Oil and ATF for 08 Nissan Quest, 35k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy all
Just bought a family ride: 08 Nissan Quest with the venerable VQ 3.5 and 5-sp auto.

It has 35k miles on it, was a rental, and got oil changes every 4-5k.

Oil: from searching the forums, looks like GC 0w30 is a no-brainer. I’ve used this oil in other vehicles and like it a lot.
It is too new to do a Auto-RX treatment on the motor, correct?

Trans: the manual says “Nissan Matic K” and does not even list the volume, instead pointing the hapless owner to the dealer for service.

Any idea what is the fill volume of the trans? I was thinking of dumping in 6oz of Auto-RX, then flush a couple times with either the Amsoil Universal or Redline D4ATF (recommended by Dave at Redline).

I've had excellent experience with Redline fluids in worn or flaky trannies, so am kinda loyal to them...

Thoughts & suggestions? Thanks!!

Do you have the manual? It should be listed in there...

If it is 4 litres for example, you could pour in 3.5 litres, then the ARX, then run the car and check/top off the fluid as required!
thumbsup2.gif

cheers3.gif

I would do one Auto RX clean and rinse phase as you dont know how rental customers treated your car and you probably will get some grime out. You can also never "know" how well the rental company took care of it.

As far as the transmission I would do more research before you put anything in there. Also, I would be willing to pay someone to drop the pan and wash out all the stuff that accumulates on the bottom. The first time you drop the pan you have a large amount of stuff in there that dosent get washed out with a flush.

I need to start a thread on it, but I too took the Auto RX plunge. I am on my 2nd clean cycle, have it in my transmission, and in my power steering fluid. I can tell a difference by how the car sounds and how it feels. Much more quiet, much more smooth.

In terms of the transmission, go with the ATF that is sold by Nissan. How much volume to fill the transmission? You can usually only get HALF of the ATF, because the other half is still in the torque converter.

You couldn't do better than using a great oil like GC and Redline/Amsoil in your tranny. Doubt you need arx in either at this point, and the use of those synthetics will keep it that way.

According to the Amsoil site, your tranny takes 7.7 quarts for a total fill.

Make sure you check your cooling system fluid as well. Good luck with your rig :)

Thanks hate2work for the Amsoil info - I had no idea they had a database of tranny volumes. I'll get under the vehicle and see how tough it would be to drop the tranny pan.

Originally Posted By: Acroy
Thanks hate2work for the Amsoil info - I had no idea they had a database of tranny volumes. I'll get under the vehicle and see how tough it would be to drop the tranny pan.
33.gif
Why didn't I think of that...

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: Acroy
33.gif
Why didn't I think of that...

the owner's manual does not list the capacity - and a FSM is not available either, Nissan has an electronic dealers-only system now.

you can buy it, but yer not qualified to work on it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back