Off Brand Gas

Is it worth it to pay a little more for a brand name gas as opposed to "Sav On Gas"?
Do the Mobil/Shell etc. add extra additives that would make it worth the extra few cents?

It pays to buy fuel at a station with high turnover.

I've read here that fuels start out all the same with Premium brands adding their additive packages when the fuel delivery trucks are loaded.
I don't know but I "think" a better fuel is cheaper than buying $4 to $16 bottles of stuff from an auto parts store.

A CGT station near me (Cheapest Gas in Town) sold regular which made my check engine light come on. If the gas is the same, I assume the octane rating has to be the same. Ergo, they watered in the gas and let the alcohol carry the water through the system?

With the kroger fuel points, and shell fuel points, the price for Shell gas comes right in line with everyone else so I stick with that.

And its right up the street.

Once a month I end up with around 70 cents off a gallon from kroger fuel rewards.

With the kroger fuel points, and shell fuel points, the price for Shell gas comes right in line with everyone else so I stick with that.

And its right up the street.

Once a month I end up with around 70 cents off a gallon from kroger fuel rewards.
I used to use the Kroger fuel points but after shopping at Walmart for food I saved more money from the food cost vs Krogers that the Kroger fuel points meant nothing to me...

I stick with the brand names. There seems to be more and more generic brand gas stations around though.

As long as the station is clean, high volume, and well lit, it's fine by me.
I'll utilize any and all fuel discounts (Kroger, GetGo, etc,) plus use one of two CC's that get me 4% back.
Wherever Gas Buddy tells me to go for the best deal, I'm there.
If the station happens to be one of the "Blessed Brand Names" praised by the "Top Tier Gods," then I'm fine with that, too.

I go with the cheapest Top Tier I can find which is usually Costco, Citgo or Meijers. Gas Buddy is your friend!
On a side note, gas here in Motown is finally below $3 at some stations…

Costco gets the best quality gas and cheapest price by far in my part of the country.

A gallon is still over $4 which is absolutely crazy.

Is it worth it to pay a little more for a brand name gas as opposed to "Sav On Gas"?
Do the Mobil/Shell etc. add extra additives that would make it worth the extra few cents?
Actually they do. BP started it, under penalty from the EPA I think, but then continued as a marketing feature. Then Top Tier was invented so everyone could get in on the action.
Keep in mind, like anything else, quantity does not always mean quality. Some additive may be more effective at reducing the issues that drivers face. Techron has become a favorite, but I'm not certain exactly why.

Where does their gasoline come from?
Same place everyone else's come from in that area, the nearest fuel terminal. Additives (and ethanol) are added at that point.
And I say that withing reason, since I know of several terminals that are side by side, so they share the same pipeline. That doesn't mean that some brand specific products can be shipped by that same pipeline. The terminal end can make the pipeline cuts on the fly. That way the flow never stops moving.

All the gas in my area comes from the same pipe. There may be a slight difference in the addatives they add when they fill the truck

Imo there is no reason to spend more for name brand gas
Same here in Louisville....

If your car runs on premium you will likely feel the difference. Stations dilute premium with regular. So for a car that runs on premium I only buy brand name.

For DI I try to buy top tier.

Actually they do. BP started it, under penalty from the EPA I think, but then continued as a marketing feature. Then Top Tier was invented so everyone could get in on the action.
Keep in mind, like anything else, quantity does not always mean quality. Some additive may be more effective at reducing the issues that drivers face. Techron has become a favorite, but I'm not certain exactly why.
Yep I saw a study done a year or two ago that as far as amount of detergents added, Exxon was the best 87 octane and Shell V-Power was the best premium fuel compared to everyone else. Now here's the rub what is the optimum amount of detergents needed to keep your fuel system clean. Just because it has the highest volume of detergent additives, doesn't mean it's that much better of a fuel. No one seems to say that X grams per gallon is optimum but X + 10 grams must be better, not always. I do run Shell exclusively in my vehicals. The cost of Shell gasoline compared to the other stations around me is the same, except BP it's always the most expensive gas station in my area.

Shell and BP are consistently the highest priced premium fuel here in Northern Virginia. My car requires premium and my truck recommends it. I typically only buy from Sheetz or Costco because they are the cheapest. I’ve never noticed any difference in the way my vehicles run, but the mileage is always worse with Shell V-power.

Ironically the best mileage always came from no name 7 eleven 93 octane in both my car and truck. I tested this theory over the course of several tanks of fuel.

You can check online for a list of "top tier" fuel to ensure its quality.

Back