Oil at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart's culture is profit at any cost,(cost meaning mostly people). Their headquarters is a building without windows. If you are not a workaholic, you won't last in Walmart Mgmt. That culture rolls downhill from there.

Good oil deals can be had at the Parts stores, if you watch the sale circulars, that are competitive with Walmart.

I have also left shopping carts with 20 to 30 items due to the lack of checkout staffing. I refuse to use self checkout.

Originally Posted By: BrianC
I have also left shopping carts with 20 to 30 items due to the lack of checkout staffing. I refuse to use self checkout.

I related a Wal Mart experience before, but I'll do it again because it is both amusing and instructive. I was at a WM Neighborhood Market and there was only one manned checkout open, plus four self checkouts. A man was complaining about it. An employee said, "Sir, there are two free self checkouts right now." The man replied, "Sorry, ma'am, but I do not work for Wal Mart.

Sounds like a personal problem to me.

The general BITOG mantra is the way out of low wages is to show initiative, work hard and get educated; It now appears that those type of people should also be working the aisles @ WM.

You won't find them there. The good ones have shown initiative, worked hard and got educated and have moved on.

"The Cuban Olympic Swim Team" if you will....

Last edited:

I used to feel the exact same way you do, but one day one of the clerks at Winco convinced me to try it. Now I don't want use the cashier no more.
smile.gif

These are the benefits of self checkout:
1. No lines (or short lines) and super fast
2. No cashier looking at you funny and judging you
3. No cashier touching your stuff after licking their fingers
4. No cashier asking you if you want paper or plastic
5. No cashier frowning at you for wanting to unload your pennies
6. You can buy personal items without feeling embarrassed

They should just dismantle the fruits and vegetables aisle; just hand me a straw hat and point me to the bean patch.

Don't put the boxed stuff on the shelves either; I'll bring my own box cutter and flashlight.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

I used to feel the exact same way you do, but one day one of the clerks at Winco convinced me to try it. Now I don't want use the cashier no more.
smile.gif

The only way to fix these problems is to go see a psychiatrist....

Originally Posted By: LubeLuke

laugh.gif

Merky, they're only judging you based on your oil choices and application

^Yeah, but you have to get "approval" to buy fuel injector cleaner and windshield washer fluid regardless.

If you're getting high on either product, though, you have MUCH bigger issues.

Self Checkout = less jobs = more profit for Walmart. Not that profit is bad. But, there needs to be be a balance. I think Walmart is pushing the limit. Therefore I limit my shopping there.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Walmart needs new leadership. I can't believe that Walmart management isn't aware of how consumers in general regard the giant retailer. The merchandise is in disarray in almost every department and the employees look like people I see at the local rescue mission and they all act like zombies. I wish I didn't have to trade there, but in this small city ,there really isn't another store with the extensive inventory found at Walmart. For c*#% sake Walmart big-wigs, get off your duff and make some changes.Spend some time in the stores talking to customers. I watched two guys from the automotive department carrying on like they were at a honky tonk. Isn't the store manager aware of the grab a** that goes on where the public can see that nonsense? Absolutely disgusting. Our local grocer wouldn't put up with those scruffy derelicts for ten seconds.
lmaorof

Self Checkout = less jobs = more profit for Walmart. Not that profit is bad. But, there needs to be be a balance. I think Walmart is pushing the limit. Therefore I limit my shopping there.

Kroger had self checkout before Walmart. Meijer also uses them.

Self-Checkout is a ploy by Wal-Mart to downsize the work staff. Other retailers have it for convenience, but wally world has it for that reason only. I absolutely refuse to support this practice, and will also leave a full cart and walk out - as a matter of principle.

Haha reminds me of when my gf JUST started (time of the month :^P) and sent me to the store to grab her some "feminine products" and a bottle of Midol. Of course the ONLY cashier happened to be this super hot chickedee,and when I nonchalantly laid the "items" on the register,she says loud enough for the entire world to hear "Aww you're such a sweetheart!!" and I could literally feel my face turning red haha!

That would've been a good time for me to swallow my pride and use the self checkout! :^P Haha

Originally Posted By: LubeLuke

smile.gif

Ecommerce problem solved

I limit my shopping there at Walmart as well. I do not care for how they pay their hourly workers. But I usually buy oil there because it is significantly less expensive than AA or AZ. Example is that PYB is $29.99 regular price at AA not on sale. Wally world it is $16.47. I am not expecting the auto parts stores to be cheaper than Walmart. But I want them to at least be somewhat close. Say like $19.99 or maybe a dollar more for PYB everyday price. I would spend the extra three dollars than go to Walmart. Not 11 or up 14 dollars more. That being said AA does have some good sales when they put products on sale. Often times a bit cheaper than it would be for oil and filter at Walmart.
I have to say I am glad Walmart is going to increase the pay for their hourly people. I just wonder how much it will really be?
I understand that the profit margin is 2 to 4% in their business. Which is a very tight margin between success and failure. Walmart may have a yearly profit of 13 billion but it is a very very small percentage of total sales become profit. No one goes into business to break even. So the one billion Walmart is going to invest in their employees is a good amount. Should it be more? Maybe.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Haha reminds me of when my gf JUST started (time of the month :^P) and sent me to the store to grab her some "feminine products" and a bottle of Midol. Of course the ONLY cashier happened to be this super hot chickedee,and when I nonchalantly laid the "items" on the register,she says loud enough for the entire world to hear "Aww you're such a sweetheart!!" and I could literally feel my face turning red haha!

That would've been a good time for me to swallow my pride and use the self checkout! :^P Haha

That's a pretty good story.
grin2.gif

Quote:
I think Walmart is pushing the limit. Therefore I limit my shopping there.

+1

I have abandoned carts at Walmart out of frustration, but not since I stopped spending my $$$s there 5 years ago.

I refuse to shop there, even for oil.
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back