Oh Happy Day

Year or so ago the son got a job at McD's. I've been the one to drive him back and forth, which kinda sets part of the schedule for Sat/Sun. Today was the first time he could drive himself. :)

[Unfortunately I'm still dog sitting until that poor creature checks out, so my weekend is still not quite my own.]

It's a bit nerve wracking, but wow is it nice.

Only downside is that, since wrecking a car, now I really do need another one in the stable. 3 drivers, 3 cars. With one more driver coming by spring. :( Awesome time to be shopping--not.

Last edited:
Corolla is best first car for teen.
Leaning towards Camry, or whatever has side air bags. Although I'm halfway tempted for it to be "my" vehicle, I'm not sure why dad has to drive the oldest/worst vehicle in the family.

My crystal ball says 2003 Avalon. :)
Ha! only if it was for me, it'd be nice to have a car with something resembling "power" again.

My middle daughter (21) has a 2000 Avalon that I freshened.....Highly recommended if you can find one in good shape!
I’ve read that the v6 is hard to service. So i’ve shied away.

Avalon should be same chassis as my Camry, right? seems like a nice setup.

I’ve read that the v6 is hard to service. So i’ve shied away.

Avalon should be same chassis as my Camry, right? seems like a nice setup.
Everyone says that, but being a Toyota V6 it rarely needs service anyways so it doesn't matter IMO. Yes plugs on the rear bank are a PITA but realistically that's a once and done job.

I feel your pain. I've got 3 that are driving age, but only 1 with a license at this point. Finding a decent kid car that's affordable is not easy unless you have the ability and resources to work on them yourself.

Ergo skipping the V6. ;)

Made the mistake of looking at Autotrader for another Camry, now my day is shot… geez did boring old cars get expensive or what.

Reactions: JTK
Had I only known.....the neighbor's car -a VG+ 2010 Accord- is effectively sold after much machination (lost title/added drama).
They transfer the money and plates tomorrow.
The story of a pain free sale between BITOGers would've been good reading.

FYI: The new driver's grandma gets points for ceasing the moment. Good car with great, affirmable maintenance...slightly overpriced due to market but nowhere near excessive. In fact, grandma herself determined the offer. I had zero to do with the sale beyond organizing the records.

Good luck finding used cars. Go local and get up early so you're first to their houses.

Last edited:
Back