OIL bASICS II

Status
Not open for further replies.
lETS FORGET ABOUT THE EXTENDED OIL DRAINS! lOOKING AT THE COMPARISON OF OIL OVER A 3000-4000 MILE CHANGE,IN REGARDS TO LUBRICATION, COOLING, METAL WEAR AND ANY OTHER CRITERIA THAT OIL SHOULD BE JUDGED ON IN THE AREA OF PROTECTION TO THE ENGINE, HOW MUCH DIFFERENCE IS THERE BETWEEN DIFFERENT BRANDS? Any brands that stand out or all the same in this mileage figure?

[ December 26, 2002, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: yankees1 ]

Yikes, don't yell!
smile.gif

Honestly, for a 3000 mile period you will probably see that any oil can handle that, at least in terms of TBN retention, oxidation, etc. What you will see is a difference in engine wear with a better oil. It doesn't mean it has to be synthetic though. Synthetics shine in the longevity department, but when it comes to engine wear, you can get the same results from a conventional oil that has a good additive package in it.

I know you have a Corvette though, so you will want to use a synthetic oil to maintain your warranty though. Out of all the top synthetics that have the Corvette 4718M requirement, they will all show very similar engine wear results.

One of my goals is to try and convince more and more people that are diehard 3k oil change people, to at least consider going to a 5k oil change schedule. It still gives them more than enough margin of safety without needlessly wasting so much good oil.

Or at least if they are going to go with 3k changes, take that perfectly good oil and put it into one of their other vehicles.

i used to be a 7k changer...my car reconmended 7k changes. but my dad owned the car before and he went with 8k changes and the car still runs great today (91 honda accord 150k). yet he started using additive "restore" and i read that it really adds alot of solids in the engine. i promote going at least to 5k changes. but in my case, im trying to get most of that out with short changes, i dont think i can. my oil turns really dark at 4k now...hehe cant u imagine what it would be at 8k? if i didnt drive this car hard like i do now i would go with 5k changes..but i do and i do over rev with my automatic. my engine wear is more than some select people. on my moms van though im going with 5k changes...her driving habits are good freeway miles. unlike if it was close to home then i would have to do shorter changes.

i use a normal oil, mobil drive clean or penzoil. im not a super skeptic on oil changes but i feel i, myself, know whats right for my cars...not to be judgemental or anything...but i go with my instints..

some oils are said to last longer than others..with 10k drains that is. thats cool..but not every oil lives up to what it is said...if it says 10k, ill do 7k and look at the oil condition...honestly, my mobil drive clean is doing a great job its not hecka oxidizing yet..but it is getting dark...=) just my 3 cents

Toyota owners with 3.0-liter IMZ V-6 engines or 5SFE 2.2-liter 4-cylinder engines might be advised to keep the 3000 mile oil change habit due to sludge problems.
Camry, built August 1996 to July 2001
Camry Solara, built June 1998 to May 2001
Sienna, built July 1997 to May 2001
Avalon, built July 1996 to May 2001
Celica, 4-cylinder, built August 1996 to April 1999
Highlander, built November 2000 to July 2001
Lexus ES 300, built August 1998 to July 2001
Lexus RX 300, built January 1998 to July 2001
Sources: Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A.
Automotive News April 8, 2002

Yes that is true, I should have mentioned that those Toyota engines need 3k oil changes to remain 100% sludge free.

Any time this subject comes up we have to remember the type of driving done. I still insist on changing my 13 vehicles at 6,000 km intervals (or 6 mo), but have a customer who uses my group I 15w40 and changes every 20,000 km -- he drives 90 km each morning to work and 90 back at night, 6 days a week, drives it all at 80 kph, and only has to stop for 3 toll booths and slow down for two towns. He insists on not bothering me with a sample, but in two years has put 120,000 km on this mazda 626 and it's never below the 1/2 way mark on the dipstick oil between changes.

quote:

Originally posted by thrace:
Toyota owners with 3.0-liter IMZ V-6 engines or 5SFE 2.2-liter 4-cylinder engines might be advised to keep the 3000 mile oil change habit due to sludge problems.
Camry, built August 1996 to July 2001
Sources: Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A.
Automotive News April 8, 2002

Check out my Valvoline Synpower 10w30 test in UOA. I went 6K and Terry Dyson says I should extend to 7K next time. I have a 2001 V6 Camry.

BTW, I intend on using Schaeffer Neutra on a regular basis on the last 500 miles to keep sludge at bay. $21/gallon delivered from Tim Mills
smile.gif

[ December 29, 2002, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: jjbula ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back