Off Duty cop shot in NYC buying car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

Last edited:
Very sad story. The officer did not deserve this, I am sorry for his family and friends. His death was wrong and a real shame. Extremely unfair to his parents, Wife, and two children.

Lots of lessons learned here, but one that we should all be aware of is it is no longer considered to be safe ever to conduct a transaction for a inspection/ purchase of any item from a third party.

Listen to WCBS NY terrestrial radio late night/early morning, and I heard about it not long after it happened. Then last night heard they caught the perp. Didn't read Post, but 880 said he was part of crew they've been after suspected in a string of burglaries.

Tragic and senseless. I guess if there's a lesson, if any doubt about personal safety related to transaction, time, place, etc., don't go. Lot of sickos out there.

Reactions: pbm

Sadly, the PO died this morning.

PS: I post this story as a warning to those who carry large sums of cash to 'buy' things posted on CL, FB etc...
Sickening, a certain percentage of human beings are truly defective more than any other animal on earth, we are the worst and
think we are so superior.

Why is someone like that out on the streets? Let me guess. Juries cant be told of his priors or public defenders supported by the taxpayers do their best to get him off with a light sentence, if any.

Because we the tax payers as a whole do not want to pay for it. Plea deals are made because if every case went to jury trial, we would need 20 times the judges, staff and courtrooms. Plus people would moan about doing their civic duty because your odds of serving jury duty would be much higher.
Than there is the cost of housing inmates.

I'm taking a wild guess and this is my opinion of what might have happened.

Unfortunately, the perp used the element of surprise and had the upper hand. The cop was caught off guard when the perp pointed a gun at him. The cop didn't comply and tried to apprehend the perp and was shot.

I'm taking a wild guess and this is my opinion of what might have happened.

Unfortunately, the perp used the element of surprise and had the upper hand. The cop was caught off guard when the perp pointed a gun at him. The cop didn't comply and tried to apprehend the perp and was shot.
I am thinking along a different line. Cops are no longer allowed to make a wrong/ bad decision-ever. Not many professions have that constraint.

A top leader is expected to make seven to eight out of ten decisions right. That leader will always be in demand. A leader that makes ten out of ten decisions correct- never made a decision and will not be in demand over the long term. Cops are likely being "afraid/waiting" to make a decision, out of concern it will be the wrong decision. And that exposes cops and others to grave harm/ loss of life.

Plus people would moan about doing their civic duty because your odds of serving jury duty would be much higher.
Then pay them a reasonable amount, not the $15 a day that may have been ok back in 1940.

Than there is the cost of housing inmates.
Make them earn their keep busting rocks or laying asphalt for road crews, or else they get just bread and water and sleep in unheated cells. But then of course somebody has to come along and point out that would be cruel and unusual punishment, completely ignoring the punishment he gave to his victim.

Reactions: pbm
We have a small police department, that encourages such transactions to be held in their parking lot. They have security cameras.

If you ask, they will even send an officer outside for security, for added measures.
Benefits of small town living.

I've had a few people meet me at work, which just happens to be attached to the courthouse and all 50 cameras we have around. I'll go so far as to let my control room operator know to keep an eye out, just in case.

Most people are 100% good with it, but I've had one or two that backed out as soon as I named the spot. Whether they figured out I was a deputy and didn't want any part of it, or were genuinely backing out for other reasons, I'll never know, but I assume that's at least part of it.

Police here in my community, and other Bay Area communities and communities across the country, make the police station available for people who want to conduct transactions initiated on Craig's List et. al.

CLICK HERE

Was he shot because of being a cop or shot just because of a robbery ? Not that one is any better than the other. Just waiting to find out.

Police here in my community, and other Bay Area communities and communities across the country, make the police station available for people who want to conduct transactions initiated on Craig's List et. al.

CLICK HERE
Ideal IMO wherever someone can take advantage of this. If it isn't an option, business parking lot on busy local road during the day. Like 97% of my Craigslist or FB Marketplace interactions have been fine, but I have met some truly odd people in a couple of transactions. Most harmless and just weird but it obviously just takes one time for something to go wrong.

Was he shot because of being a cop or shot just because of a robbery ? Not that one is any better than the other. Just waiting to find out.
As I understand it...the PO and his brother in law went to buy the Honda Pilot with $24K (IDK how much was in cash). The perp said the car was in the parking lot and as they walked through an alleyway he pounced. I don't think he knew that the victim was a PO.

PS: IMO, if Randy Jones was executed within a year (for this murder while in commission of a felony)...there would be more room in jail for lesser offenders. I agree with Atikovi that inmates should have to work (jail shouldn't be for lifting weights and becoming bigger stronger criminals when released). Working in areas of NYC similar to East New York (where this happened) we could always tell the guys that just got out of prison...they were built like NFL players.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back