OEM pads and rotors vs Akebono legit question

rcs

Hi Guys, I am in a bit of a quandary. Analysis paralysis so to speak. When I purchased my 2015 Honda Pilot, the brakes and rotors lasted approximately 30,000 miles or so. I do only city driving. My second set were Akebono's pads and rotors. For some reason at the 3 year mark the pads became loose in the clips,...it could have been installation error. That aside....

BUT here is my question,...if OEM Honda pads and rotors are "crap" (this is what I have read, not my opinion) and I have also read that Akebono makes
the pads and rotors for Honda, then why are Akebono aftermarket better than OEM???
Please don't take this as a controversial statement. I am not trying to cause an argument here.. I am just a gal trying to make an informed decision, as to whether I have the dealership put on OEM or go to an independent shop and have them put on Akebono pads and rotors.
I can have the dealership put on the Akebono pads, but you cannot purchase the rotor's. They are made by WorldPac for Akebono (this is what Akebono told me when I called them) and only professional shops can purchase them.
Thanks in advance for your time and expertise in answering my question.

I have used OEM Honda pads since 2004 on different Honda cars that I have owned and never had any issues with OEM Honda pads...I will get around 60000 on the front pads and sometimes more and around 60 to 70000 on the rear. Never ever had any issues with them.. They come complete with the required shims and grease....So in my opinion the Honda OEM pads work for me and I know they fit exactly on my Honda..IMO

Go OEM. The Akebono pads are quality pads but I personally never got the mileage from them that the OEM provides. Used Akebono on Hondas and BMW and the experience was the same. I will say they were quiet and dust free…

Thanks so very much hrv and PontiacHO! I really value the opinions of you folks who know better than I do. Being a gal I am just trying to make an informed decision. At least when going with the dealership, I will get a warranty.

Reactions: hrv
30,000 on any set of pads is pretty low IMHO - even in the city. Given neither of these worked for you very well, why not try another brand, there are at least 5 top brand manufacturers to choose from.

Raybestos EHT pads are my favorite - absolutely no affiliation. The EHT pads stop great, but in fairness they may not last even as long as what you had in the past - there a fairly soft pad and do produce quite a bit of dust. I used Centric rotors last time and they worked out fine even though they were quite cheap. I have also heard good things about Bosch.

Also, a particular brand is going to have different level of both pads and rotors - from Jobber to top end, so just choosing brand X doesn't guarantee anything either.

Last edited:
Thanks so very much hrv and PontiacHO! I really value the opinions of you folks who know better than I do. Being a gal I am just trying to make an informed decision. At least when going with the dealership, I will get a warranty.
The pads on a Honda are very easy to change esp. the front ones....

30,000 on any set of pads is pretty low IMHO - even in the city. Given neither of these worked for you very well, why not try another brand, there are at least 5 top brand manufacturers to choose from.

Raybestos EHT pads are my favorite - absolutely no affiliation. The EHT pads stop great, but in fairness they may not last even as long as what you had in the past - there a fairly soft pad and do produce quite a bit of dust. I used Centric rotors last time and they worked out fine even though they were quite cheap. I have also heard good things about Bosch.

Also, a particular brand is going to have different level of both pads and rotors - from Jobber to top end, so just choosing brand X doesn't guarantee anything either.
Thanks SC for your reply. I agree 30,000 miles is pretty low mileage for pads and rotors. It is amazing to me when I read that folks got 60,000 miles on their pads and rotors. I am not a panic stop driver,...think of me as a church lady LOL. I go to work, grocery store, church and home. I will always purchase top of the line in everything, buy once cry once is my moto
I did purchase Dynamic Friction pads and rotors Geomet 5,000 from Rock Auto with the appropriate hardware. I am just on the fence about those, since I have had read some mixed reviews about them. I will not be doing this job myself. As I mentioned I am either going to the dealership or independent shop.

I do have initial reviews somewhere on Akebono ProACT Ceramic being the smoothest, quietest, cleanest/lowest dust brake pads I've ever used while still having decent/acceptable bite & stopping power. However, I did not post a second review on how they DID NOT LAST.

Thanks SC for your reply. I agree 30,000 miles is pretty low mileage for pads and rotors. It is amazing to me when I read that folks got 60,000 miles on their pads and rotors. I am not a panic stop driver,...think of me as a church lady LOL. I go to work, grocery store, church and home. I will always purchase top of the line in everything, buy once cry once is my moto
I did purchase Dynamic Friction pads and rotors Geomet 5,000 from Rock Auto with the appropriate hardware. I am just on the fence about those, since I have had read some mixed reviews about them. I will not be doing this job myself. As I mentioned I am either going to the dealership or independent shop.
Before my daughter's 2015 Civic LX was totaled, she had 62000 miles on the OE brake pads(F: disc) & shoes(R: drum) with lots of life remaining.

