Oh cr@p moment when changing the oil today...

My wife’s new Jetta hit 1000 miles this week so I had planned on changing the oil out this weekend. I like to get any break in debris out, hence the early oil change.

I get the car up on ramps and everything is going hunky dory until I go to remove the factory oil filter. Upon removal my heart dropped, the threaded part of the engine block that you screw the oil filter onto was IN the oil filter!

I’ve changed the oil on a 1.4 TSI before and knew this didn’t look right. I thought, maybe VW changed the design and specs a different oil filter now? But then I compared part numbers of the factory filter and the OEM filter I bought to replace it, identical.

I was spiraling down, dreading to have the car towed to the dealer to have this part fixed, but I then attempted to remove this threaded part and thank goodness it came out.

I was easily able to screw it back on the block and the new filter attached with ease.

So now my question, is this normal? I’ve never had this part come off of any car that uses spin on oil filters. You would think it would all be one assembly. Clearly that wasn’t the case hear.

It makes me want to see if I could buy a spare one (if it’s even a separate part) to have on hand in case one day I can’t remove it from another oil filter.

Edit: maybe this is normal and I’ve just never seen it before? Showing my ignorance here.

Attachments

• 19B7FA8C-ED2B-405E-996A-68A8D984A075.jpeg
    19B7FA8C-ED2B-405E-996A-68A8D984A075.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 157
  • DBBF23CC-9A33-413E-87A0-F9AD467C651F.jpeg
    DBBF23CC-9A33-413E-87A0-F9AD467C651F.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 160
  • F742112B-2AB1-4504-A020-24CB74DDF525.jpeg
    F742112B-2AB1-4504-A020-24CB74DDF525.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 1F773822-E970-4459-94B7-A5B8C4C3A461.jpeg
    1F773822-E970-4459-94B7-A5B8C4C3A461.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Normal to have a removable stud in case it's threads are ever damaged, it can be easily replaced. Usually never comes off during an oil change though. Ironically, VW uses an oil filter with the stud included on some models; go figure.

Sounds like you managed to put it back on without incident; Well done!

BTW, some have an internal hex to aid in securing the stud to the oil filter mount.

This happened to me years ago on a new Ford F-250. 1st oil change.
The fitting would not easily spin out of the filter so I reinstalled the old filter and fitting.
I told the owner of out tree company to take it back to the dealer.
All good.

My wife’s new Jetta hit 1000 miles this week so I had planned on changing the oil out this weekend. I like to get any break in debris out, hence the early oil change.

I get the car up on ramps and everything is going hunky dory until I go to remove the factory oil filter. Upon removal my heart dropped, the threaded part of the engine block that you screw the oil filter onto was IN the oil filter!

I’ve changed the oil on a 1.4 TSI before and knew this didn’t look right. I thought, maybe VW changed the design and specs a different oil filter now? But then I compared part numbers of the factory filter and the OEM filter I bought to replace it, identical.

I was spiraling down, dreading to have the car towed to the dealer to have this part fixed, but I then attempted to remove this threaded part and thank goodness it came out.

I was easily able to screw it back on the block and the new filter attached with ease.

So now my question, is this normal? I’ve never had this part come off of any car that uses spin on oil filters. You would think it would all be one assembly. Clearly that wasn’t the case hear.

It makes me want to see if I could buy a spare one (if it’s even a separate part) to have on hand in case one day I can’t remove it from another oil filter.

Edit: maybe this is normal and I’ve just never seen it before? Showing my ignorance here.

Happens on almost every Hyundai diesel filter the first time. Not a biggie, just annoying as the threaded part also holds the fuel heater in place.

Isn't there a hex part inside that you can use to tighten in the oil filter housing?

Normal to have a removable stud in case it's threads are ever damaged, it can be easily replaced. Usually never comes off during an oil change though. Ironically, VW uses an oil filter with the stud included on some models; go figure.

BTW, some have an internal hex to aid in securing the stud to the oil filter mount.
I was relieved that I was able to spin it out by hand. We will see what happens next oil change.

Happens on almost every Hyundai diesel filter the first time. Not a biggie, just annoying as the threaded part also holds the fuel heater in place.

Isn't there a hex part inside that you can use to tighten in the oil filter housing?
I looked but it was smooth as a baby’s behind.

This happened to me years ago on a new Ford F-250. 1st oil change.
The fitting would not easily spin out of the filter so I reinstalled the old filter and fitting.
I told the owner of out tree company to take it back to the dealer.
All good.
Sounds like this is common. Thank you for the reassurance. I don’t feel so bad now.

No biggie and happens all the time. Someone at VW building engines didn't tighten that one up too much.

Looks like its 3/4-16 all the way. Cool.... now I can use an 3/4-16 to 20mm or 22mm nipple to match some of the other cars in the driveway.

Ditto on a good thread block/nipple cleaning and some blue loctite or thread sealer to hold it in its place

My OE filter was made in Turkey. Looks like your engine got the Made in Germany one from the factory.

I use the Fram XG3600 or XG2870a's on mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know when I did the first oil change on my Wifes 2017 1.4L Turbo in signature -- I have NEVER removed a filter that was that tight before. Knuckles bleeding/sweating profuciously and making up new swear words every other second. Nothing but the filter came off though.

I second putting loctite on it either orange which is high strength but removable without heat or blue or purple. Definitely don’t do red though. Very strange problem too. I’ve never had the threaded part come out on me.

yep

1611957812565.png

Oddly enough I had the same issue on a VW I owned years ago.
The vehicle was an 84 Rabbit (horrible junker that always found new and creative ways of breaking, despite being a base model with all manual features i.e. windows, steering, locks etc.).

Since then I've avoided all VW products.

No biggie and happens all the time. Someone at VW building engines didn't tighten that one up too much.

Looks like its 3/4-16 all the way. Cool.... now I can use an 3/4-16 to 20mm or 22mm nipple to match some of the other cars in the driveway.

Ditto on a good thread block/nipple cleaning and some blue loctite or thread sealer to hold it in its place

My OE filter was made in Turkey. Looks like your engine got the Made in Germany one from the factory. I wonder if the Turks pissed off the Krauts.

I use the Fram XG3600 or XG2870a's on mine.

I guess I have been living in a cave because this is the first time I have seen this kind of thing happen.

Also, nobody has used the K word to describe Germans for decades. On top of that I believe the Jetta is built in Mexico. Someone correct me if I am wrong on that.

The word kraut is now verboten? Most Germans are pretty easy going so I can't see them getting bent out of shape over that word, and besides it's not auto blocked which means it must be OK.

Back