Oil analysis cost

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a 50 dollar ceiling what lab does the best job, including TBN. Would really like TAN but that may be pushing it.

Last edited:
Blackstone provides a folksy summary that some like and others not. Some don't like their dilution measuring methodology.
Wix provides TBN at no additional cost.
I'm sure others have their own perspectives on the market.

Your choice depending on what's important to you.

I like the format of Blackstone's results, they're easy to read and understand. It seems most use them so it's a format that's prevalent on this board. The results have always seemed accurate enough for me, nothing peculiar has ever turned up. Cost is reasonable at $28 or $38 with TBN, postage included in that price.

They used to have you get your own postage but a couple(?) years ago they started shipping their containers postage pre-paid. Of course they tacked the cost of shipping onto the price I'm sure, but it's rather convenient just dropping the container in your mailbox as opposed to running to the post office.

My only gripe with them is that lately there's been about a 3 week turnaround time, been this way for the last 2-3 samples I've turned in. I'm never in a particular hurry to get my results back, but three weeks seems excessive for the type of service they perform. It's never bothered me enough to switch companies, but if it starts approaching the one month mark, I just might!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back