Oil Analysis Marvel Mystery Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Postjeepcr, I have not completed a test showing that this will flash. However, what happens to water in your oil when your car reaches operating temperature? If it comes close to 212 like it should be the water evaporates out. The same holds true with MMO. With a flash point of 160, the volatiles will flash off when your oil exceeds this temperature.

ionbeam22. I am a chemist but am not in the field anymore. However, I have full access to a GC-MS but not an AA. I am going to take a sample today and run it to see what I can find. I will post the results.

It will boil off if the oil gets hot enough (over 300F), that is how distillation works you separate fluids by their boiling points. I doubt it forms an azeotrope like water and alcohol as I am assuming they are nonpolar. Now the flash point is a bit different than boiling point (it is lower) but you can bet that some of the volatiles are vaporizing. You do hear people report that they need to top off after using 20% mmo so it makes sense. Unfortunately I have not access to any lab equipment anymore, my instrumental professor would have loved to run the stuff through all his machines, crazy russian chemist.

Originally Posted By: fsskier
Sticky Lifters, in the 50's....

OK, sorry to overload this thread but.... certainly a good example of cleaners/improvements that are now in your oil

Our 55 Chevrolet was very typical of cars at the time. Hydraulic lifters had come into use, oils were not up to the challenge yet.
One or more lifters would stick in the partially collapsed position, resulting in about .020 valve lash and a constant clickety clack that would make a diesel owner envious.

This would usually happen after a quick run to redline, when the oil was ready to be changed - about 2 k miles. Then, they would do it nearly every time, taking maybe 5 minutes to return to normal when sedate driving patterns returned.

Flip in an oil change, wow, rod the devil out of it, no problems for 1,000 miles.... then the problem slowly returned until by 2,000 miles it happened pretty much every time. DO NOT bring dads car home clattering, he KNOWS what causes it.
(My 41 Plymouth had proper solid lifters in it of course you can rod it endlessly without evidence emerging)

This happened repeatedly to just about every car at that time, how often does it happen to you now??? Never???

Yup, the stuff you need is already in there!!!

Not so sure. My 95 BMW 525i M50 6 cylinder with hydaulic lifters will run AND idle fine for a about 3,500 miles on synthetic oil. Then a light ticking will start after warm idleing for 30 seconds or more. Rev slightly and it goes away. Longer you keep the oil in, the more often it happens. I usually change ever 4,000 to 5,000 miles. I change the oil and ticking goes away for another 3,500 miles or so.

FYI, I have done three auto-rx treatments and two oil changes with MMO for the last 1000 miles. This time, with MMO, the ticking did not start unitl about 4,500 miles. Perhaps more MMO. :)

Last edited:
+1 I agree completely.
Originally Posted By: fsskier
I have looked long and hard for any evidence that MMO has any value in motor oil...... except perhaps the placebo effect.
The varied claims.....

good fogging oil
reduces wear
good cleaner
protects upper cylinder
better gas mileage
thinner, helps cold starting
increases oil pressure
engine got quiet
engine got noisy
easily 5 more if you look..

Contradictory results indicate that the improvement is in the eye of the beholder.

One that a quick search showed includes the statement: "My car has reached 200K and still runs well - I attribute this
to MMO"

So, let me add my equally scientific observation: "My two cars, including an extreme use tow vehicle, have now reached 300K miles, still running like new, are clean inside,burn no oil, etc."

I attribute this to having never contaminated my oil with any additives!

Probably one gobazillion hours have gone in to determining the ideal amount of detergents, dispersants, etc in your GF4 oil, if more made things better it would likely be in the GF4 requirements!

Did I miss something, where is the Analysis at?

Email it to me and I will remove all personal data and post it. Thanks.

Last edited:
Older VOAs of mmo showed closer to 900ppm P wonder if they lowered it as the SM oils lowered their levels or it is just Blackstone?

Originally Posted By: Russell

FYI, I have done three auto-rx treatments and two oil changes with MMO for the last 1000 miles. This time, with MMO, the ticking did not start unitl about 4,500 miles. Perhaps more MMO. :)

What sequence and mileage did you do the Auto-Rx?

