OEM plugs replaced at 93k. '07 Camry 4cyl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced the spark plugs in my Dad's 07 Camry today. I'm concerned how the old ones look. This car consumes about 1 quart of oil every 1000-1500k miles. I used the same p/n as the old for the new plugs(NGK Iridium). Car idles and runs smoother. Overall acceleration is better.

Should I be concerned? Engine running too lean?
20141101_221837.jpg

Last edited:
Those look like they've been run too hot. AKA, that engine's running lean.

Related to the plugs and how they came to look like that, how in the world is a 7 year old 4-banger Camry burning that much oil?

Its a known defect with the valve guides. Only affects 2007 4 cylinders. Toyota won't own up to it.

Looks like ash deposits, which can be caused by oil burning.

1 quart of oil every 1000-1500 miles does seem like a lot for that car.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
how in the world is a 7 year old 4-banger Camry burning that much oil?

good question! wifey's 04 camry is now @ 197k and doesn't even burn a drop of oil. OCI is still set @ 5k with PYB or QState green.

Me lucky? Perhaps so. But the again: didn't do diddly squat other than regular oil change and annual PCV valve cleaning (still on OE metal PCV valve).

Against most posters: I use Autolite platinum plugs on my wifey's camry (this is the 2nd set I bought a few years back from wallymart, and when this set is done, I'll have to go back to NGK G-pwr).

Q.

Look in the intake [throttle body] for signs it's ingesting oil. Plugged pcv valve/hoses and/or plugged air filter might be the cause.

It was the first year of its generation. Car was built 8/06. In fact, when they purchased it, the dealer only had a couple on the lot.

Just google something along the lines of "07 Camry oil burning" and you'll get a plethora of results. I believe there's even a class action lawsuit about the issue.

Toyota: most overrated auto maker evar!

Originally Posted By: maximus
It was the first year of its generation. Car was built 8/06. In fact, when they purchased it, the dealer only had a couple on the lot.

Just google something along the lines of "07 Camry oil burning" and you'll get a plethora of results. I believe there's even a class action lawsuit about the issue.

Toyota: most overrated auto maker evar!

My experience has been different - they owned up to the potential inverter issues on some of the Gen 3 Prius (2010-2014) and offered 15-year/unlimited mileage warranty on the inverter.

With that said, those plugs do look quite fouled by the deposits.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Not lean. White is from the oil.

+1 have rebuilt a few oil burner, their plugs look like that

two oil burners were mine, put in new plugs, 2k later the plugs looked almost as bad as the ones in the picture, rebuilt engine, installed new plugs, checked 2k later, looked new, straight forward solution.

your engine burns oil from a design flaw, I read plenty on it from trying to figure out why our family's 06 camry burned oil, the 06 burns oil from the same oil return holes flaw as the 1zz-fe engines. Your 07 burns oil from a different issue that i forgot(didn't care because I didn't own one), I learned about the 06 only from leakyseals(member on here)

My concern is the same as TomCat's - deposits like this generally appear from fuel additives. What kind of Frankenbrew is being poured in the tank? If none, then it might be a good idea to change petrol stations.

The car has never had any off the shelf additives. Its driven 90 highway miles daily.

It sounds like the only solution is a rebuild. So much for Toyota's legendary "quality." "Rolls eyes"

Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted By: maximus
The car has never had any off the shelf additives. Its driven 90 highway miles daily.

It sounds like the only solution is a rebuild. So much for Toyota's legendary "quality." "Rolls eyes"

Thanks for the replies.

Adding oil ($10 more per 5k/OCI) is not a solution?...if the engine runs smooth and "sure" (no signs of imminent destruction) adding oil seems a pretty easy fix....along with checking (changing if needed) $30 worth of plugs in a few years/50k miles ...over 50k miles that's $80....cheap "fix" too.

Last edited:
Sure that will keep the car running, but it doesn't fix the oil burning issue. Its just sad that my dad chose a Toyota specifically to avoid these kinds of issues.

I'll be using maxlife for the duration.

Did I read that these plugs have 90000+ miles on them?
I'd expect plugs with that kind of usage to have deposits,in fact Id expect them to be worse.
That's alot of fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back