Oil Canister and Filling Dates

Hello everyone,

When I visited the petrol station to purchase motor oil, I noticed that the oil canisters were produced in November 2018 and the filling dates were September 2019. I got concerned as the duration between the canister production and the filling dates were 10-11 months.

As far as I know the duration between the bottle production date and the filling date should be maximum 3 months or there is a risk of buying (re-filled) fake oil.

Is this always true ? What do you think?

Cheers

Isn't there anyone who has any idea whether the situation is normal or not?

I don't think anyone has any idea what you are talking about here. Please be more descriptive. Why are there two dates? What type of canister/oil? I go to Walmart or buy oil on Amazon and while there is a date for when it was produced I do not believe there are two dates...at least I've never noticed two dates.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has any idea what you are talking about here. Please be more descriptive. Why are there two dates? What type of canister/oil? I go to Walmart or buy oil on Amazon and while there is a date for when it was produced I do not believe there are two dates...at least I've never noticed two dates.

The date when the canister was produced is written under the canister.

The date when the oil was filled inside canister is usually printed on either front or back side of the canister.

Size of the canister should not matter at all.

Forexample if the bottle is produced at January 2019, then I expect the oil to be filled to the canister at March 2019 latest.

So there will be only 3 months between the canister manufacture date and the oil fill date.

The longer this duration get, the higher risk of getting a re-filled canister which would probably be fake. I got this hint from Russian oil forum.

Hope it was clear enough.

What do you think?

The date when the canister was produced is written under the canister.

The date when the oil was filled inside canister is usually printed on either front or back side of the canister.

Size of the canister should not matter at all.

Forexample if the bottle is produced at January 2019, then I expect the oil to be filled to the canister at March 2019 latest.

So there will be only 3 months between the canister manufacture date and the oil fill date.

The longer this duration get, the higher risk of getting a re-filled canister which would probably be fake. I got this hint from Russian oil forum.

Hope it was clear enough.

What do you think?

Not a clue. As I said, I order from Amazon or buy from Walmart and I've never suspected anything but genuine new oil. I don't really put much thought into other than that...sorry.

I can't say since that is uncommon in the US. I don't think we have ever had anyone's VOA or UOA come back appearing to be counterfeit product.

If your uncomfortable with the product then buy somewhere else or send off a sample for testing.

I don't think there is an industry standard regarding the production of oil containers and the subsequent filling of those containers.
Some are filled sooner, some are filled later. As long as the containers are kept clean and free of damage before filling, then all is good.
I hope you get some answers on all of the Russian-based questions, concerns and other issues you are bringing to these boards.

I don't think there is an industry standard regarding the production of oil containers and the subsequent filling of those containers.
Some are filled sooner, some are filled later. As long as the containers are kept clean and free of damage before filling, then all is good.
I hope you get some answers on all of the Russian-based questions, concerns and other issues you are bringing to these boards.

Thanks for the help. I bought from another petrol station and everything was clear as I expected so I used it on my car. There was noticable improvement on pick ups at low revs comparing to the old oil (mobil 5w30 esp). As both oils supposed to be 5w30, the old one makes me feel suspected whether it was genuine or not.

I never thought about looking at the bottle date vs the oil date code. Interesting.

The biggest problem in my area is people putting their used oil back into the new bottle and returning it to Walmart for a refund. In that case, the dates will be fine but the oil is used and black.

Back