Originally Posted By: gs300tx
I thoguht it contained boron too
Yes, according to previous analyses:
Originally Posted By: kingrob
Also, the Boron content is known to fluctuate between 33ppm-45ppm. It's still unknown if this is a QC issue or innacurate/non-standardized testing.

Last edited:
I borrowed this from another thread, HTH.

70% Light Aromatic Oil (Pale Oil)
- It is a Naphthenic Oil, so while it oxidizes faster than a Paraffinic oil, it does clean and dissolve sludge and carbon well and cleans up after itself from any oxidation. serves as base oil as well. [Naphthenic oils have more solvency and are more polar (they are attracted to metal more), but oxidize faster.

29% Mineral Spirits
- Cleans Varnish very well. General cleaner. Also acts as an antioxidant.

38 parts per million (ppm) Boron
- AW/EP agent, friction reducer, antioxidant

900 ppm Phosporous
- AW/EP agent

1/2% 1, 2 ortho-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

1/4% 1, 4 para-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

Oil of wintergreen - for the scent
- Not just for the cent, is also a cleaner. may aid lubricity.

Red Dye - for the color
- well this one just colors the stuff

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Thanks for posting this, I hadn't seen it before.

No problem. It takes some of the mystery out of it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

It only takes the mystery out of it if accurate.

I've followed Jax's posts with great interest, not only here but also over at RX8Cub, but it's worth mentioning that Terry's reverse engineering of MMO does not sync with your (Jax's) post above, "not even close!"

So there is indeed still some mystery to marvel about. Obviously, I can't say more about this here as Terry's info is proprietary.

Jax's information was good enough for me, that and his use of the product. Then I have my 35+ years of successfully using the product myself. I'm pretty sure even reverse engineering the product isn't completely accurate.

It all comes down to who you want to believe, and if you have a need or use for a product. No need, use, or belief in a product then stay clear of it. This goes for any product, and is a general statement not directed at you. JMO

BTW WELCOME TO BITOG!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! I've actually been lurking and reading for quite some time. Just wanted to preserve some mystery to life, especially on a Sunday morning.

Originally Posted By: robrecht
Thanks! I've actually been lurking and reading for quite some time. Just wanted to preserve some mystery to life, especially on a Sunday morning.

Be careful it becomes addicting, and at times competitive. [Rooting for different products].........LOL

Originally Posted By: robrecht

It only takes the mystery out of it if accurate.

I've followed Jax's posts with great interest, not only here but also over at RX8Cub, but it's worth mentioning that Terry's reverse engineering of MMO does not sync with your (Jax's) post above, "not even close!"

So there is indeed still some mystery to marvel about. Obviously, I can't say more about this here as Terry's info is proprietary.

"Not even close" - we'll see.

Following is the the 2006 MSDS (not the newer one with most of the details taken out.) I would attach the PDF, but I do not see a way to do that, so I have copied the entire thing here and higlighted key areas.

You will notice from the MSDS, that it "proves" the following from Section 2:

Naphthenic oil (70-80%)
Mineral Spirits (20-30%)
Chlorinated Hydrocarbons (0-1%)

It goes on the further define the chlorinated hydrocarbons in Part 15 as:
ortho-dichlorobenzene - 0-.25%
p-dichlorobenzene - less than 150 ppm

Notice in part 9 is states "odor" as Wintergreen - from the Oil of Wintergreen.

The Boron and Phosphorous have been born out in VOA's, although the last one for some reason did not pick up the Boron.

Of course there may be still more within MMO that we cannot see with VOA or has been revealed though MSDSs, but until Marvel reveals it (not likely), this is the best we have.

This is not meant as a slam on Terry, but if he is stating something different, I would think that Marvel knows a little more than he does about their own product.

