Oil analysis question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this is the right forum for this, it looked like the oil analysis forums were just for the analysis reports.

My car has 61k miles on it. I've used Amsoil+PureOne since the first oil change and have always changed it at Honda's recommended interval (10k when I was driving 150 highway miles a day, 5k now that I'm commuting locally).

I've been reading these forums recently and it seems like Auto-RX is highly recommended, so I ordered a bottle of that. I plan to change my filter and pour the bottle (or rather, 8 ounces) in this weekend.

I've also been reading here that used oil analysis is a good idea to see how your engine is wearing.

Here is my problem - I've only gone about 3500 miles since my last change. That's good for Auto-RX, because after their recommended 1500 miles with it in my engine, I'll be due for my 5k oil/filter change.

But is there a point to doing the oil analysis after only 3500 miles? Will used oil analysis give me any indication of cumulative wear on my engine, or just wear that has occurred since my last oil change?

UOAs only tell you about the amount of wear metals (and pollutants) created during the time the oil was in service. There may be small traces from a previous OCI simply because you can never drain all the oil out of an engine via the oil pan, but the influence is pretty small.

UOAs are best used to define a baseline and look for trends, thus the sooner you start doing them the sooner you'll have started establishing a baseline. Don't go overboard, though, and sample every 1,000 miles.
smile.gif
Add your Auto-Rx, drive 1,500 miles, then send that oil in for analysis.

The Auto-Rx won't affect the results of the UOA? (meaning, if I send the oil in after the 1500 miles with Auto-RX, I'll be sending in oil that contains Auto-RX)

And on the same topic, where do people here send their oil for analysis? I noticed Blackstone labs mentioned in one thread. Any others?

"You might want to use Auto-RX with conventional oil and not Amsoil".
--------------------------------------------------------
That's right. I remember reading on their web site, that they recommend conventional oil for the treatment.

You can do the 1500 mile clean phase with dino or syn, but after you change your oil + ARX the RINSE phase is where dino is a must.

Dino is recommended for both phases, but is not mandatory for the clean phase.

Amsoil offers an oil analyis service, IIRC. Check their web site for more info.

Butler Labs is another lab some folks use for UOA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back