Off throttle backfire/popping/burble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my Honda (1992 Accord DX 5-speed) I've noticed recently that there is a pronounced slight popping from the exhaust when I lift my foot off the throttle. Not continuously, but just when my foot lifts.

A bit over a month ago my exhaust fell off on the Mass Pike :) It separated just before the muffler. It was very loud, and the noise was very obvious then. Obviously I quickly got the exhaust fixed, and I've noticed that the new exhaust is a bit larger and louder than it was previously. I can still hear the popping noise.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

No, it's not a concern. I had the same issue when I had a small exhaust leak on my Mustang. I had a friend who removed his mufflers and it would do the same thing.

My carburated 80 Crown Vic also backfired when I did a foot lift at highway speeds. But it only did it when the converters had turned into swiss cheese. The car was in tune and running fine otherwise. I used to see people around me jump when it backfired!

Originally Posted By: spinfire
What is the cause? Lack of backpressure? Or is that just making it louder?

I believe it's the presence of extra oxygen being introduced to the hot exhaust, which may still contain some volatile elements and causing it to combust in an abrupt manner, resulting in the "pop".

You say you can "still hear the popping noise"was it there before?before the muffler fell off did it have a audible leak?Is the check engine light on?

Means there is incomplete combustion in the cylinder during off-throttle. Fuel is igniting in the exh system instead. Those Honda's normally crack the throttle open by emssions controls during deceleration to promote clean burning. Just fyi. No biggie besides that.

M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back