June 29, 2006 Page 1 of 5
MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET

1. PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTICATION
PRODUCT NAME Marvel Mystery Oil
PRODUCT CODE MM003, MM007, MM08, MM010, MM011,
MM012R, MM12R, MM013R, MM13R, MM014R,
MM14R, MM015, MM016, MM017, MM018,
MM613
CHEMICAL FAMILY Petroleum Distillates
CHEMICAL NAME Complex Mixture of Hydrocarbons
FORMULA Mixture
MANUFACTURER EMERGENCY TELEPHONE NUMBERS
Marvel Oil Company, Inc Transportation:
625 Willowbrook Centre Parkway CHEMTREC: 800-424-9300
Willowbrook, IL 60527 Medical:
Phone: 630-455-3866 ROCKY MTN POISON CTR: 800-332-3073
Fax: 630-455-3868

2. POSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
COMPONENT CAS NUMBER CONCENTRATION (wt %)
Naphthenic Hydrocarbons 64742-52-5 70 – 80
Mineral Spirits 08052-41-3 20 – 30
Chlorinated Hydrocarbons 00095-50-1 0 – 1

EXPOSURE LIMITS 8 hrs. TWA(ppm)
OSHA PEL ACGIH TLV
Naphthenic Hydrocarbons 5 as oil mist 5 as oil mist
Mineral Spirits 100 100
Chlorinated Hydrocarbons 25 25

3. HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS
INHALATION: Can cause nasal and respiratory irritation, dizziness, weakness, fatigue, nausea,
headache, possible unconsciousness and even asphyxiation.
INGESTION: Can cause gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Aspiration into lungs
can cause pneumonitis which can be fatal.
SKIN CONTACT: Prolonged or repeated contact can cause moderated irritation, defatting or dermatitis.

June 29, 2006 Page 2 of 5

EYE CONTACT: Can cause severe irritation, redness, tearing or blurred vision.

4. FIRST AID MEASURES
EYE: Flush with large amounts of water, lifting upper and lower eyelids occasionally. Get medical
attention.
SKIN: Thoroughly was exposed area with soap and water. Remove contaminated clothing. Launder
before re-use.
INHALATION: Remove person to fresh air. If breathing difficult, administer oxygen. If breathing has
stopped, give artificial respiration. Keep person warm and quiet. Call a physician.
INGESTION: Do not induce vomiting. Keep person quiet and warm. Get medical attention. Aspiration
of material into lungs can cause chemical pneumonitis which can be fatal.

5. FIRE FIGHTING MEASURES
FLASH POINT: 128 º F (53 º C) TCC
EXTINGUISHING MEDIA: Carbon dioxide, dry chemical, foam.
SPECIAL FIRE FIGHTING PROCEDURES: Wear self-contained breathing apparatus with full
facepiece operated with positive pressure-demand when fighting large fires.

6. ACCIDENTIAL RELEASE MEASURES
SPILL OR LEAK PROCEDURES: Ventilate area. Remove sources of ignition. Prevent entry into
sewers and waterways. Pick up free liquid for recycle and/or disposal. Absorb small amounts on inert
material for disposal.

7. HANDLING AND STORAGE
STORAGE TEMPERATURE (MIN./MAX.): -40 º F (-40 º C)/ 120 º F (49 C)
SHELF LIFE: 3 years minimum when the original container is kept tightly closed and properly stored.
SPECIAL SENSITIVITY: None.
HANDLING AND STORAGE PRECAUTIONS: Empty containers may be dangerous since fumes may
still exist. Observe precautions given for this product as stated in this document.

8. EXPOSURE CONTROLS/PERSONAL PROTECTION
EYE PROTECTION REQUIREMENTS: Splash goggles.
SKIN PROTECTION REQUIREMENTS: Wear chemically resistant gloves.
RESPIRATOR/VENTILATION REQUIREMENTS: Provide sufficient ventilation to avoid exposure
levels above the established TLV’s.
EXPOSURE LIMITS: Not established for product as whole.
Mineral Spirits NIOSH 100 ppm TWA
Oil Mist OSHA 5 mg/m3

June 29, 2006 Page 3 of 5

9. PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
PHYSICAL FORM: Thin liquid
COLOR: Red
ODOR: Wintergreen
BOILING POINT: Not determined
MELT / FREEZE POINT - 60 º F ( - 51 º C)
PH: Not applicable
SOLUBILITY IN WATER: Insoluble
SPECIFIC GRAVITY: 0.876 @ 60 º F (15.6 º C)
% VOLATILE BY WEIGHT: 25 %
VAPOR PRESSURE: Not determined
VAPOR DENSITY: Not determined

10. REACTIVITY
STABILITY: Stable
HAZARDOUS POLYMERIZATION: Will not occur.
INCOMPATIBILITIES: Strong oxidizing agents.
DECOMPOSITION PRODUCTS: Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and hydrocarbons.

