Oil at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not totally disagree with your thought here... Think about it another way.. Because these corporations pay so poorly then how many people who work there wind up on welfare?? This is not an uncommon result for many people who work there.
I do agree that we do have at times a corporate welfare system in our tax code. But also Apple sends a lot of jobs overseas and offshores billions and billions of profits has well. I guess they really do not believe in what they say they believe in either
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Mrs. Jimmy and I both very much prefer Target over Walmart. I do buy M1 AFE 0W20 for her Nissan at Walmart because I refuse to pay $10.00 a quart at parts stores. Now that we have an O'Reilley here in our town I buy our Wix filters there. I stock up on Peak conventional for my Dakota at Dollar General when they run their BOGO deal. Walmart does have good oil prices but I hate shopping there so I park in the side lot by the garden center, enter and exit the store through the garden center and pay at the garden center register. There is usually no line there and the side parking lot is usually a lot less crowded with less chance of a door ding or shopping cart incident. We find Target to be on par with Walmart prices but the entire shopping experience is a lot better at Target. Every now and then I will need something else at Walmart like the Autolite 3923 spark plugs I use in my truck but 9 times out of 10 oil is about the only thing I buy at Walmart.

There used to be at least one shade tree on the southern side of my closest WM, so if I had to go there on a hot afternoon, I'd park there and zip in through the Tire & Lube Center. Now the tree is gone and the side lot is filled with trucks and containers.

Originally Posted By: Lawn_Care
Self-Checkout is a ploy by Wal-Mart to downsize the work staff. Other retailers have it for convenience, but wally world has it for that reason only.I absolutely refuse to support this practice, and will also leave a full cart and walk out - as a matter of principle.

Me too. I used to work midnight shift. I shopped on my off days late at night, usually about 1am-2am every Tuesday night I would do my weekly shopping at Wal-Mart and spend about $200-$250. A full cart load. Only problem I had was maneuvering around the over night stock clerks. But no one bothered me, and I got all my shopping done.

My Wal-Mart did away with their one overnight cashier. All they had left was 6 self checkout lanes manned by a cashier to watch them. I asked her where the cashier was and was advised that they only have self checkout at night now. I left my full to the top cart with her ($250 worth) and advised her that I don't used self checkout. Emailed Wal-Mart corporate and they haven't done anything to rectify the problem. I no longer give my $10,000 annual grocery budget to Wal-Mart. I spend my money elsewhere where I don't have to check myself out.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Self-Checkout is a ploy by Wal-Mart to downsize the work staff. Other retailers have it for convenience, but wally world has it for that reason only.I absolutely refuse to support this practice, and will also leave a full cart and walk out - as a matter of principle.

Me too. I used to work midnight shift. I shopped on my off days late at night, usually about 1am-2am every Tuesday night I would do my weekly shopping at Wal-Mart and spend about $200-$250. A full cart load. Only problem I had was maneuvering around the over night stock clerks. But no one bothered me, and I got all my shopping done.

My Wal-Mart did away with their one overnight cashier. All they had left was 6 self checkout lanes manned by a cashier to watch them. I asked her where the cashier was and was advised that they only have self checkout at night now. I left my full to the top cart with her ($250 worth) and advised her that I don't used self checkout. Emailed Wal-Mart corporate and they haven't done anything to rectify the problem. I no longer give my $10,000 annual grocery budget to Wal-Mart. I spend my money elsewhere where I don't have to check myself out.

I don't understand the hatred for self-checkout. I love it. I use it every opportunity I can.

What is wrong with it? You're getting the cheapest product around by shopping at Wal*Mart(and in your example's case probably the only one conveniently open at those hours) and expect them to not utilize every opportunity to cut costs to keep prices low? You get to check out at your own pace, your own order, your own organization or products, and you don't have to deal with another idiot.

If you want prices to go up(which nobody does) then fight the corporate big wigs to get more people for checkouts. If They need more people in the stores it is eveywhere BUT the checkout lanes.

I buy Mobil1 which has a foil seal. I buy my Motorcraft filters online (sometimes from Walmart, sometimes from Amazon).

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

I completely agree with you on the self checkout nonsense. The ONLY way I would use it is if I get a discount on my groceries. That'd be like going to a restaurant and cooking your own food,serving yourself,and busing your own table afterwards.

Originally Posted By: ccap41
I don't understand the hatred for self-checkout. I love it. I use it every opportunity I can.

