oil advise - 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
New 3.5 SOHC VTEC V6, 260hp@5700rpm,250ft-lb torque@3500-5000rpm, Auto, 4.2 quart sump. Oil weight must be above grade, synthetic not a problem as per owners manual but must not exceed the recomended miles/time. Garaged, will be driven about 6 miles each way to work weekday - suburb driving.Some highway miles on weekends.

First Oil/Filter change due at 7.5k(or 6 months whichever comes first - have to recheck manual.) but stealer wants it done at half that mileage(or time) for free!

Plan is to have the free service but requesting oil be taken from individual bottle and the extra pint be given to me. Looking for oil for the subsequent changes. Experiences/comments on following oils welcome:

Honda/Mobil oil
Castrol GTX
Motorcraft/Conoco
Pennzoil
Amsoil

TIA

[ April 11, 2003, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: pinoy99 ]

Ok this is my opinion, I would use either the mobil or Amsoil and run it to the recommended mileage in the manual, lets say up to 7k to be safe and not pass that 7,500 limit.

Let the dealer do the first oil change free at 3k and give you the left over.

If you don't want to do synthetic then any of the other oils will work and just change it every 3k.

patriot.gif

I agree with Rat407 except in the winter months. Asssming you live in a colder climate in NJ the problem is you don't drive it far enough in cold weather to heat it up, 6 miles is not enough. Thus, in the winter months I would go the 3-4000 mile change route and maybe have it analyzed at least once at the end of a winter to see if the oil could go further. Both of Rat407 suggestions on oil are good choices if the 5W20 is mandatory

Since you are not putting many miles on it I would go with a dino and change every 3K.
It would take more than a year to go 7K or more and that in my opinion is too long especially with the short trips.

Kevin

Using my Oil Change formula for a petroleum oil:

OCI = (40)(mpg)(sump capacity)(cubic inches/Hp)

OCI = (40)(25)(4.2)(217/260)

OCI = approx 3500 miles

If you use Mobil 1, I'd start with a 7000 mile oil/filter change interval.

TooSlick

Doesn't Pennzoil have an SL 5W-20? Or how's about a 5W-30 in either Pennzoil or Chevron Supreme @ 3K intervals?
cool.gif

I can't imagine a problem with protection under that scenario...

cheers.gif

If this is indeed an Acura (TL-S? CL-S?) don't change the oil until *at least* 5,000 miles. Hondas and Acuras are said to contain a special oil from the factory; IIRC, it contains a lot of moly.

Afterwards, use a good synthetic like Mobil 1 5W-30 or Amsoil 5W-30. Those two brands are the best. If you really want to use a 20 weight, Mobil now makes M1 0W-20 and Amsoil makes a 5W-20. xW-20 is unnecessary though, and is more for fuel economy (CAFE) concerns. M1 5W-30 is close to a 20 wt anyway.

And DON'T use ANY oil additives, Acura really frowns upon that, and if you use a good synthetic oil in the first place, you'll never need any additives.

With a good synthetic like M1 or Amsoil you can go 7,500 miles (the factory recommended interval) before an oil change, no problem. But if your drive really short, like 1 mile to work and 1 mile back, consider shortening the interval.

Honda/Acura sometimes recommends oil filter changes only at every OTHER oil change (ie, every 15,000 miles). Don't do that. Change the filter with the oil every 7,500 mi. Oil filters are cheap enough.

7000 Mile intervals on a vehicle driven mainly for very short trips is beyond my comfort level. This vehicle is a candidate for oil changes based on time rather than mileage.

If it were mine, I'd change it three times per year and use a synthetic blend oil.

I'd ask the dealer if he's willing to use 5w30 with his free service. If he's willing to change it at half the recommended interval he might be willing to use 5w30.

The vehicle is my wifes Acura MDX. It will see more miles on the weekend than weekdays. Probably keep the car 5 years or so.

Gotta stick with 5w20 at least up to 4year/50k miles warranty - manual and oil filler cap specifies grade - doubt that the dealer will put anything else + I have my reservations on 5w30 grade anyway.

I believe 5w20 comes in 2 flavors only: blend or synthetic. This grade is not too popular(yet) as an OTC oil - I've only came across Motorcraft at WM - Pepboys don't have 'em but I have not checked AutoZone or AdvanceAuto yet. Does the Mobil supporter on-site carry this grade?

Most likely go with 3750 mile oil change, keeps it simple as far as keeping track of maintenance(since 7500 is the schedule maint interval for other stuff).Probably will use Mobil when I do the change at alternate interval.

Here's an old UOA on an Acura's breakin oil at 5k.

Pinoy99,

If you want to run a 5w-20, the Amsoil XL-7500, 5w-20 synthetic holds up pretty well. I just ran some for 6200 miles in my toyota and the oil was still in very good shape, with a TBN of 6.5 and no thickening. Mobil is supposed to be coming out with a 0w-20 synthetic for these new Acura/Honda applications that call for 5w-20. That would probably be my second choice for this motor ....

You could go with a 7500 mile/6 month change with either of these synthetics ....

TooSlick

Well since you are going with the dealer change and staying with 20 wt. you can pick and choose from any of the advice above. Since you are planning to keep the car for only 5 years the 20 wt. will probably be O.K. since your summers are not out of control in Jersey.
Personally though I would be putting in 30 wt. You can find devious ways to do that.
smile.gif

Self service will be done when oil/filter change is the only specified work for that miles/time. Assuming the dealer will be using bottled Honda 5w20(made by Mobil) by request, I might just use the same thing or use Amsoil 5w20 and keep the interval at 3750/6 months;probably do change more during cold weather.

Kumusta, Pinoy99! Anong pulutan natin?
cheers.gif

If you'll be changing the oil every 3,750 miles, Honda 5W-20 will serve you just fine. No need to run synthetic oil if you'll be changing the oil that frequently... that is, unless you're obsessed with keeping the vehicle in tip-top shape beyond 250,000+ miles or something. Pero "O.A." na yan
wink.gif

Plus if you're going to have the dealer service the MDX every 7,500 miles, they'll use that Honda 5W-20 oil anyway. I would advise against constantly switching between synthetic and non-synthetic every 3,750 miles. Also, you probably wouldn't ever have to utilize an oil change interval shorter than 3,750 miles... Matibay ang MDX!

Nice ride! I'd get one of those if I were interested in an SUV.

Jason

If you are going with the 3750 interval, use the Honda 5w20, it looks pretty good in analysis on this site. Don't waste your hard earned money on a more expensive oil at that short interval.

quote:

Originally posted by quadrun1:
Kumusta, Pinoy99! Anong pulutan natin?
cheers.gif

If you'll be changing the oil every 3,750 miles, Honda 5W-20 will serve you just fine. No need to run synthetic oil if you'll be changing the oil that frequently... that is, unless you're obsessed with keeping the vehicle in tip-top shape beyond 250,000+ miles or something. Pero "O.A." na yan
wink.gif

Plus if you're going to have the dealer service the MDX every 7,500 miles, they'll use that Honda 5W-20 oil anyway. I would advise against constantly switching between synthetic and non-synthetic every 3,750 miles. Also, you probably wouldn't ever have to utilize an oil change interval shorter than 3,750 miles... Matibay ang MDX!

Nice ride! I'd get one of those if I were interested in an SUV.

Jason

Thanks for the input, Kabayan.
cheers.gif

Mani at tsitsaron lang ang pulutan natin
grin.gif

My wife likes the car/truck - size is about right not too big/small. I would prefer an LC, pre-98.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back