11. TOXICOLOGICAL INFORMATION
ACUTE INHALATION: Aspiration into lungs can cause pneumonitis which can be fatal.
CHRONIC INHALATION: Not determined.
ACUTE SKIN CONTACT: Prolonged or repeated contact can cause moderate irritation, defatting or
dermatitis.
CHRONIC SKIN CONTACT: Not determined.
ACUTE EYE CONTACT: Can cause severe irritation, redness, tearing or blurred vision.

12. ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION
No data available.

13. DISPOSAL CONSIDERATIONS
Ignitable hazardous waste, EPA Hazardous Waste Number D001
WASTE DISPOSAL METHOD: Dispose of product in accordance with all local, state and federal laws
and regulations.

June 29, 2006 Page 4 of 5

14. TRANSPORT INFORMATION
DOT INFORMATION:
PROPER SHIPPING NAME: Non Bulk Not regulated
Bulk Petroleum distillates, n.o.s.
TECHNICAL SHIPPING NAME: Fuel and oil additive
HAZARD CLASS: Non Bulk ORM-D
Bulk Class 3
UN NUMBER: UN 1268
PRODUCT RQ (lbs): None
LABEL: Non Bulk ORM-D
Bulk Flammable Liquid
PLACARD: Non Bulk None
Bulk Flammable Liquid
FREIGHT CLASS BULK: PG III
FREIGHT CLASS PACKAGE: None
PRODUCT LABEL None

15. REGULATORY INFORMATION
TSCA STATUS: All ingredients listed.
CERCLA REPORTABLE QUANTITY: None
SARA TITLE III:
SECTION 302 EXTREMELY
HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCES None
SECTION 311/312
HAZARD CATEGORIES
Acute Health Yes
Chronic Health Yes
Fire Yes
Reactive No
Sudden Release of Pressure No
SECTION 313
CHEMICAL NAME CAS NUMBER CONCENTRATION
Ortho-dichlorobenzene 00095-50-1 0 – 0.25 %

RCRA STATUS: If discarded in its purchased form, this product would be an ignitable waste with an
EPA Hazardous Waste Number of D001. However, under RCRA, it is the responsibility of the product

June 29, 2006 Page 5 of 5

user to determine at the time of disposal, whether a material containing the product should be classified as a
hazardous waste. (40CFR261.20-24)
CANADIAN STATUS: All materials contained in this product are listed on the Canadian Domestic
Substances List.
EUROPEAN UNION: All materials contained in this product are listed on EINECS.
STATE REGULATORY INFORMATION
The following chemicals are specifically listed by individual states; other product specific health and safety
data in other sections of the MSDS may also be applicable for state requirements. For details on your
regulatory requirements you should contact the appropriate agency in your state.
COMPONENT/
CAS NUMBER CONCENTRATION STATE CODE
p-dichlorobenzene less than 150 ppm CA
00106-46-7

CA = Material known to the state of California to cause cancer and/or birth defects. (California Proposition
65).

16. OTHER INFORMATION
HMIS CLASSIFICATION Health 2
Flammability 2
Reactivity 0
PPI B
NFPA RATING Health 2
Fire 2
Reactivity 0
Special None
REASON FOR ISSUE Revise address, phone and fax numbers
PREPARED BY Richard P. Kelly
TITLE Technical Manager
APPROVAL DATE June 29, 2006
SUPERCEDES DATE September 1, 2005
REVISION NUMBER #07
This information is to the best of Marvel Oil Company’s knowledge and belief, accurate and reliable.
However, no representation, warranty, or guarantee is made to its accuracy, reliability or completeness. It
is the users responsibility to satisfy himself as to the suitableness and completeness of such information for
his own particular use.
Msdsmm10-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back