Oil at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bbhero
I am not expecting the auto parts stores to be cheaper than Walmart. But I want them to at least be somewhat close. Say like $19.99 or maybe a dollar more for PYB everyday price. I would spend the extra three dollars than go to Walmart. Not 11 or up 14 dollars more.

What I do is spread the wealth around by getting the oil at Walmart and then buying the world's best filter at NAPA.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Lawn_Care
Self-Checkout is a ploy by Wal-Mart to downsize the work staff. Other retailers have it for convenience, but wally world has it for that reason only. I absolutely refuse to support this practice, and will also leave a full cart and walk out - as a matter of principle.

You do know that before the refrigerator became commonplace, there were things called iceboxes and ice delivery men. They, too, claimed that the refrigerator was a ploy to make their job redundant.

I've worked as a retail cashier. It's an entry level job, for crying out loud. I worked in a convenience store, which had far more traffic per till than a Walmart, really needing to push a huge amount of small purchases through in a very short period of time. I prefer to shop at places with self checkout, since I am invariably faster at it than the people being paid to do so.

I have a lot of reasons to dislike Walmart. Here, the lack of a self checkout is a reason to avoid them. The prime reason is the way overpriced oil and filters.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: merdog
It was black as sludge and the twist cap was not broken..

That makes it even harder to tell if it's been tampered with. I have had caps twist off individual quarts before without breaking the twist off safety seal.

Heck,I even always take it a step further when I buy oil. I'll hold the bottle/jug up to the light and look at the oil through the measuring window on the side to see if the oil looks fresh and new before I buy it.

If you pry carefully around the tamper evident ring while slowly twisting off the cap you CAN remove the cap without breaking off the ring. If as much creativity were applied to productive tasks as to stealing imagine what the world would be like.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Check the cap on the bottle before buying.

That's why I buy only M1 now. You can easily see if the bottle has been tampered with.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
You do know that before the refrigerator became commonplace, there were things called iceboxes and ice delivery men. They, too, claimed that the refrigerator was a ploy to make their job redundant.

Understood, Garak. Problem is - when the idea was passed on to Wal-mart's associates (my wife is a 15-year employee there), it was mentioned in their company meeting that the self-checkout lanes would reduce the number of needed cashiers. They were told this - point blank from the District Manager from Bentonville, Arkansas (corp. office) who was visiting that morning.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc....
I realise this is not always the case, and you're correct - many times the self-checkout lane is much quicker and more convenient. But when being told from the top down that the direct reason was to cut back on staffing (and schedule fewer hours for the cashiers they already have), that makes a statement. I, for one, will not support a move like that, even if it means shopping somewhere else.

Last edited:
Look at it this way, they were honest about it. They're not the only place that's done that with the desire to cut staff. One of the ways I would be more interested in supporting Walmart more wouldn't even involve cutting staff. Bring in some self checkouts, but bring 24H here beyond more than just Christmas! That, and have sensible prices on oil without chasing sales, and I'd be a lot happier!
wink.gif

The first stores here to install self check out was HEB and Kroger. They did it long before Walmart. Then you have Red Box. I don't hear anyone blaming them for the demise of the video rental stores. I just have never understood all the Walmart hate. They don't treat their employees/customers any worse than other corporate retail stores.

Originally Posted By: Lawn_Care
Originally Posted By: Garak

Understood, Garak. Problem is - when the idea was passed on to Wal-mart's associates (my wife is a 15-year employee there), it was mentioned in their company meeting that the self-checkout lanes would reduce the number of needed cashiers. They were told this - point blank from the District Manager from Bentonville, Arkansas (corp. office) who was visiting that morning.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc....
I realise this is not always the case, and you're correct - many times the self-checkout lane is much quicker and more convenient. But when being told from the top down that the direct reason was to cut back on staffing (and schedule fewer hours for the cashiers they already have), that makes a statement. I, for one, will not support a move like that, even if it means shopping somewhere else.

Not sure what all this has to do with "Oil at Walmart" or why the mods haven't locked this thread yet, but as in the case of my employer, through normal staffing attrition rates, the emergence of efficiency initiatives, automation, and overall stream-lining; those who wish to remain employed, don't loose their jobs. In many cases, the more senior employees who've had ample time to demonstrate their value and ability to learn higher level positions are transitioned in to those jobs.

This isn't ONLY a Walmart thing, this is the global economy we find ourselves in today and it's very competitive. Just like the companies and businesses we're employed for, if we become complacent and not competitive, we find ourselves in a compromised position.

Mrs. Jimmy and I both very much prefer Target over Walmart. I do buy M1 AFE 0W20 for her Nissan at Walmart because I refuse to pay $10.00 a quart at parts stores. Now that we have an O'Reilley here in our town I buy our Wix filters there. I stock up on Peak conventional for my Dakota at Dollar General when they run their BOGO deal. Walmart does have good oil prices but I hate shopping there so I park in the side lot by the garden center, enter and exit the store through the garden center and pay at the garden center register. There is usually no line there and the side parking lot is usually a lot less crowded with less chance of a door ding or shopping cart incident. We find Target to be on par with Walmart prices but the entire shopping experience is a lot better at Target. Every now and then I will need something else at Walmart like the Autolite 3923 spark plugs I use in my truck but 9 times out of 10 oil is about the only thing I buy at Walmart.

Costco does not carry European Mobil1, otherwise I would buy it there. Why?
Bcs their workers can enjoy Memorial day, 4th of July, Christmas, Thanxgiving, have decent health insurance and retirement plan.
Wal Mart? Only if I cannot find something in Costco and other stores.

I have to say I am glad Walmart is going to increase the pay for their hourly people. I just wonder how much it will really be?
I understand that the profit margin is 2 to 4% in their business. Which is a very tight margin between success and failure. Walmart may have a yearly profit of 13 billion but it is a very very small percentage of total sales become profit. No one goes into business to break even. So the one billion Walmart is going to invest in their employees is a good amount. Should it be more? Maybe.

Smoke and mirrors !
Walmart did raise their starting pay. Granted, this is something that should have been done years ago. They also gave hourly managers a buck or two more an hour, which I'm sure they deserve as well.

But the employee base that's been there 3 to 12 years (the core of their staff) didn't get one penny more. As an additional slap in the face, they lowering their yearly "raise" from 40 to 50 cents to about 25 cents.

Originally Posted By: chainblu

I have to say I am glad Walmart is going to increase the pay for their hourly people. I just wonder how much it will really be?
I understand that the profit margin is 2 to 4% in their business. Which is a very tight margin between success and failure. Walmart may have a yearly profit of 13 billion but it is a very very small percentage of total sales become profit. No one goes into business to break even. So the one billion Walmart is going to invest in their employees is a good amount. Should it be more? Maybe.

Smoke and mirrors !
Walmart did raise their starting pay. Granted, this is something that should have been done years ago. They also gave hourly managers a buck or two more an hour, which I'm sure they deserve as well.

But the employee base that's been there 3 to 12 years (the core of their staff) didn't get one penny more. As an additional slap in the face, they lowering their yearly "raise" from 40 to 50 cents to about 25 cents.

Last year Wal mart, Target, McDonalds costed tax payers $153 billion. Talking about welfare!

It is because they don't have good sealing on their jugs its the same with pennzoil and every other oil they make, they use cheap jugs/caps and they don't even have an inner seal like most others... That is why they leak all over the shelves. They really have to do something about that. I believe the oil companies that have good seals on their containers have oil that has a longer shelf life. I have switched to Mobil 5000 from pennzoil because of that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back