OEMs That Use Break-in Oil?

Originally Posted by Trav
Where do you get your "facts"? A CS person parroting from a printed cheat sheet? LOL

Read my first response (question) in this thread. I asked the simple question of who can accurately answer the OP's question. Nothing more.

I'm not sure if anyone specifically uses a break in oil these days. But two manufacturers stand out to me compared to the rest regarding engine break in. Honda specifically says to NOT drain the oil prior to the first scheduled oci, and Chrysler RECOMMENDS brief WOT to help seat the rings, according the the owners manual. Yes, it's recommended to briefly WOT your Chrysler Pacifica when it's new. Make sure your kids are buckled up.

Technically Honda doesn't use "Break in oil" but they say to ensure the proper engine break-in, the factory-fill oil needs to remain in the engine until your first maintenance interval. The only difference between the factory fill oil and the Honda replacement oil is the Molybdenum lubricant that is applied to specific engine components. It's even states it in the owner's manual of my Accord. With that said, it seems Toyota and Honda( and I am sure there are other brands) like using high moly oils in their engines. I have l always used oils that are high in moly on my vehicles (Toyota, Lexus and Honda) and have had great results. Just my preference when I do oil changes.

Last edited:
BMW does a 1200 mile break-in service on their M-models (Engine code designated with an "S"). The service includes an engine oil and rear diff fluid exchange.

I suspect they perform this service for the rear differential and throw in the engine oil change because their customers would expect it. However, there's always a chance they use a break-in oil.

Last edited:
If I had a new vehicle or freshly rebuilt engine I would change the first fill early and put a moly and or zddp supplement in the refill (zddp for my old flat tappet v8s if I put a fresh can and lifters in). I'm sure the only reason they don't want you changing it early is because of that assembly lube.

i've had/have anything from hondas to hemis and all of them i've dumped the FF early...never had an oil-related engine failure or any failure for that matter.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
If I had a new vehicle or freshly rebuilt engine I would change the first fill early and put a moly and or zddp supplement in the refill (zddp for my old flat tappet v8s if I put a fresh can and lifters in). I'm sure the only reason they don't want you changing it early is because of that assembly lube.

If you look at real break in oils they are spec for about 400 miles of use not much more.

https://www.drivenracingoil.com/br30-break-in-5w-30-motor-oil-quart.html

Back