OH NO>>>ENGINE IS FRIED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Briggs 16 HP Vanguard seized and has a broken piston rod due to oil stravation I was told. Oil was full and recently changed a couple weeks back.

The mechanic sid it was because instead of using the B&S oil filter I went and listened to somebody and used a M-1 102 instead. The M-1 created too much resistance and the oil pump did not have the where with all to pump enough oil through it and it did not bypass.

He claims to have seen this occur a few times.

Probably $1,200 to replace...so I decided to trash it and get a new Simplicity tractor...this one lasted 19 yrs but should have made it much longer I feel.

Not happy right now...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
????

Do you still have the filter?

That sucks, btw. Very sorry about it.

I took the oil filter off and it was full of fresh clean oil. I am really haveing a funny feeling that my decision not to use the tiny Briggs filter was a mistake. The B&S filter may not filter near as well but the flow is better. In these engines I think flow concerns outweigh filtration concerns.

The vanguard was a commercial engine that lawn services run to 2000 hour sometimes..I got perhaps 2/3 of that...after I switched to the M-1 oil filter it died in a month before I could figure out what was happening.

Moral of the story is that sticking with a manufacturer's product is the way to go on oil filters from my experience.

Last edited:
Well, what about the Wix replacement which is supposed to have the same (or very similar) properties as the OEM filter? It's numbers are the same as the M1-102 if I'm not mistaken.

...checking now...

3/4" X 16 threads 8-11 PSI Bypass
Gasket 2.734"OD 2.430"ID 0.226" THK

^^^ that is supposed to be what the spec. is - unless they use a very different filter media... I guess if a briggs is dissected and found to have a substantially different media then we'd know, but that's really the only difference there could be.

Last edited:
That sounds alittle strange. The 102 is used on some car and truck engines that should be flowing a bunch more oil that the Vanguard.

Are you going to inspect your deceased engine? One place to start is the oil pump and see if it was worn out or the oil pressure relief spring failed.

How much oil pressure do those engine normally run?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Yes, they do have a nitrile bypass.

You mean nitrile ADBV, right?

So Pablo.... what are you thinking caused my situation of oil starvation.?

Oil level was fline...no burning oil ever...everything fine...could hear a bit of a metal rub sound when on a slight incline lately on incines going over to the M-1 filter...

I just didn't put 2+2 together fast enough.

I am skeptical too.... oddly enough, the owners manual for my 1992 Mercruiser stated specifically to not use a full depth oil filter because it may reduce the flow. although the M1 is not a full depth filter.

I also believe that part of the reason that lawn services get lots of hours out of equipment is because they run them alot. In your case, 19 years is not too bad. I know, still not fair.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Yes, they do have a nitrile bypass.

You mean nitrile ADBV, right?

33.gif

I'm an idiot.
And, yeah they do have a bypass if I'm not mistaken.

Having a hard time 2 with this,lots of B&S running aftermarket filters without issues at all,i'm running a PL10241 on my 18.5 and a PureONE they say is very restrictive compare to most it does have a 18psi bypass in it tho compared to the stock briggs i think 12 or 15. A m1 isn't that restrictive especially if you went over sized.

these small engines put out some impressive oil pressure around 50-60 psi cold and 30-40 hot.

i would say oil pump failure.

Originally Posted By: Pete591
Briggs 16 HP Vanguard seized and has a broken piston rod due to oil stravation I was told. Oil was full and recently changed a couple weeks back.

The mechanic sid it was because instead of using the B&S oil filter I went and listened to somebody and used a M-1 102 instead. The M-1 created too much resistance and the oil pump did not have the where with all to pump enough oil through it and it did not bypass.

He claims to have seen this occur a few times.

Probably $1,200 to replace...so I decided to trash it and get a new Simplicity tractor...this one lasted 19 yrs but should have made it much longer I feel.

Not happy right now...

You might be able to fix it... My dad bought an old WHITE brand tractor with a B&S engine that had been run with no oil and seized for $50!
shocked2.gif

He took it all apart and ordered a replacement con-rod and re-honed the cylinder. He also welded the aluminum block where the rod punched a hole in it.

He put it all back together and sold it for $500 just today.

Engine runs perfectly fine!
thumbsup2.gif

Here is the B&S filter that came off my 16hp Vanguard. Pretty well constructed filter, just not worth what they charge IMO.

bs2.jpg

bs3.jpg

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Pete,

What oil were you running in that B&S?

I have always run a 15W-50 synthetic for 19 yrs.

Motul 15W-50 300V Diester was in there when it blew.

Anyone think it was the wrong choice of oil that did it?

Originally Posted By: Pete591
Motul 15W-50 300V Diester was in there when it blew.

Anyone think it was the wrong choice of oil that did it?

Thats a pretty well built loaded oil,i highly doubt it. How long was it running before it let go? up to temp?? what's cSt 40 and 100 on this oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back