Oh cr@p moment when changing the oil today...

I'm still stumped why you are buying a replacement for a part that will literally NEVER fail. It will not weld itself to the filter nor the engine block, it can always be removed. It's a simple pipe nipple, designed to screw in and out of things. It's sitting in a constant bath of lubricant, it's not as though it's going to rust and lock itself onto the filter. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I'm still stumped why you are buying a replacement for a part that will literally NEVER fail. It will not weld itself to the filter nor the engine block, it can always be removed. It's a simple pipe nipple, designed to screw in and out of things. It's sitting in a constant bath of lubricant, it's not as though it's going to rust and lock itself onto the filter. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Some folks just like spending money needlessly.
🤷‍♂️

No need to get bent out of shape. It felt as if I was going to have to break out the wrench to spin it off initially. If that is the case it would damage the threads and be useless. Leaving our car in the air on ramps with no way to reattach the oil filter until I got a new part. If that case happens I want to have another on hand. If $10.22 gives me peace of mind, Ill take it!

No need to get bent out of shape. It felt as if I was going to have to break out the wrench to spin it off initially. If that is the case it would damage the threads and be useless. Leaving our car in the air on ramps with no way to reattach the oil filter until I got a new part. If that case happens I want to have another on hand. If $10.22 gives me peace of mind, Ill take it!
Couldn't you just screw it back on with the old filter in the meantime?

Couldn't you just screw it back on with the old filter in the meantime?
Why would I want to put the old filter back on and wait for a replacement part to come in...at least a week later and go through the trouble of getting all the parts back out, getting the car up on ramps, unscrewing the underbody cover and cleanup when I can just spend $10 and have a spare part on hand.

I was easily able to screw it back on the block and the new filter attached with ease.
How did you get it threaded it tight (enough) ? Are you familiar with the double-nut procedure some have referred to ?

How did you get it threaded it tight (enough) ? Are you familiar with the double-nut procedure some have referred to ?
I hand treaded it with a clean towel as tight as I could, then spun on the new filter by hand as tight as I could. It shouldn't go anywhere.

Take a deep breath everyone. While I agree with 92SaturnSL2 that it will unlikely ever need replacing due to it's location and purpose, if having an extra one on hand makes him feel better so be it. I also think that if an aftermarket supplier sells and stocks it, there's a demand for it for some reason or another.

so why do you need a backup?
:unsure:
"It shouldn't go anywhere" as in during the course of this oil change, the oil filter / stud should not back off the block. Whether or not the stud becomes stuck in the oil filter again I am unsure. Have an enjoyable Sunday!

I would have gotten his name and reported both him and the dealership to VW of America. When people blatantly lie to you about things they need to suffer the consequences.

Scott
It's become so bad at so many Stealerships that it literally drives even the most trustin.....errr gullible people away from ever using them for almost anything at all, and many folks are even unnerved when going in for warranty service because they think (mostly correctly) that the shop is going to screw them over somehow some way. I know I've worked in the auto service business for decades.

Back