure

Back