OEM transmission filter or aftermarket filter on f150

Curious if there are any issues with aftermarket filters for the 6r80 transmission? Or should I just get one out of the Ford dealership? I have not even checked their prices yet and may just be a mute point. I will replace the transmission pan with one that has a drain bolt too…because Ford thinks we don’t need to change the fluid ever🤦‍♂️.

For the filter, OEM

Even though the gasket says reusable, I'd replace it anyway. I don't like reusing gaskets.

Also, if your transmission doesn't have a drain plug, get an aftermarket pan that has one. It will make future fluid changes much easier because you won't have to drop the pan anymore :D

Some of those pans come with gaskets, and some don't. Either way, don't use the gasket that comes with the pan, as they are usually low quality. Instead, buy a new OE gasket.

Make sure the drain plug bolt is on tight. The drain plugs on those pans are often somewhat loose and not as tight as they are supposed to be, so just double check before you refill the transmission.

I’ve had minor issues with aftermarket filters, such as loose fits or not clicking into place. If the 6r80 filter is anything like the 10r80 filter, absolutely go oem. The one in the 10r80 is a thermally-actuated work of a rube-goldburg piece of art, I mean, as far as filters go. It has a thermally-moved flap to force hotter fluid into tighter filtration, while letting cooler, thicker fluid flow easier.

Back