Oil and filter recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gixxer46
I am curious as to why I shouldn’t rotate oils?
Some concern over mixing additives from 2 brands together, thats all.
When we change oil, some of the old oil is still in there, so something like 5%-20% of any sump is the previous oil. We know this because we see, for example, somehow who switched from Castrol Edge, with 30 ppm Ti, and the new oil put in has no Ti, but the UOA results in 5 ppm Ti.

Originally Posted By: ENGINEER60
0w-30 is a much better choice

Why is the 0w30 a better choice?

To answer your question about alternating oil between RP and Amsoil, I believe the Amsoil is a better product than RP, so why keep going back and forth to an inferior oil. Secondly someone else is trying to push the Pennzoil because that's who Dodge Chrysler has a partnership with. My opinion is that Pennzoil also is not a better oil than the Amsoil. Northern Sask. winters are brutal, I imagine even the summers are short and cool. I would stay with Amsoil SS 0w20 or 0w30 if you're more comfortable with a 30 weight. JMO. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: madeej11
To answer your question about alternating oil between RP and Amsoil, I believe the Amsoil is a better product than RP, so why keep going back and forth to an inferior oil. Secondly someone else is trying to push the Pennzoil because that's who Dodge Chrysler has a partnership with. My opinion is that Pennzoil also is not a better oil than the Amsoil. Northern Sask. winters are brutal, I imagine even the summers are short and cool. I would stay with Amsoil SS 0w20 or 0w30 if you're more comfortable with a 30 weight. JMO. Good luck.

I appreciate the feedback. Our winters are very cold and summers are very hot. The RP goes on sale making it much more affordable. Hence, why I get it.

Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus or Pennzoil Ultra Pure Plus 0W20 if available in Canada paired with a Fram Ultra. I beg the differ that Amsoil is better than these two products.

Dale

You may beg to differ all you want but I'm pretty sure if we asked say 100 guys from this forum and they answered without bias, I believe the Amsoil would come out on top.

You may beg to differ all you want but I'm pretty sure if we asked say 100 guys from this forum and they answered without bias, I believe the Amsoil would come out on top.

Doubtful.

OP, I'd Run M1 EP/AP for 15/20k miles with a Fram XG.

I didn't see anyone suggesting any Mobil products, check the other posts. OP mine and a +2 for the SS.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
We get really cold weather. I drive primarily short city trips.

I see condensation and fuel dilution in your future.

I do periodic longer trips to combat this. I’ll go for a longer trip once a week or so to fight this.

I have similar situation. In winter time, there are those days , its so freaking cold but you need to do that 1.5 km walmart trip but then you feel like just coming home and be cozy.

Question - Does a weekly 20 to 25 kms one way trip can really overcome the condensation and fuel dilution issues....

If you see my signature, I am planning to move to mobil1 ow20 EP and plan for 9 months OCI but I defintely do short trips that too in winter time to time....

engine logetivity is priority. what do bitog experieced folks think about it?

Last edited:
Tough to say. Based on the UOA it faired fairly with over 10k and a year and three months since the oil was last changed. Do a UOA to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back