Oh no, what did I do? Battery charging in vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
It still only *clicks* so I hope it is only the battery. Took 10 hours of charge from stone dead, ran all the way down, and indicated full...

I have a multimeter. What readings should I see? And, if the other new battery doesnt do it, what else could it be? All interior lights still come on. Fuse? Starter

It has not started since trying to start it with the charger hooked up. Cables are old and connections not tight.

The "click" you here is the starter solenoid engaging, but not enough current to turn the starter motor. You need to ensure CLEAN, TIGHT connections and a FULLY charged battery. It should be 12.6 VDC after charging. Check it well after pulling it off the charger.

You need a stronger charger. A 2 or 5 amp charger will do next to nothing to a stone dead automotive 12V battery.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: WhamR22
Cables are old and connections not tight.

Well that could be a problem!

The poor connection probably did not allow the battery to charge properly when driving. Much less transmit starting current. Sounds like the battery is toast. Since you have an alternator on the way, get a good battery and make sure the cables are clean and able to be tightened. Other wise replace the battery cables lest you ruin a good alternator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back