Oil and filter recommendation for a Mazdaspeed 6!!!

just recently bought a 2006 mazdaspeed 6 with 250k km's on the dash (i know that a lot for a turbo engine). As far as the reliability is concerned, the car was well maintained by the previous owner. Car has no issues with the vvt atcuator (common for all speed's). The MZR engine requires 5W30 oil, while i was researching for the grade of oil to use, there was a post on mazdaspeed forums saying "To keep oil from seeping past the turbo seals (problem with this car), use 5W-40 in the winter (if it's cold), and 10W-40 in the summer".

my use case for the car: 60km daily, with some spirited drving

I have been thinking of using pp 5w40 euro on my next oil change(soon), reason being i can get it cheap.

My question are:
1)Would A3/B4 oils be than C3, for a DI? Or any other PAO-based (Group IV) or ester-based (Group V) synthetic oil, exception being pp ultra (heard good things about liqui moly 5w40 molygen)
2)should i go for a regular or synthetic oil filter? (i have a spare yellow penzoil fiter, last time i checked they are made by purolator)
3) I'm going to a changeover for the trans fluid, (car requires 2.5lt of 75w90), i currenly have 2lt of motul 300 75w90 gear oil and plenty of motul 300 75w85, is it okay to mix 0.5lt of 75w85 into 2lt of 75w90. (i know it's a dumb question, but assume i know about stuff but don't know enough), i can get the armsoil severe gear oil but getting rid of stuff i already have would be useful.

Welcome to BITOG 🥳

I think the small amount of 75w85 will be just fine.

PP Euro 5w40 is a good choice. Pair it with a Mahle oil filter.

Welcome to BITOG 🥳

I think the small amount of 75w85 will be just fine.

PP Euro 5w40 is a good choice. Pair it with a Mahle oil filter.
finally over the anxiety of the first post.

i think over here in canada all napa proselect(regular) lineup of filter are all mahle, not sure about gold(regular+) or platinum(synthetic) lines

finally over the anxiety of the first post.

i think over here in canada all napa proselect(regular) lineup of filter are all mahle, not sure about gold(regular+) or platinum(synthetic) lines

The Napa Proselect is Mann/Purolator. Napa Gold is also Wix, but Purolator has been cheapening these, too. The Platinum is still safe for now. It might still be worth getting the Mahle from Rock Auto or some other source.

If you stick with Napa, get the Platinum.

If you decide not to use the 75w85 Motul, Napa also sells Pennzoil Platinum Gear 75w90 in Canada but not the US.

The Napa Proselect is Mann/Purolator. Napa Gold is also Wix, but Purolator has been cheapening these, too. The Platinum is still safe for now. It might still be worth getting the Mahle from Rock Auto or some other source..

At Canadian retail prices, you can get four or five Mahle filters from RockAuto for the price of a Napa Platinum here!

Make sure the gear oil you use in the trans is GL-4 for the synchro's. I used Redline MT-90 in my Mazda 3.

Motul 300 75w90 is both API gl4/ gl5, that should be good enough, but the concern is.. its been on the shelf for almost 2-3 years now.

The Napa Proselect is Mann/Purolator. Napa Gold is also Wix, but Purolator has been cheapening these, too. The Platinum is still safe for now. It might still be worth getting the Mahle from Rock Auto or some other source.

If you stick with Napa, get the Platinum.

If you decide not to use the 75w85 Motul, Napa also sells Pennzoil Platinum Gear 75w90 in Canada but not the US.
right now i have.. half a bottle of redline mt90 and only 1lt of penzoil 75w90. So mixing different brands didn't seemed like a good idea at first.

The bane of the Mazdaspeed engines is LSPI, it destroyed many an engine until the phenomenon was figured out. What did the previous owner use for oil - that’s a good place to start. Personally I’d stick with an SP oil because it’s tweaked for timing chain protection and LSPI mitigation. Keep the revs up; lugging a Mazdaspeed engine can lead to peril. I had 2 Mazdaspeed 3s and the gear boxes on them did the best with Motorcraft XT-M5-QS.
A member here rolled his Mazdaspeed 3 to high mileage using plain old Mobil 1 synthetic with no problems at all.
Good Luck 👍 Nice car!
DV

The bane of the Mazdaspeed engines is LSPI, it destroyed many an engine until the phenomenon was figured out. What did the previous owner use for oil - that’s a good place to start. Personally I’d stick with an SP oil because it’s tweaked for timing chain protection and LSPI mitigation. Keep the revs up; lugging a Mazdaspeed engine can lead to peril. I had 2 Mazdaspeed 3s and the gear boxes on them did the best with Motorcraft XT-M5-QS.
A member here rolled his Mazdaspeed 3 to high mileage using plain old Mobil 1 synthetic with no problems at all.
Good Luck 👍 Nice car!

what does 'SP oil' means, sorry im new here

As for keeping up with the revs, i was told not to go into boost in 4th gear or above below 3000, that will help from lugging and warming up going into boost.

what does 'SP oil' means, sorry im new here

As for keeping up with the revs, i was told not to go into boost in 4th gear or above below 3000, that will help from lugging and warming up going into boost.
ohhh the ILSAC GF-6 specifications ..

at first i thought that was too wierd for a abbreviation.

But to answer your original question, PP 5W40 Euro would do nicely in your application.

I wouldn't pick it over PP, but a budget option to keep in your back pocket is SuperTech 5W40 Euro (only available in Canada, so not many posters here would be familiar with it), $20 for 5L and meets many (most?) of the same European OEM certifications as PP 5W40 Euro.

Back