Oh cr@p moment when changing the oil today...

My wifes Audi A4 quattro uses the oil filter with a stud Jimmy_Russell pointed out as did a VW GTI I once owned. I've had the stud and plastic ring stay in the engine block a few times on both cars. The oil filter mounts on top of the engine and when everything goes good, you don't drip a single drop. Switched to Mahle and never had it happen since. Here is a pic what happened to me.
6945727D-6815-4A70-8C78-75C31D67CFD4_1_201_a.jpeg

No need to purchase another one (unless you plan to damage the threads somehow) as it should be easy to get off a filter if it ever comes out again.

Just buy a couple 3/4-16 (or whatever thread) nuts and tighten them against each other. Then use the top nut to tighten, or use the bottom nut to loosen. If the shaft isn't long enough to accommodate both nuts, you can pick up jam nuts which are about half the thickness (or less) of a standard nut.

Using this method you should able able to tighten that nipple plenty enough that it will never come out again.

In a pinch I've also used reverse drill bits to remove pipe nipples. Sometimes this scores the inside of the nipple a bit, but nothing a quick brush over with a dremel tool won't fix.

Does anybody know where I can purchase this part? I’ve spent about an hour researching with no luck.

Having a back up threaded piece. The part that connects the oil filter to the block.
Why do you need a backup?
Are you afraid if you let someone else do an OCI they might not notice the threaded piece has come out and haphazardly throw the old one out?
Considering there's NO other way for the filter to mount without that threaded piece, I highly doubt that'll become a reality...

Despite mine also coming off easily, I simply made sure to remove it from the old filter (if it happened to come off).
After dozens of OCI's, it performed it's job as intended and never needed replacement.
Heck, I only tightened it by hand before threading the filter on it (no oil leaks either).

Why do you need a backup?
Are you afraid if you let someone else do an OCI they might not notice the threaded piece has come out and haphazardly throw the old one out?
Considering there's NO other way for the filter to mount without that threaded piece, I highly doubt that'll become a reality...

Despite mine also coming off easily, I simply made sure to remove it from the old filter (if it happened to come off).
After dozens of OCI's, it performed it's job as intended and never needed replacement.
Heck, I only tightened it by hand before threading the filter on it (no oil leaks either).
No, I do all of our oil changes so I’m not worried about that. My concern is if the part becomes lodged in the oil filter and isn’t removable without damaging the threads. At that point I would be in a real bind with my car up on ramps and no way to complete the oil change until that part arrives.

I was going to say that when the dealer changes your oil you could have them check that out. It shouldn’t come off like that. But, since you are changing your own oil it still might be beneficial to stop by and talk to them about it. Either it wasn’t torqued to spec or a lack of sealant on the threads is to blame here. I would bet they would take care of it for you.

I was going to say that when the dealer changes your oil you could have them check that out. It shouldn’t come off like that. But, since you are changing your own oil it still might be beneficial to stop by and talk to them about it. Either it wasn’t torqued to spec or a lack of sealant on the threads is to blame here. I would bet they would take care of it for you.

I actually called them when the part came off to ask what to do before proceeding. The service advisor I spoke with immediately asked why I didn't use my 2 free oil changes. I told him I prefer to do my own. He didn't seem to like that and quickly threatened that my warranty would be voided, I shut that down quick with a firm and slightly loud "NO!" I told him that wouldn't be the case. He backpedaled a little bit at that point. These dealers are clowns!

Wow, these dealers really are ridiculous. With my Genesis since the extended warranty is until 125k miles, I of course keep receipts for oil change stuff, but toward the end I have been videoing me pouring the oil in, the receipt, and I open the door and show the odometer. Then I upload to YouTube and make it a private video.

This happened to me with a new John Deere tractor. I used a clean piece of rubber to assist gripping the nipple, turned it in as hard as possible, and it has been good for 20+ years.

I DO remember that feeling when it happened (what the ...........).

Reactions: JC1
I actually called them when the part came off to ask what to do before proceeding. The service advisor I spoke with immediately asked why I didn't use my 2 free oil changes. I told him I prefer to do my own. He didn't seem to like that and quickly threatened that my warranty would be voided, I shut that down quick with a firm and slightly loud "NO!" I told him that wouldn't be the case. He backpedaled a little bit at that point. These dealers are clowns!
I would have gotten his name and reported both him and the dealership to VW of America. When people blatantly lie to you about things they need to suffer the consequences.

Scott

I would have gotten his name and reported both him and the dealership to VW of America. When people blatantly lie to you about things they need to suffer the consequences.

Scott
I'll take action if I need too, I have zero problem with that. I'd like to have a decent relationship with our closest dealer as the other one

I actually called them when the part came off to ask what to do before proceeding. The service advisor I spoke with
Why would you call the service advisor ? Those folks may have never picked up a wrench in their life. You call the parts department if you're looking for a part.

Why would you call the service advisor ? Those folks may have never picked up a wrench in their life. You call the parts department if you're looking for a part.
At the time, I was unaware that this part was designed to come off. I thought I had a part failure on my hands and was unable to drive the car. So I called the dealer and asked what to do (under warranty). While waiting on a response I was able to dislodge the part from the oil filter by hand and thread it back on the engine. The dealer did eventually email me back asking if I was simply able to remove from the filter and reattach to the engine, which by that point had already been done.

Yes, I am aware that service advisors aren't the ones to ask about a part. However, they are the ones you would speak too about a warranty concern which is why I called.

Back