Oil bath Air cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ottomatic
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Just serviced one yesterday. Used the same 15W-40 that was used in the engine; an engine with no oil filter.

well you got me wondering. So what engine has NO oil filter?????

Air cooled VW.

old business, but I found this on an old John Deere's oil bath air cleaner.
seems to make sense .... reading between the lines 10w30 might be perfect
smile.gif

just found it interesting.

Just serviced one yesterday. Used the same 15W-40 that was used in the engine; an engine with no oil filter.

Early beetles, amongst others.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
This is BITOG, saying "any oil" is boring. It needs to meet some special spec, be available either at Walmart (on sale) or from only select dealers. Anything else will cause failure and slippage.

We also need to discus the proper tools and torquing procedure for that filter assembly.

Best post of the day so far.
smile.gif

I DEFINITELY advocate using a detergent oil. I have some pictures I can post of just how sludgy the "metal mesh" above the oil line can get. That hurts airflow, and traps the dirt "up high" when it's actually supposed to get "washed down" into the dust cup.

Even used detergent oil is better than new non-detergent oil in an oil bath air cleaner.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Our big Hyster lift has no oil filter, just a centrifuge.
It must be huge ! How old is it.

My 1966 Triumph Bonneville has no oil filter.

Use non detergent, so the dust can fall out. ATF has that characteristic. Type F or Dex III. If you get sludge above oil line the wash out element.

Rod

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Our big Hyster lift has no oil filter, just a centrifuge.
It must be huge ! How old is it.

1996. Oldie, but goldie.

Forklifts last a real long time if as with all equipment if maintained properly.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
14081_40_1.jpg

+1 to use what you've got, but I'd use cheap ATF.

Has to let the air through the oil bath first up, lower viscosity, and pour point help that. Has to drain back through the mesh, density of oils varies less than with viscosity.

I've been trying to figure out if air actually passes through the oil or just flows over top of it and any dirt just sticks to it. So I guess the photo answers my question.

I've been trying to find an alternative to those overpriced paper elements used on lawnmowers today. Like an oil bath. I know that sounds like stepping backwards but think it might be a cheaper alternative to those expensive paper elements.

Used to lawnmowers had a foam filter you washed out then soaked in oil. They were effective but I guess most people didn't like getting their hands dirty so they started using paper filters which cost more than an air filter for a car. As if changing the oil in your lawnmower is not dirty enough.

I have allot of dead spots in my yard and can kick up quite a dust bowel especially when mulching leaves. This is what the filter looked like on an old Snapper lawnmower I used to own. I'm surprised the engine still ran.

dirtyfilter.jpg

This last summer we had a drought and would continuously blind over filters but never seemed to cause any problems with the engine. This was after 3 hours of mowing.

IMG_20160910_155535874_zpsljyufaxu.jpg

IMG_20160910_155539399_zps3jdlh07e.jpg

So I found this foam filter that replaces the original filter perfectly. It cost about the same as the replacement paper element. I had used a mixture of ATF and kerosene but someone on here suggested an oil made especially for foam filters so I ordered some. I've not used it yet but will come spring.

IMG_20160916_161405527_zpsth2vqca7.jpg

IMG_20160916_161410238_zpsogrlqwfk.jpg

Originally Posted By: TurboFiat124

I've been trying to figure out if air actually passes through the oil or just flows over top of it and any dirt just sticks to it. So I guess the photo answers my question.

I've been trying to find an alternative to those overpriced paper elements used on lawnmowers today. Like an oil bath. I know that sounds like stepping backwards but think it might be a cheaper alternative to those expensive paper elements. I have allot of dead spots in my yard and can kick up quite a dust bowel especially when mulching leaves.

When the engine isn't running, the center tube rests in the very top of the oil level. A backfire will splash oil up the center inlet tube. Once the engine starts, the air flows over the surface of the oil (not bubble through) but in reality, the oil is pretty turbulent. The turbulent oil splashes up into the wire mesh above, and rinses the dirt off the mesh so it stays clean, and the oil settles to the cup.

On both my tractor & my wood chipper, I've adapted a very cheap Chinese gauze air filter (like a K&N) to fit over the top of the inlet tube to the oil bath. This catches all the big chunks of crud, and only the very finest dust gets through the gauze and then goes through the oil bath air cleaner.

A tacified oil like chainsaw bar oil works on foam filters. Avoid getting the oil on the paper element by squeezing out the excess after rapping the foam in paper towel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back