Analysis paralysis- you put a name to my problem.....thanks;)

I found my 15 Accord Sport oe brakes crap- my go to is Hawk street pads, real nice improvement in feel and performance. Old pads are on the shelf- should clean them out. All this due to another warranty issue and a Honda loaner that almost put me through the windsield, the brakes were so touchy.

I do have initial reviews somewhere on Akebono ProACT Ceramic being the smoothest, quietest, cleanest/lowest dust brake pads I've ever used while still having decent/acceptable bite & stopping power. However, I did not post a second review on how they DID NOT LAST.
Oh interesting CharBaby! Good to know, that gives me more info, thank you for that! Indeed they are the smoothest, cleanest/lowest dust brake pad they are very nice indeed.
You stated they did not last but how many miles did you get out of them? Are you city or highway driving?

Analysis paralysis- you put a name to my problem.....thanks;)

I found my 15 Accord Sport oe brakes crap- my go to is Hawk street pads, real nice improvement in feel and performance. Old pads are on the shelf- should clean them out. All this due to another warranty issue and a Honda loaner that almost put me through the windsield, the brakes were so touchy.
:),..analysis paralysis is my middle name with the added letters of OCD LOL.
So did you purchase the Hawk Street pads because you have a sport vehicle? I have to look those up, I have heard good things about them.

:),..analysis paralysis is my middle name with the added letters of OCD LOL.
So did you purchase the Hawk Street pads because you have a sport vehicle? I have to look those up, I have heard good things about them.
No- I have settled on them as a good street pad where they work out of the driveway (don't need to heat up), I have them on all my vehicles- don't remember how I settled on them. Honda pads had a lot of life in them- but the braking was uninspiring. The HPS are the ones I usually use- Hawk did't make a complete set for my car and had to go with their 5.0 on the rear.

No- I have settled on them as a good street pad where they work out of the driveway (don't need to heat up), I have them on all my vehicles- don't remember how I settled on them. Honda pads had a lot of life in them- but the braking was uninspiring. The HPS are the ones I usually use- Hawk did't make a complete set for my car and had to go with their 5.0 on the rear.
Great to know thank you. I appreciate the real life review! Lord knows being in Michigan I need something that works right away and not having to worry if it is going to work when it is 20 degrees outside😟

I just had my brakes done with 125k miles on the factory pads on my Camry. The shop said there was still life on them but they giving some vibration during braking so I had them changed out along with the rotors.

In the past I've researched different pads and review reviews but I never noticed any performance or longevity differences between the name-brand pads and the jobber pads so I don't stress about that anymore. I'd take my car to a local trusted independent shop for brakes instead of the dealership.

I just had my brakes done with 125k miles on the factory pads on my Camry. The shop said there was still life on them but they giving some vibration during braking so I had them changed out along with the rotors.

In the past I've researched different pads and review reviews but I never noticed any performance or longevity differences between the name-brand pads and the jobber pads so I don't stress about that anymore. I'd take my car to a local trusted independent shop for brakes instead of the dealership.
Thanks Leo99. Wow that is truly amazing that you were able to obtain that many miles on factory pads! Appreciate your time and response, ore food for thought.

If someone else is doing these for you - how do you know its time for brake pads? Have you pulled a wheel and looked for yourself, or is someone telling you.

If your wearing them out in 30K and your not an aggressive driver then perhaps the caliper pins are rusty and there sticking - or maybe a caliper itself.

I don't like brake shops as there always trying to sell something you don't need, but I don't like the dealer either because you end up with the lowest man on the totem or the one that gets the job is PO's that he has been told to change brakes. However if I was going to the dealer I would simply let them use OEM likely?

If you have a indy you trust, I would likely go that way. Let them know there wearing out in 30K and you don't know why - its not your driving. The risk however is they fire the parts cannon at it and your into it for a couple grand for brakes.

Good luck!

rsc,
I believe that I replaced the Akebono at ~ 28,000-30,000 miles.
IIRC, I may have been able to eek out a few more miles as each corner of the car wore the pads a little more/less.
But it was a good time & convenient to do them all.

If you’re paying someone else to do this job, go with OEM if you like them now.

Reputable aftermarket’s should be safe, like Raybestos or ATE, even house brands like Duralast Gold pads had served me well. But I do my own brake jobs so “slapping” another brand of pads is no big deal for me if I don’t like what I got.

Back