Off Road Diesel in 2005 Cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.

JXW

Started running off road high sulfur fuel in the cummins and noticed considerable difference in the power curve as it had increased (at least seemed to by the but dyno) quite nicely. The wife went out of state and put ULSD back in it and I ran it today seemed pretty sluggish and not as willing as with the offraod fuel. Is the off road stuff better for this year of Cummins 5.9? it has a cat in the exhaust.

Who told you the off-road diesel was high sulfur?

Since 2010,off-road diesel is the same ULSD you buy at the local gas station. It just isn't taxed and has a red dye added.

+1 for the rather substantial fines if caught.

The pump states high sulphur diesel with a green sticker. It does run better than the ULSD maybe its the red dye? grin.

Originally Posted By: JXW
The pump states high sulphur diesel with a green sticker. It does run better than the ULSD maybe its the red dye? grin.

Diesel Fuel
Knapp Energy offers a variety of diesel fuels to meet your needs. Deliveries can be made to storage tanks or to directly to equipment.

On-Road, Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel & Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel, Light or Clear
Since October 15th of 2006, Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel has become the predominant fuel in the United States. ULSD has only 15 ppm sulfur content and therefore its use should improve air quality over time. The clear or light color indicates the fuel is taxable for on road use.

Off-Road, High Sulfur Diesel Fuel, Dark Red or Pink
Off road High Sulfur Diesel Fuel is recommended for use in most heavy equipment and unlicensed vehicles that do not travel on the roadways.

Premium Diesel Fuel, On or Off Road
Premium Diesel Fuel is a special fuel formulation which has added starting and cold weather additives and is highly recommended from October through March.

Originally Posted By: JXW
Off road diesel fines are heavy but I think they look more for commercial rigs than 3/4 trucks...

I can imagine it would vary according to the type of setting, but people in the rural areas around here tell me that if you are stopped, you are likely to get checked, especially if you have a work, farm or construction truck, or one with an equipment fueling tank on board. Just be mindful.

Quote:
Since 2010,off-road diesel is the same ULSD you buy at the local gas station. It just isn't taxed and has a red dye added.
It depends on what the supplier and retailer want to stock. There is 500 ppm low sulfur #2 diesel available from many refiners, but that requires the distributor and retailer to have extra tankage. (And I don't know at what point in the distribution chain the dye is added.) There are still some older marine and industrial engines that do not have the seals and o-rings that'll handle the ultra low sulfur fuel with it's ultra low level of aromatics. (The aromatic compounds are removed as a result of the hydrotreating of the fuel to remove the sulfur.)

While the sulfur in the fuel does provide an energy source to be burned, I suspect the reason the original poster's engine ran better was due to higher spec for the fuel, not the sulfur content. Higher cetane is one possible spec that could affect the engine's performance.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
While the sulfur in the fuel does provide an energy source to be burned, I suspect the reason the original poster's engine ran better was due to higher spec for the fuel, not the sulfur content. Higher cetane is one possible spec that could affect the engine's performance.

Interesting, I hadnt thought of that, but it makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back