Oil Capacity for HEMI Oil Change w/o Filter?

Because I am lazy and cheap, I plan to perform an oil change on my truck w/o replacing the filter. It has been 6 mo/3k since the last oil change with M1 5W-20 and a Fram Ultra, so I plan to reuse the filter.

Normal capacity for an oil and filter change is 7.0 quarts (7.2 if I drain with the front-end elevated).

Does anyone know how much oil I can expect to add?

Yeah... somewhere between 6.5 to 6.7 quarts for a nominal "full" dipstick reading without changing the filter.

I agree with the others probably 6-6.5. I would just dump 6 and add whatever is needed by the dipstick. I run Mobil 1 as well in my Hemi Ram but I use 5w/30.

Suppose you drain it with the front-end elevated, about seven quarts. I used to run eight quarts of oil with either a Fram XG2/FS2 or Purolar BOSS 24651 filter in my HEMI (RAM 1500) when I had it. No need to stress about it.

Because I am lazy and cheap, I plan to perform an oil change on my truck w/o replacing the filter. It has been 6 mo/3k since the last oil change with M1 5W-20 and a Fram Ultra, so I plan to reuse the filter.

Normal capacity for an oil and filter change is 7.0 quarts (7.2 if I drain with the front-end elevated).

I can't answer you question but curious as to why you are changing oil w 3K miles on it, especially M1...? If you want to be lazy, be lazy and don't change it IMO.

just my $0.02

I can't answer you question but curious as to why you are changing oil w 3K miles on it, especially M1...? If you want to be lazy, be lazy and don't change it IMO.

just my $0.02
A full inspection of a vehicle every 6 months is good practice. The vehicle also sees mostly short trips.

Back