Oh nuts!

The tires on my wife's 2018 Escape were totaled today and there was a problem. The chrome covers on a number of them were loose and expanded. So, if you were out and had a flat, you might have a problem.
A steel body with a cap was something we had trouble with 30 years ago. But, it's a way to dress up a wheel cheaply
The Europeans seem to go for alloy nuts with no caps. More expensive, but better

Common problem across many manufacturers. Happened to me too on Chrysler 200. Happens with all 2-piece lug nuts. If you have 2-piece lug nuts, replace them with 1-piece lug nuts ASAP.

I had a dodge dakota in the tire shop that ended my career there. 2 pc lug nuts, 200k miles, they kept getting stuck in my socket. After the fourth or fifth one I was getting pretty mad so I thoughtlessly squeezed between two lift posts to get at my punch from my toolbox again.

I went but my foot didn't, and broke my ankle. Decided the work wasn't for me.

Workman's comp paid enough for my surgery and lost hours they'd have been better off buying the guy a brand new truck.

They swelled on my last Raptor. I bought some McGards and put them on the new truck as well. Fortunately I didn’t have to chisel any off. What a stupid design.

Hey folks, if you do replace your lug nuts, check to make sure that whatever lug wrench you have in the back fits your new lug nuts properly. Also check if the defective 2-piece lug nuts rusted out your studs. It's possible you may need to replace some studs because of the damage.

Get the good stuff.

7C0DF35A-450E-4387-9B36-EAC5246050B7.jpeg

My F150 had that problem. I bought a socket off a tool truck that's 21 mm on one end and 21 1/2 mm on the other. It stays in the center console just in case.

My F150 had that problem. I bought a socket off a tool truck that's 21 mm on one end and 21 1/2 mm on the other. It stays in the center console just in case.

Still a good idea to change the lug nuts as the rust from the defective ones can spread to the studs and damage them.

Back