Oil bath Air cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure if this is the right place or not, so mod's feel free to relocate if needed.

just wondering what type of oil one should use for an oil bath type air cleaner. More that what type (PCMO, HDEO, ect.) i'm wondering what kind of viscosity might be best.

I'm pretty sure i'm using 10w-30 PCMO in mine (been a while since i checked it), but maybe a lower viscosity would have some benefits? like a 5w20? maybe even a hydraulic oil, or a straight 10w?

i'm not sure that this one will run much in the winter any more so maybe it doesn't even matter?

what do you think?

Mike

14081_40_1.jpg

+1 to use what you've got, but I'd use cheap ATF.

Has to let the air through the oil bath first up, lower viscosity, and pour point help that. Has to drain back through the mesh, density of oils varies less than with viscosity.

If I remember correctly, they always said to use the same oil in the air filter as you use in the engine. At leas viscosity wise, as the old cars that had these from the factory, were built before synthetic or even most multi viscosity oils.

I always used the old engine oil I'd just drained from my air cooled 1968 Beetle way back then. All it is supposed to do in the air filter is trap dirt particles, nothing more.

It has been a long time since I had an oil bath air cleaner (1967 International Travelall) so my memory is a little hazy, but my recollection is that I ran straight 30 wt. non-detergent oil in the air cleaner. I presume that is what was specified, but not sure.

The viscosity does make a difference, in theory at least. As the air passes through the oil sump, it draws oil up to coat the metal mesh filter element. If the oil is too heavy, it will not be drawn up far enough and leave the element uncoated, reducing the effectiveness of the filter. If the oil is too light, it may be drawn up enough to be drawn into the carburetor.

In practical terms, I'm not sure that it makes a lot of difference.

Most have just recommended same oil as engine. However, those filters should only be used on antiques where you want the stock appearance, as they will let in MUCH more dirt than a paper filter.

Back in the day, I used a straight, cheap 30w. These days, I save the drained oil from my oil changes and use it in my oil bath air cleaners - so it might be a 5W20 or a 15W40 or even a straight 40W - it's all good.

The thing to remember is the oil is there to catch the dirt in both the bath, and the wire mesh above the bath. Therefore, when you clean the bath pan, be sure and check the wire mesh as well and clean accordingly.

This is BITOG, saying "any oil" is boring. It needs to meet some special spec, be available either at Walmart (on sale) or from only select dealers. Anything else will cause failure and slippage.

We also need to discus the proper tools and torquing procedure for that filter assembly.

thanks for all the replies.

one less thing to worry about.

i don't see myself using drain oil, but when i get around to changing it i'll just use whatever -- just like i did last time
smile.gif

We had a lot of older tractors on the farm I grew up on. We always used the same oil that we used in the engine. Usually sae 30 summer
or 10w40 or 15w40 winter.

I soaked my oil bath filters with 2-cycle oil. I figured that if I used 2-cycle oil, the oil that did get sucked into the engine would burn cleanly.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
the few i have seen had a sticker recomending sae30

Because thats what was around then. On my 61 International truck with the slant 4 I used 10w30. Really any PCMO works fine in it.

Just serviced one yesterday. Used the same 15W-40 that was used in the engine; an engine with no oil filter.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Just serviced one yesterday. Used the same 15W-40 that was used in the engine; an engine with no oil filter.

well you got me wondering. So what engine has NO oil filter?????

Originally Posted By: ottomatic
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

well you got me wondering. So what engine has NO oil filter?????

Many small OPE do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back