Oil and Moly

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I was reading in previous posts about piston slap,an oil with moly in it could prevent some of the noise.What are some oils that contain alot of moly?Thanks
canada.gif

Redline has lots of Moly.

quote:

Originally posted by Pontiac735:
From what I was reading in previous posts about piston slap,an oil with moly in it could prevent some of the noise.What are some oils that contain alot of moly?Thanks
canada.gif

Are there any other household brands...I don't remember seeing that type of oil in any of the automtive stores up here(my area of Canada).
frown.gif

You might want to do a search on "Piston Slap" such as:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001267#000006

I believe piston slap can be reduced through a combination of an additional AW/EP such as moly, and by increasing the viscosity of the oil. Offset wrist pins and shorter piston skirts (a designed-in "feature") is, I believe, the major cause of PS.

[ April 30, 2003, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Most of the popular oils contain moly now. Mobil 1 SuperSyn has about 90ppm of moly, Pennzoil and Castrol use about 60ppm. Schaeffer Oils have about 170ppm.

I find with my engine 3.1 GM,most of the tapping comes at any time...hot,warm,cold...just about anytime,it gets rather annoying.Thanks

IIRC=if I recall corectly

Piston slap quieting is more of a viscosticity thing than an AW thing....

But the noise itself is mostly a piston design issue and eventually no oil helps much....

Steve,

Aw/EP's form a three-layer plastic film that keeps wear from ocurring between adjacent surfaces. Anything that reduces shock (oil) and rubbing (wear) is going to help.

snatchface (cool name, btw...I guess
cool.gif
):

Indeed Amsoil doesn't have Mo, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have AW agents.

As for Mo and piston slap - I have seen no studies that say high Mo (or Mo) = low piston slap noise. M1 has Mo, but depending on the car (read piston design) it doesn't mean low noise, in FACT some folks have had higher noise from M1.

BUTT - I DO agree with Molecule - the plastic film from AW agents in general helps.

Practically speaking I have seen folks that are running a xW-30 get some slap noise improvement from a xW-40, mainly a 15W-40....

I'm with Pablo, go to the thickest oil
Amsoil has thick esters that might also help the shock, and they are loaded with ZDDP's, a lower temp AW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back