Oil analysis 9583 miles on $12.99 Kendall oc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been a lurker here but decided to join after cleaning out some files and coming across a report from Oil Analyzers from back in 2005. The car is a 1989 Honda Accord I bought for $50. It had 189,000 miles on it at the time and I decided to run the oil for a while and have it analyzed for kicks. This was a $12.99 oil change at Firestone with Kendall 10w30 and I ran it for 9583 miles.

Here's the results:

Iron 38
Chromium 5
Lead 15
Copper 12
Tin 0
Aluminum 6
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Silicon 13
Boron 5
Sodium 69
Magnesium 21
Calcium 1876
Barium 0
Phosphorous 919
Zinc 1104
Molybdenum 24
Titanium 0
Vanadium 0
Potassium 0
Fuel % Vis @40 C cSt n/a
Vis @100C cSt 11.66
Water % 0
Soots/solids n/a
Glycol neg
TBN 2.69
Oxid 18
Nitr 17

Comments: no corrective action required. Oil is suitable for continued use.

How long ago was that kendall put in? That oil doesn't look like any current version of Kendall out there as the moly is very low and there is no titanium in it. Perhaps this was a lower grade of Kendall without titanium - which all Kendall oils now have. This looks more like trop artic/76 oil line then Kendall.

Also you might have better luck posting this in the UOA section next time as a mod will move this thread over for you.

Last edited:
The oil was changed mid 2004 at a Firestone. I really can't be sure it was Kendall as I wasn't there to watch them pour, or more likely pump it in. That's just what they said they used.

Looks like the oil held up pretty good and in that case it most likely was kendall as they weren't using the titanium additive then. I didnt notice this UOA from from 7 years ago.

Last edited:
I have no idea what a standard lead level would be for a Honda so I'll take your word for it. I remember the manual from 1989 recommended 7500 mile ocis which I was surprised to see having grown up with the marketing of 3,000 as the magic number. She ran like a dream for a $50 car, even took her to the top of Pike's Peak!

I wish my car was only $50.
crazy2.gif

The Cr = 5 is very, very high. That's indicative of poor air filtration. Yet silicon is low. Check your air filter and the duct between it and the manifold.

The Honda went on craigslist in 2006 and put $600 in my pocket. I'm pretty sure the guy that bought it never registered it as I received a letter from the city of St. Louis stating that they had impounded it for being parked on the street without proper registration and if I was still the owner I could come down and pick it up.

She probably ended up in the shredder if I had to guess. Can't beat a $50 car that I drove for over 30,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back