OEM or aftermarket, p1009 05 crv

Hey bitogers,

My 2005 Honda crv just flashed p1009 code. After searching, It comes down to the VTC solenoid.

The OEM solenoid is $308cdn from Honda. RA has an NTK brand for $81cdn. Is it better to get oem variable valve timing components?

Or aftermarket will be fine for now?

Oil level is full. I check it periodically, just did an oil change 2 weeks ago.

Yes, brake/parts cleaner is fine. Try and spray into the passages as well.

SMP or Intermotor are often unbranded OEM parts so if you can find them locally, you can look at the parts before paying for them. If they are "Made in Japan", buy it.

What’s the 1009 codes description? I’ve had times where the whole solenoid isn’t needed…just the oil pressure sensor on the solenoid goes bad and disables vtec from working (throws codes as well, but I can’t remember which codes)

Yes, brake/parts cleaner is fine. Try and spray into the passages as well.

SMP or Intermotor are often unbranded OEM parts so if you can find them locally, you can look at the parts before paying for them. If they are "Made in Japan", buy it.

Used brake cleaner on Friday morning. Code hasn't returned. If it does show up I'll look into another solenoid.

What’s the 1009 codes description? I’ve had times where the whole solenoid isn’t needed…just the oil pressure sensor on the solenoid goes bad and disables vtec from working (throws codes as well, but I can’t remember which codes)

The torque app has p1009 powertrain.

The oil pressure sensor, is that on the VTEC solenoid behind the engine?

Hey bitogers,

My 2005 Honda crv just flashed p1009 code. After searching, It comes down to the VTC solenoid.

The OEM solenoid is $308cdn from Honda. RA has an NTK brand for $81cdn. Is it better to get oem variable valve timing components?

Or aftermarket will be fine for now?
Get the NTK.
No difference will be noticed.

Is this the VTC Solenoid / Spool Valve? I used one from Napa, with a 3-year warranty. It was $115, Honda wanted $330.

I believe the spool valve is behind the engine. This is the vtc solenoid.
b69f89e417c82fa2cfbff8ba740bc0da.jpg

The check engine light has not returned after I sprayed brake cleaner and let sit to dry.

Last edited:
Back