Ohtsu FP0612 A/S (tire purchase update)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a flat on the dodge that wasn't repairable.

Being out of town quickly whittled down the options, so my extended tire shopping experience was quickly boiled down to a few options.

Not the best treadwear warranty, but on par (if I'm not mistaken) on wet weather handling that the hydraedge we replaced had.

$354 out the door for 4 of them.

A brand from Japan. I didn't know they were available elsewhere. Checking the web says they are part of the Falken group of which I'm not familiar with.

They're ok tires, rebranded/private label version of Falken's old ZE912 (which itself was replaced by the ZE950 a few years ago)

Ohtsu was the parent company of Falken, both having been bought by Sumitomo awhile back.

I noticed the tread was really quite soft when I gave it a little pull as opposed to the tires on the Buick.

The tread warranty is only 40k miles, so I don't think they'll make it much past 3 or 4 years.

$354 is a decent price for all 4 tires installed. Yeah, ohtsu/falken are average at best and they do wear quick. I would be happy if I got 25k miles on those tires

Last edited:
Good thing you don't have to worry about snow, as despite being all-season, I don't trust them in the snow.

Great dry cornering grip, but as they wear past the 1/2 halfway point, they start to get very loud.

UG_Passat,
It's all about wet heather handling here. The Caliber is already just slightly quieter than a jet engine at full tilt, so the increase in road noise won't kill anything. They are noticeably quieter than the michelins, but those were down almost to almost bald.

I will say the old tires worn extremely evenly for their respective side. The driver side did wear down farther than the passenger side. I'm guessing because of the weight distribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back