Oil Catch Can Coffee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drained the oil catch can today when I did an oil change on my mustang. I took out Pennzoil ultra and put in Royal Purple. This 1/2 cup of coffee colored oily water gas mixture was from about 4,000 miles of driving. The picture of the oil filter is so you know what color the actual oil was coming from the car. For the 4,000 miles since I drained the catch can this car has seen 2 40 mile round trip highway drives a week, a 1000 mile round trip highway drive to Florida, and the rest being mostly 5-10 mile trips around town.
photo3_zps4d87c736.jpg

photo2_zps4cb85f71.jpg

photo1_zpsf726b834.jpg

photo_zpsb2ea9068.jpg

Why? It doesn't effect the engine one bit if it is burned in the intake tract.

Unless there is some huge underlying failure in the stock system let the car deal with it the way it was designed to.

Personally I don't want that in the internals of my engine. Plus it lowers the octane rating of the fuel.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223

Unless there is some huge underlying failure in the stock system let the car deal with it the way it was designed to.

What's the intake going to look like after years of that [censored] building up?

Condensation makes that look in the catch can.
The stuff that gets by does not burn cleanly and makes deposits on pistons, top ring landings, intake/exhaust valves and combustion chambers.
Thats one reason why octane requirements go up with mileage.
I'll take the time to empty my catch can.

Originally Posted By: hatt

What's the intake going to look like after years of that [censored] building up?

This is about 50,000Km with this intake and these heads on a 302, on which the engine itself has 338,000Km on it. Engine had the stock PCV/vent tube setup on it.

tfsportcloseup.jpg

It sure does affect it. I can see it with my HP Tuners and if you are running N20 like I do it make a difference.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

It sure does affect it. I can see it with my HP Tuners and if you are running N20 like I do it make a difference.

Anything that increases cylinder pressure, ergo, blow-by, will effect how much gets tossed out the breather/PCV. The stock system is designed for a stock engine. Anybody running spray or boost, yup, a catch-can setup is highly recommended.

The facts are simple, millions of cars out there and only a very small number of them run a catch can. Definitely not required, just a nice tweak that is really more of a feel good mod than a must.

My car actually has a 'sump' area in the giant aluminum intake that appears to be designed to catch the oil. Then, when you get on it hard enough and long enough it will simply burn it up. Any engine with a PCV has some oil in the intake, it is simply not harmful.

That said, I have also logged some KR values that fluctuate a bit as I stay in the city, all it takes is one good 120-150 blast to clean house and all is well again. But yet my car is one of the quickest in the country for a bone stocker.

OVERKILL- Nice intake shot, I see red top 30# squirters and what looks to be a Holley intake manifold? Could surely use a port match there where the head and intake meet tho!!

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
OVERKILL- Nice intake shot, I see red top 30# squirters and what looks to be a Holley intake manifold? Could surely use a port match there where the head and intake meet tho!!

Yup, 30's and the intake was a TFS-R. Fit was very close, as both the intake and the heads are supposed to be matched to a Felpro 1250.

Engine is carb'd now with an Xcelerator on it.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds

Good call. I think he is putting that engine in his boat. I already tried to buy it.

Sixxer.
I've got a mustangers thread going for us mustang guys. I started it basically as a place where we can share ideas and experiences,maybe swap parts etc. be sure to get in there and post your car and mods pease.

IMG_20120922_144700_zps4b28712f.jpg

Not looking good for direct injection motors. Modified car with only 48k km. No oil separator as of yet, but to be install, as well with a good walnut shell blasting and meth injection for prevention.

Could have been prevented with a proper oil catch can combined with low ash oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: r3v07ut10n

Could have been prevented with a proper oil catch can combined with low ash oil.

Sorry, but a whole legion of Audi DI owners would disagree with you.

Depending on design and execution some engines still have this problem, but many more do not.

GM's excellent little 3.6 DI engine comes to mind as one without issues, but there are more.

Should of mentioned my car Chevy Cobalt SS/TC with 2L Ecotec, also keep if mind that my car is modified and running about 10lbs more boost that stock GMS1.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
GM's excellent little 3.6 DI engine comes to mind as one without issues, but there are more.

GM's DI does indeed have the intake valve deposit problem like audi DIs.

GM DI deposits

Originally Posted By: r3v07ut10n
IMG_20120922_144700_zps4b28712f.jpg

Not looking good for direct injection motors. Modified car with only 48k km. No oil separator as of yet, but to be install, as well with a good walnut shell blasting and meth injection for prevention.

As catch can may help however I think an inverse oiler would be your best bet h if you fill it with an acetone/tc-w3 mix it should dissolve intake deposits,raise the octane of the incoming air charge and act as an upper cylinder lube. Win/win/win.
And they are cheap enough that if the experiment doesn't work you aren't out much money.
Just spitballing.

Some kind of deposit is causing that link to fail!
Volvo diesels for life!! Simple manual clean job for intake manifold and EGR every 100K km, which takes less than 2 hours with one cheap O ring and one gasket, cost about 20 Euros in parts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back