Oil Capacity and Usage Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had this question for some time and would like some experts to help me with an answer if possible.

This has happened with more than one vehicle I have owned. Currently have a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe.

Ok, here goes. I change the oil. I put in the amount recommended in the manual. It checks good on the stick. I then keep my oil checked and add oil when necessary to keep it full. (Both of my last two "newer" vehicles have consumed some oil between changes. This is a whole other topic I don't understand.)

Then, at my next oil change, I drain the oil, and it won't even fill a 5 quart container nearly full. (Guessing maybe 4.5 quarts or so in there.) The capacity of the car is 6 quarts!

I know the dirty filter holds a little oil but I don't believe it holds over a quart in it.

Can someone tell me why this mysterious "phenomenon" occurs?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Oil tends to sit in the engine and/or the oil filter and not the oil pan.

What you drain out in terms of amount, is what you put back into the car. Start the car, let the oil settle, measure it. If you are still low, you were burning oil so add more in.

EDIT: You do know that a 5 quart bottle is 5 quarts at the measurement line, and not filled to the rim, right?

Last edited:
Everything known as engineering invention which include Automobile engine are dealing with tolerances instead of absolute.

The tolerances are expressed in range or mathematically shown with a symbol of "plus on top of minus".

So, there are tolerances on the dip stick, the oil pan, the oil bottle and the drain pan plus the oil that stays inside the oil system like the oil cooler, etc.

Then, the oil also burn during the engine combustion process.
The amount of oil burning depends on the quality of the parts inside the engine which in most cases, user cannot see.
The better the tolerances within each part, the less oil burning caused by the engine.

The design documents will include all of these tolerances.

I hope this help.

When oil container is filled it is supported in the correct shape and filled by volume, sealed. Then put in tight fitting case of 4 or 6 bottle.

The on the shelf it stretches some.

Mark the level before you open. When you break the foil seal it will expand and fall quite a bit

Then you poor the warm oil in and it stretches some more. I have fit almost 7 quarts in a 5 quart container filled to the top

Rod

Last edited:
Depending upon your OCI duration, there's a whole thing called volatility that is affecting your volume.
I am surprised you're only getting 4.5 qrts out of a 6 qrt system.
If you don't top off often, you should have a lot more than 75% of the volume left.
If you do top off often, that explains your loss.

Last edited:
We often have our service vans give us less than the full amount of oil you might expect. They are GM 6.0 gas engines. Same with our pickups which are GM 5.3's.

But my experience tells me that some oil always remains in the engine no matter how careful you are, and this is a good thing because you get a dry start every time you change oil. Plus that pesky oil filter always holds some, too.

Also, as stated above, that oil can be quite hot. Plastic bottles may get stretched!

I have the same situation with my Dakota. Capacity is 4 quarts, I add 4 quarts each change, oil level never really drops per the dipstick, but when I do the next drain, I get 3 - 3.25 quarts. I know the filter holds some oil but I don't see it accounting for a full quart.

But at 120K miles and counting, I don't think any harm is coming to the engine.

The only way to measure volume correctly is to use a glass graduated jar or so and measure oils at same temp and pour oil from filter into measured oil. Even then you won't get all oil from the engine.
Letting engine sit for a while may get a bit more oil out. e.g. Porsche won't even measure oil level after oil change for 30 mins.

Originally Posted by Randy1234
I have had this question for some time and would like some experts to help me with an answer if possible.

This has happened with more than one vehicle I have owned. Currently have a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe.

Ok, here goes. I change the oil. I put in the amount recommended in the manual. It checks good on the stick. I then keep my oil checked and add oil when necessary to keep it full. (Both of my last two "newer" vehicles have consumed some oil between changes. This is a whole other topic I don't understand.)

Then, at my next oil change, I drain the oil, and it won't even fill a 5 quart container nearly full. (Guessing maybe 4.5 quarts or so in there.) The capacity of the car is 6 quarts!

I know the dirty filter holds a little oil but I don't believe it holds over a quart in it.

Can someone tell me why this mysterious "phenomenon" occurs?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Prior to removing / unscrewing the oil pan drain bolt, remove the dipstick and remove the oil fill cap.

What size oil filter ??

Even my 57356 oil filter still holds 12 ozs in the oil filter itself plus in the oiling system too... A larger oil filter will obviously hold more oil than mine... Then the next part is how long is the pan draining for?? If I put the drain plug back in as soon as it is just dripping... I get 4 qts in plus anywhere from 6-8 ozs... If I let it drain a lot longer where the drip rate is much slower... I get 4 qts and 12-16 ozs in the car.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
When oil container is filled it is supported in the correct shape and filled by volume, sealed. Then put in tight fitting case of 4 or 6 bottle.

The on the shelf it stretches some.

Mark the level before you open. When you break the foil seal it will expand and fall quite a bit

Then you poor the warm oil in and it stretches some more. I have fit almost 7 quarts in a 5 quart container filled to the top

Rod

Holy cow... That makes a lot of sense ^^^^

Hadn't thought of that... But sure makes sense. Hmm learn something new everyday...

Originally Posted by Randy1234
(Both of my last two "newer" vehicles have consumed some oil between changes. This is a whole other topic I don't understand.)

Regarding your oil usage between oil changes on the Hyundai, I have some insight that may help you understand why it's happening. I maintain a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0T for my son (that I used to own). During my ownership of that vehicle, Hyundai did an engine service bulletin that included changing the dipstick to increase the amount of oil to show as "normal" on the dipstick--it required an additional .25 qts. to be added to get to the full mark on the new dipstick (making the total sump capacity 5.5 quarts (up from the 5.25 qts the manual spec'd). It's been my experience that (with the new dipstick), if you change the oil with 5.5 qts. of oil, within a few hundred miles the engine will consume about .25 qts. of oil, leaving the oil level just about mid-way between the two marks on the dipstick. The oil level will stay at that point for the remainder of the oil change interval in my experience. If you try to add oil to bring it to the full mark again, it will keep burning it off. Moral of the story: this engine doesn't want 5.5 qts. of oil in the sump, despite what Hyundai would have you believe--stick to the amount spec'd in the manual and run it at that level on the dipstick. --Rob

Thank you all so much for the helpful replies. I will check back for more answers, so if anyone has further knowledge on this topic, your comments will be read and most appreciated.

I'm guessing you have changed the oil enough times on the 2014 and know where the dipstick level should read when full.

I never measure what comes out of the oil pan. Never use a flimsy, thin oil jug to refill with old oil.
Drain the oil until only a once-in-a-while small drip occurs. Put the oil in a cleaned-out, empty, large detergent soap container ....ie..... Tide, Arm & Hammer......etc. Those-type containers should be noticeably thicker than typical five quart oil jugs.

Fill engine with new oil using the owners manual amount with filter change, using the method I described above pulling the dipstick - cleaning (old oil) off the end of the dipstick and unscrewing/removing the oil fill cap.

Make sure both of these are removed, before unscrewing the oil pan bolt and draining the oil. Hyundai and Kia service reps recommend this method, plus it may be written in my 2019 owners manual.
Keep in-mind where the dipstick reading is with the new oil. My 'full mark' on dipstick is the last little round hole on the dipstick..... perhaps a 1/16th of an inch beyond the hole....... that's it.
Done deal.

The one free dealer oil change saw the new dipstick reading over 1-1/4 inches beyond the last hole. Ouchie!!!!! I complained about that and complained the oil was still semi-dirty. Told the service manager that was the dealer's first and last-ever oil change on my Korean models.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back