Oil and filter questions with stored bike

Tried to search through but couldn't quite find answers, I have a Honda cbr1000 that was ridden maybe 50 miles a year and I finally changed the oil after 3 years(had rotella t6 in it), the oil came out golden brown, almost new looking, so in this particular case, is it ok to change the oil after 3 years or should it be 1-2 years? Also is it really necessary to change the oil filter or can it just be emptied and reinstalled? I don't mind spending the 8 bucks on a new filter but it seems like such a waste on a almost new purolater P1 filter.

I realize JASO is an important spec but considering I barely ride, can I use a typical auto grade oil and what should I look for? Or just stick to the rotella t6 5w40.

I change my bike oil every 1-2 years depending on mileage. If I have less than 2000 miles, it goes another season. At your rate, sure, 3 years, why not.
My opinion is that if you are changing the oil, change the filter. It takes only a minute or two. Removing and draining an oil filter is a pain for very little gain. Old comes off, new goes on.

I agree with blupu
One thing I would definitely not do is run the engine to warm up and off after a while; this will only create condensation inside the engine and can add fuel dilution to your oil.

No comment about using car oil in your bike. For me base on what's available over here, I always you MCapproved oil

Any JASO MA/MA2 oil is fine, Rotella meets the spec and is good oil. You don't have to use the overpriced motorcycle-specific oils, although many riders choose to use the high-end stuff in their racing bikes and garage queens. Personally I would not go more than 2 years on the oil... you might not see any adverse effects by going longer, but it needs to be drained periodically and most motorcycles don't hold that much oil anyway. You can use the same filter for several years but don't remove it just to drain the little oil it holds. Removing the oil filter presents another opportunity to introduce dirt and other contaminants into the engine. Just leave the filter on the bike and do a drain/fill of the main case.

Any JASO MA/MA2 oil is fine, Rotella meets the spec and is good oil. You don't have to use the overpriced motorcycle-specific oils, although many riders choose to use the high-end stuff in their racing bikes and garage queens. Personally I would not go more than 2 years on the oil... you might not see any adverse effects by going longer, but it needs to be drained periodically and most motorcycles don't hold that much oil anyway. You can use the same filter for several years but don't remove it just to drain the little oil it holds. Removing the oil filter presents another opportunity to introduce dirt and other contaminants into the engine. Just leave the filter on the bike and do a drain/fill of the main case.
I like what you are saying DGXR however when you say Rotella, I think of T4. Rotella T4 15w40 doesn’t maintain shift quality in a shared sump. Maybe T6 15w40 does, but not T4 in my use. M1 10w40 4T and 20w50 V-Twin maintain for over 5000 miles in my shared sump (ZRX 1200). Find it on sale for under 10 bucks a quart, use the Mobil rebates and it’s no different than changing less expensive oil twice as often. Compared to M1, Rotella is down on the anti-wear z and p additives that I prefer for the rocker arm valve train in the ZRX. With respect to removing the oil filter and draining the oil, I find it hard to believe contaminants that wouldn’t be seen could be introduced in that short period of time that would be harmful to the engine, unless a guy threw a handful of dirt at the business end of the filter.

However your point is valid, no reason the filter can’t go for multiple oil changes, most manufacturers recommend every other.

Tried to search through but couldn't quite find answers, I have a Honda cbr1000 that was ridden maybe 50 miles a year and I finally changed the oil after 3 years(had rotella t6 in it), the oil came out golden brown, almost new looking, so in this particular case, is it ok to change the oil after 3 years or should it be 1-2 years? Also is it really necessary to change the oil filter or can it just be emptied and reinstalled? I don't mind spending the 8 bucks on a new filter but it seems like such a waste on a almost new purolater P1 filter.

I realize JASO is an important spec but considering I barely ride, can I use a typical auto grade oil and what should I look for? Or just stick to the rotella t6 5w40.
Like Bonz said above about Rotella T4... I tried Rotella T6 5W-40 a few years ago in my Honda ST1300. Shift quality went to hell in 1500 miles. I changed the oil again with T6 and again shift quality suffered very quickly. I've had better experience with Valvoline (syn and conventional motorcycle oils), Castrol ActEvo and Mobil 1 4T oils than with Rotella.

I like what you are saying DGXR however when you say Rotella, I think of T4. Rotella T4 15w40 doesn’t maintain shift quality in a shared sump. Maybe T6 15w40 does, but not T4 in my use. M1 10w40 4T and 20w50 V-Twin maintain for over 5000 miles in my shared sump (ZRX 1200). Find it on sale for under 10 bucks a quart, use the Mobil rebates and it’s no different than changing less expensive oil twice as often. Compared to M1, Rotella is down on the anti-wear z and p additives that I prefer for the rocker arm valve train in the ZRX. With respect to removing the oil filter and draining the oil, I find it hard to believe contaminants that wouldn’t be seen could be introduced in that short period of time that would be harmful to the engine, unless a guy threw a handful of dirt at the business end of the filter.

However your point is valid, no reason the filter can’t go for multiple oil changes, most manufacturers recommend every other.
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. In my dirt bikes, I use a 50/50 blend of Rotella T4 and T6 both 15w40. I do this because I already had 2 jugs of T4 on hand when I bought 2 jugs of the T6 on sale LOL. Plus the T4 is a good oil at a great price, and the T6 helps the oil hold up under the heat and abuse of low speed off-road riding. And unfortunately I can't run the oil in these bikes as long as your ZRX, but then I would not want to in the conditions they see. Plus the WR450F case only holds 750cc of oil which is another conversation/gripe entirely. But they both get changed before the oil can see any significant shearing so I can't quite squeeze the value out of a $8/quart oil like you can in your bike. Regular oil changes are key to my 18 year old XR still running awesome without any engine work at all, but I try not to be OCD about the maintenance intervals. I just try to keep up with what is needed and nothing more. I don't even wash them after every ride -- as long as there is no mud caked up, and I'll be riding them again very soon, why bother? I never let them look truly bad, and also, they are dirt bikes LOL.
About the oil filter, I think of that situation similar to removing an engine cover when it is not necessary and provides little to no benefit. It's exposing the inside of the motor, which is simply another opportunity for dust and contaminants to find their way into the engine. Stuff can get in there even if we are careful. May be unlikely but still possible. Clearly you get the point. Thanks again :)

Back