What is wrong with it? You're getting the cheapest product around by shopping at Wal*Mart(and in your example's case probably the only one conveniently open at those hours) and expect them to not utilize every opportunity to cut costs to keep prices low? You get to check out at your own pace, your own order, your own organization or products, and you don't have to deal with another idiot.

If you want prices to go up(which nobody does) then fight the corporate big wigs to get more people for checkouts. If They need more people in the stores it is eveywhere BUT the checkout lanes.

I was a cashier in high school. Fastest cashier in the store. I know technology well and know how to use it. The self checkout lanes at Wal-Mart are beyond flawed. They are useless. Last time I bought a book at Wal-Mart it had two bar codes on the back. The scanner picked up the wrong barcode, which completely locked up the machine, turned on the flashing "help me" light and wound do nothing further. Waited at least 3 minutes for the overworked single cashier to come clear the machine. Not even 45 seconds later, another item kicked on the "help me" light and completely locked up the machine. Waited another 3-5 minutes for the cashier to make her rounds. A transaction that would have taken 90 seconds at a traditional cashier took over 10 minutes. "please bag item" Please bag item" I DID bag the item.

If the software was better, I wouldn't mind it. But as is, it is useless, and annoying.

Self-checkout PLUS box-swapped filters.... SCORE! Now only if I can figure out how to pour M1 EP 0w40 into Supertech bottles...

^OK, I actually hate that type of theft but the amount of swapped merchandise is high I bet... might be easier/cheaper to use clerks

Our local Walmart USED to have self-checkout... not any more. Wonder if shrinkage (THEFT) was a factor.

Oh, and they have recently installed a camera pointing directly at the oil filter section...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: geeman789
Oh, and they have recently installed a camera pointing directly at the oil filter section...

Haha AWESOME!!

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Self-checkout PLUS box-swapped filters.... SCORE! Now only if I can figure out how to pour M1 EP 0w40 into Supertech bottles...

^OK, I actually hate that type of theft but the amount of swapped merchandise is high I bet... might be easier/cheaper to use clerks

Drag a plastic bin from container section to the oil section, empty Supertech bottles to the bin, pour M1 EP into Supertech bottles...

Oh, don't forget to ask for discount for open box bottle.

A true BITOGer should be able to tell if there is new or oil in an oil jug by picking it up and be able to tell the viscosity as well.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
A true BITOGer should be able to tell if there is new or oil in an oil jug by picking it up and be able to tell the viscosity as well.

Do not forget to lick oil to check TBN!

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
It's unfortunately pretty common at every Walmart I've checked. Same thing with oil filters, people putting Fram Ultras in extra guard boxes then you go to buy the Ultra and it's an extra guard. Saw the same thing at kmart all Purolator synthetics were switched with classics.

This was more like an insider job. How are you supposed to switch that many filters without being detected? This is theft, did they check the security cameras?

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
It certainly speaks volumes about the typical WalMart shopper.

I don't think it's unique to WalMart shoppers.

My Brother-in-Law was a store manager for Nordstrom and he said they factor in a 20% return rate in their business model for honest and dishonest returns.

I'm sure plenty of men do dishonest things too, but I can't tell you how many women I've worked with that will go "buy" a high-line dress, evening gown, etc., and wear it for a special evening out (holiday parties, Senior prom, etc., etc.), leave the sales tags on (although carefully hidden with a sash, etc.), and then return the dress the next day.

I guess you need to smell your clothes before you buy them?

smile.gif

Ed

Yeah but Nordstrom has a highly successful "rack" business to monetize these returns and make money off them. Im sure they arent hurting.

Of course, neither is WalMart. Its the consumer who getws hurt in the end by others' behaviors.

Yes, Wally World is a necessary evil. Sometimes shopping there puts me in a surreal mode, your there, but your floating through listening to all the [censored] folks say and the hurrying of them to go nowhere........everything is so important in that mode, but none of it is, then you know its time to leave and your angry at yourself for going there.....again... my 2 cents...

I actually enjoy Wal-Mart.
I like strollong the aisles and looking for sales.
I know there is medication for this but then what would I look forward to?

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I actually enjoy Wal-Mart.
I like strollong the aisles and looking for sales.
I know there is medication for this but then what would I look forward to?

My wife read your comment and laughed, saying 'let him work there for a while, and then see what he thinks about wal-mart". lol

Walmart is great! Check out all the attractive 300 lb folks who shop there wearing shorts....

Seriously though, a few years back I heard of an employee who would swap the most expensive synthetic 5 quart container of oil with supertech 10w-30, clean oil, not used oil. I guess nobody ever knew the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back