OEM Oil “Recommendations”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per my 2016 Honda Accord (4cyl) Owners Manual,

Recommended Engine Oil:
- Honda "Genuine" Motor Oil
- Premium grade 0W-20 detergent oil with API Certification Seal

You may also use synthetic motor oil if it is labeled with the API Certification Seal.

A few thoughts,
1) API seal...don't all motor oils have this seal? Seems like a fairly basic requirement.
2) I think all 0W-20's are synthetic...so interesting that is says synthetics may be used?
3) Although it says recommended vs mandatory, there is no flexibility given for other viscosities. I have no problem using the 0W-20 as specified, but no other options given like they did back in the day.

Recommended means recommended. Not required.

And there are oils that don't have the API Certification seal for a variety of reasons, not all are nefarious.

There are some specialty oils that have manufacturer's approvals but no API certification. Many oils might have the API donut but not the ILSAC starburst.

In particular I remember Valvoline Premium Blue used to be specifically approved by Cummins. Might have even been developed with Cummins. However, it didn't have API certification for several years.

Red Line has never sought API certification but has gotten manufacturer approval for a limited number of specialty oils. Motul has a variety of oils in their "Specific" series meant for limited applications and which may not even meet API requirements for one reason or another.

Originally Posted by Tjbouwhu

Recommended Engine Oil:

You may also use synthetic motor oil if it is labeled with the API Certification Seal.

A few thoughts,
1) API seal...don't all motor oils have this seal? Seems like a fairly basic requirement.
2) I think all 0W-20's are synthetic...so interesting that is says synthetics may be used?
3) Although it says recommended vs mandatory, there is no flexibility given for other viscosities. I have no problem using the 0W-20 as specified, but no other options given like they did back in the day.

1. No
2. No Honda and A.C. Delco are blends.
3. Warranty can not be denied by using other grades most people do not dare to stray by using other grades.

https://www.amazon.com/Idemitsu-Full-Synthetic-0W-20-Engine/dp/B072KDRZFC/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1_sspa?crid=ZTNR40UQZ4MB&keywords=idemitsu+0w20+synthetic+oil&qid=1551217096&s=gateway&sprefix=idemitsu+%2Caps%2C217&sr=8-1-fkmrnull-spons&psc=1

I've always thought Harley was a weird bird with their oil recommendation. The only recommend Harley oil for their motorcycles. They don't even recommend using oil made specifically for motorcycles. The say to use a Diesel oil of the proper grade, if Harley oil is not available. And if you douse it, change it back to Harley oil ASAP. As a side note, Harley's premium priced oil does not carry a API symbol on their bottles. They used to say use a API SG oil in the manual. But there is no Special API rating for motorcycle oil, most bottles will say they meet some spec but aren't tested, It's a faith thing.,,,

Originally Posted by BigCahuna
As a side note, Harley's premium priced oil does not carry a API symbol on their bottles. They used to say use a API SG oil in the manual. But there is no Special API rating for motorcycle oil, most bottles will say they meet some spec but aren't tested, It's a faith thing.,,,

It's VERY much a Faith thing.

The "Motor Company" FULLY expects you to buy the officially branded lubricants at the same place you bought your expensive motorcycle.....

and MANY do!!!

Originally Posted by dave1251

Recommended Engine Oil:

A few thoughts,

1. No
2. No Honda and A.C. Delco are blends.(Pennzoil Gold and Valvoline Max-life are also blends)
3. Warranty can not be denied by using other grades most people do not dare to stray by using other grades.

I've always thought Harley was a weird bird with their oil recommendation. The only recommend Harley oil for their motorcycles. They don't even recommend using oil made specifically for motorcycles. The say to use a Diesel oil of the proper grade, if Harley oil is not available. And if you douse it, change it back to Harley oil ASAP. As a side note, Harley's premium priced oil does not carry a API symbol on their bottles. They used to say use a API SG oil in the manual. But there is no Special API rating for motorcycle oil, most bottles will say they meet some spec but aren't tested, It's a faith thing.,,,

Recommend vs Require : if they said "require" they would probably run afoul of consumer laws in the USA.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Recommended Engine Oil:

A few thoughts,

1. No
2. No Honda and A.C. Delco are blends.

I think SOPUS and Valvoline also make syn-blend 0W-20s (i.e. MaxLife 0W-20)...

For the OP: screw Honda and use a full syn like PP, M1, Magnatec, etc...

Originally Posted by Linctex
As a side note, Harley's premium priced oil does not carry a API symbol on their bottles. They used to say use a API SG oil in the manual. But there is no Special API rating for motorcycle oil, most bottles will say they meet some spec but aren't tested, It's a faith thing.,,,

It's VERY much a Faith thing.

The "Motor Company" FULLY expects you to buy the officially branded lubricants at the same place you bought your expensive motorcycle.....

and MANY do!!!

Motor Company?
The Edit button works fantastic here, either prior or just after sending your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back